What safely gear first?

I still on occasion cruise around town 25-35mph(not that I couldn't get serious rash or killed then either), and wear a t-shirt, shorts, shoes, and always a helmet, yes, I know the risk, and this has become rare the older I get. Anymore, I am almost always in full leathers.
Which I've always worn for any actual real riding(again yes, most accidents happen close to home, but I like my slow cruise in a t-shirt to the gas station or fast food).
I have to laugh at the guys wearing a helmet, gloves, jacket, regular shoes or riding boots...and regular jeans!
Don't you value your knees and skin on your legs? Kevlar may save skin, but needs knee protection too.
As well as, and most importantly, I don't want my manhood road rashed off...let that sink in.

I just assumed that kevlar jeans all had knee protection, guess I'll have to make sure of that when I get some. I just left Cycle Gear with a pair of Alpinestars so a jacket and Jean's are next. I'd really like a Hayabusa jacket with the kanji on it but that'll have to be ordered nobody has them in stock

Asking if a jacket is necessary is like asking if your skin is necessary. I always get a good helmet and jacket first. Boots are the last thing I worry about.

For you pro riders that are the epitome hooligans of this sport when's the next autograph signing. It's for the kids please.

Common sense isn't....common. Some people think jeans offer protection on a bike, some people don't wear seat belts in cars etc. What we take for granted as common knowledge or sense isn't necessarily known to everyone. Nothing wrong with asking questions to further one's knowledge.

Thank you

Go to a gym and roll on a wrestling mat. Every part of your body that hits the ground is a possible road rash. Boots, Jacket, helmet, gloves, pants - should be a no brainer. Sweat is how your body cools itself. Stop at a light on a hot summer day and you sweat like a pig. Pull off and the air evaporating the sweat will actually have you freezing in 90 degree weather! If you can't sweat, maybe that's the wrong time to ride?

But I dropped in on this thread because people overlook the biggest health risks to riders. You must protect your hearing. Extended exposure to the sound pressure levels experienced on bikes can impact your hearing in just a few years of riding. I have hearing loss and wear hearing aids. Audiologist said I have the "riders curve" meaning my upper frequencies are attenuated from riding. The biggest damage comes from wind noise. Protect your ears.

The second problem is eye damage. never expose your eyes directly to wind and dust. But most don't know that the UV exposure in a helmet is huge! Always use a tinted shield that is UV rated.

I got a good helmet when I got my bike and a pair of Icon gloves i'm going to trade back in but what would you experienced guys say should be the next piece? I'm thinking boots but have been told a riding jacket is a necessity then some kevlar jeans will be last. So good boots or warm weather jacket next? Is a jacket really that neccessary or just cause they look cool?
Keep in mind that jeans can be had for less than $100 and bilt has decent boots that won’t break the bank. I know some people hate bilt (cyclegear) brand, but I actually crash tested a pair of their $80 dollar boots years ago and they came out of the crash looking like hell, but my feet were fine after the crash. Your local Facebook market and Craigslist are a good place to find good, barely used, cheap gear. I recently got the girlfriend a jacket that still had the tags on it for a 1/3 of the MSRP, because the girl bought it and then got pregnant and didnt use it.

But I dropped in on this thread because people overlook the biggest health risks to riders. You must protect your hearing. Extended exposure to the sound pressure levels experienced on bikes can impact your hearing in just a few years of riding. I have hearing loss and wear hearing aids. Audiologist said I have the "riders curve" meaning my upper frequencies are attenuated from riding. The biggest damage comes from wind noise. Protect your ears.

Just to add to what Arch wrote above . I have worn foam (Howard Leight, MAX specfically) ear plugs for ever, but a few years ago I started to notice that they were not attenuating the specific frequencies that bothered me most on the bike as well as they once had. I have since tried a number of others and am currently in favor of my Decibullz molded earplugs with the memory foam inserts. Point being, you have to find what works best for you. Any protective gear is better than none, but if it is not comfortable, or easy to don, you just wont use it as you should.

I wear ballistics and they are good, they have zip out panels for breathing in the heat.

Gear isn't cheap but neither is getting road rash-get the best you can afford and ride accordingly knowing the level of your protection.

by appointment only...

Hello:

Thank you for having a great sense of humor. By appt only you literally have me on the floor rolling my :moon:off. Cheers, gday, and SHAKA Brah. For those that not sure of what Shaka is means peace it comes from my home.

Shaka.JPG

Go to a gym and roll on a wrestling mat. Every part of your body that hits the ground is a possible road rash. Boots, Jacket, helmet, gloves, pants - should be a no brainer. Sweat is how your body cools itself. Stop at a light on a hot summer day and you sweat like a pig. Pull off and the air evaporating the sweat will actually have you freezing in 90 degree weather! If you can't sweat, maybe that's the wrong time to ride?

The second problem is eye damage. never expose your eyes directly to wind and dust. But most don't know that the UV exposure in a helmet is huge! Always use a tinted shield that is UV rated.
Listen to this man’s advice. I spend up to 12hrs a day with earplugs on at work and we get hearing tests every year. In 11 years I’ve never showed anything to be concerned about and my record looks great, but I have to keep reminding my team about the importance of wearing earplugs both on and off the job. I never have issues with guys not wearing their hard hat, but is a struggle with earplugs. I honestly believe is because hearing loss sneaks up on you through the years, so people don’t think about it. I mean, think about it, we all feel the result of hitting our nogging against something, so we are very diligent at keeping our hard hats on, but the effects of not wearing your earplugs are not felt/noticed, until years later. I keep several new sets in the tank bag and around the house and would like to invest on a seat of the custom ones for when I ride.

Last edited:
Back