Shoes/boots: a tip...

i can only wear tennis shoes cause my feet are so big and i will take the risk of it so if there is any problem with people sayin that i am a squid for tennis shoes i guess they will end up with some up there rear end
SQUID!!!!
smile.gif

Seriously, good boots can make a huge difference in a crash.

Frequently feet and legs are under the 550LBS of bike as it goes down and slides along the belt sander. Proper riding boots can mean the difference between walking away and hell possibly loosing a foot. (Extreme) But ask an EMT buddy if you have one, they have prolly seen it.

Remember you dress for the crash not the ride. I know it's an old tired cliche' but it's the fuggin truth.

A lot of folks here beeyotch about gear but it's no where near as bad here as a lot of other boards. Simply put, if I see some guy show up for a spirited ride in the country wearing a t-shirt, shorts and sneakers? They aren't riding with us... It's not a "I'm cool you're NOT" thing. It's that most of your experianced riders have been there when someone with no gear turns themselves into a Sausage Creature. FUG THAT!

As a Minimum EVERY RIDE! ALL THE TIME...
smile.gif
Helmet, Leather, Gloves, Jeans, and over the ankle footwear. ALL THE TIME!!!

Barring that, at least a Helmet, Jeans, Gloves, and Boots/decent shoes.

Lots of people under estimate the importance of their hands, and when you crash they frequently hit the ground first. If you cannot afford or don't like the look of riding gloves, Deer Skin Work gloves still provide a measure of safety.

Feet are fragile too, and when damaged can sometimes be impossible to heal... or you end up limping the rest of your life.

Don't be stubborn, don't dig your heals in on this. Listen to what folks have to say regarding safety, comfort and gear and then at least try it. It's a lot more comfortable and will make you mush better rider. Both Performing and looking...

Trust Me.

Do this, Take a belt sander, with some 50 or 80 grit paper. Fire it up, now make a fist and jam your fist into the belt sander for a full second (one one thousand). Do this once, then go rub some dirt on it. You'll probably see what I mean and why so monay folks are so serious about WEAR YOUR GEAR.

smile.gif

well with your mil boot drag the toe enough and sparks flie down the road never done it just heard but be careful cause the longer they are dwn the hotter the steel gets
Oh and DO NOT RIDE WITH YOUR TOES DANGLING... The balls of your feet should be on the pegs.

Dangling feet looks silly, and yeah you can end up draggin toes in corners which is stupid.

well with your mil boot drag the toe enough and sparks flie down the road    never done it just heard  but be careful cause the longer they are dwn the hotter the steel gets
Oh and DO NOT RIDE WITH YOUR TOES DANGLING...  The balls of your feet should be on the pegs.  

Dangling feet looks silly, and yeah you can end up draggin toes in corners which is stupid.
I didn't know that. I have been riding with the middle of my feet on the pegs... I'll try it your way now.

i can only  wear  tennis shoes cause my feet are so big and i will take the risk of it  so  if there is any problem with people sayin  that i am a squid for tennis shoes i guess they will end up with some up there rear end
What size do you wear? Ill see if I can get you something better the tennis shoes.

I wear flip flops... the kind you get at the $1 store. This way when one blows off at 120 it's not that costly to replace.
BigGeorge <span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>cracks</span> <span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>me</span> <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>up!</span>

i found on a hot day i`m cooler wearing icon boots over vented tennis shoes. the icons block the heat more.
if you want to keep cool when you ride and be a bit safer try the joe rocket phoenix gear. the pants are a mesh slip on. wore mine today with shorts under. loved it. like wearing shorts with safety:cool:

But, really, I wanted to make it known to new riders of the busa that it will burn your ankle off and bbq it if it's not covered up in some way.... and I learned that from experience... my ankle is like a piece of Popeye's fried chicken!!!
Not to change the subject, but is it going to take you until you wreck to realize you need gear? I don't always wear my gear either, but if I am going out by myself (without the wife), I will wear it. Just wondering how you can expect people to listen to your advice, when you don't listen to ours? Anyways, it was good advice for somebody that is looking into buying a Busa. Keep it coming.

No need to skimp on boots.. I picked these up at Newenough.com for $110 on closeout last year. Look around & you can find good riding boots for a good price!
biggrin.gif

GAERNE_SHOCKWAVE_6584__Medium_.jpg

i can only  wear  tennis shoes cause my feet are so big and i will take the risk of it  so  if there is any problem with people sayin  that i am a squid for tennis shoes i guess they will end up with some up there rear end
SQUID!!!!
smile.gif

Frequently feet and legs are under the 550LBS of bike as it goes down and slides along the belt sander.  Proper riding boots can mean the difference between walking away and hell possibly loosing a foot. (Extreme) But ask an EMT buddy if you have one, they have prolly seen it.

Remember you dress for the crash not the ride.  I know it's an old tired cliche' but it's the fuggin truth.

A lot of folks here beeyotch about gear but it's no where near as bad here as a lot of other boards.  Simply put, if I see some guy show up for a spirited ride in the country wearing a t-shirt, shorts and sneakers?  They aren't riding with us...  It's not a "I'm cool you're NOT" thing.  It's that most of your experianced riders have been there when someone with no gear turns themselves into a Sausage Creature.  FUG THAT!

As a Minimum EVERY RIDE!  ALL THE TIME...  
smile.gif
   Helmet, Leather, Gloves, Jeans, and over the ankle footwear.  ALL THE TIME!!!

Lots of people under estimate the importance of their hands, and when you crash they frequently hit the ground first.  If you cannot afford or don't like the look of riding gloves, Deer Skin Work gloves still provide a measure of safety.  

Feet are fragile too, and when damaged can sometimes be impossible to heal... or you end up limping the rest of your life.

Don't be stubborn, don't dig your heals in on this.  Listen to what folks have to say regarding safety, comfort and gear and then at least try it.  It's a lot more comfortable and will make you mush better rider.  Both Performing and looking...  

Trust Me.    

Do this, Take a belt sander, with some 50 or 80 grit paper.  Fire it up, now make a fist and jam your fist into the belt sander for a full second (one one thousand).  Do this once, then go rub some dirt on it.  You'll probably see what I mean and why so monay folks are so serious about WEAR YOUR GEAR.
+1

smile.gif

SQUID!!!!
smile.gif

Frequently feet and legs are under the 550LBS of bike as it goes down and slides along the belt sander.  Proper riding boots can mean the difference between walking away and hell possibly loosing a foot. (Extreme) But ask an EMT buddy if you have one, they have prolly seen it.

Remember you dress for the crash not the ride.  I know it's an old tired cliche' but it's the fuggin truth.

A lot of folks here beeyotch about gear but it's no where near as bad here as a lot of other boards.  Simply put, if I see some guy show up for a spirited ride in the country wearing a t-shirt, shorts and sneakers?  They aren't riding with us...  It's not a "I'm cool you're NOT" thing.  It's that most of your experianced riders have been there when someone with no gear turns themselves into a Sausage Creature.  FUG THAT!

As a Minimum EVERY RIDE!  ALL THE TIME...  
smile.gif
   Helmet, Leather, Gloves, Jeans, and over the ankle footwear.  ALL THE TIME!!!

Lots of people under estimate the importance of their hands, and when you crash they frequently hit the ground first.  If you cannot afford or don't like the look of riding gloves, Deer Skin Work gloves still provide a measure of safety.  

Don't be stubborn, don't dig your heals in on this.  Listen to what folks have to say regarding safety, comfort and gear and then at least try it.  It's a lot more comfortable and will make you mush better rider.  Both Performing and looking...  

Trust Me.    

Do this, Take a belt sander, with some 50 or 80 grit paper.  Fire it up, now make a fist and jam your fist into the belt sander for a full second (one one thousand).  Do this once, then go rub some dirt on it.  You'll probably see what I mean and why so monay folks are so serious about WEAR YOUR GEAR.
+1

When I dropped my GPz900r in England years ago due to hitting gravel on a country lane corner at about 40mph, my foot got trapped under the bike. I was wearing a good pair of motorcycle boots with steel toecaps as well as leathers, gloves, helmet. The road surface wore a hole the size of a dime in the toecap (wish I still had that boot, I'd post up a pic.)

No damage to my foot, the safety equipment worked. I was able to walk away from that accident with minor bruises.

So today, I still wear full gear all the time.

Please consider the pain, suffering and inconvenience of accidents, especially if they affect your ability to work for a living or leave you with a sizeable medical bill.

Don't just invest in your bike, think about investing in your own safety too. I'm seeing far too many blinged-out bikes with organ-donor squids on them nowadays.

smile.gif

But, really, I wanted to make it known to new riders of the busa that it will burn your ankle off and bbq it if it's not covered up in some way.... and I learned that from experience... my ankle is like a piece of Popeye's fried chicken!!!
Not to change the subject, but is it going to take you until you wreck to realize you need gear?  I don't always wear my gear either, but if I am going out by myself (without the wife), I will wear it.  Just wondering how you can expect people to listen to your advice, when you don't listen to ours?  Anyways, it was good advice for somebody that is looking into buying a Busa.  Keep it coming.
I listen to everyone's advice. I just don't follow every bit of it. But I've said many times that I agree on the need for gear... I just don't wear it.

Back