Leather or Textile? Suit or Jacket/Pant?

Winter wear on street ... AlpineStars Leather jacket AlpineStars leather pants AlpineStars Winter Riding Gloves Shoei Helmet Shoes vary
Summer Wear on street... AlpineStars Mesh Jacket Jeans ( Really need to get mesh pants) Thin leather gloves HJC or Arai Helmet Shoes vary
Track Wear ... Same as winter wear but add Gaerne Boots
NewEnough.com has everything listed available. That's not where I got it but I have seen it all there.
gear up and enjoy
smile.gif

I were leathers no matter what, bay area temp averages in the summer swing from 90 to 100 plus and I still wear my leathers. Under the leathers for the summer they make a 2 piece suit that lifts the leathers of your skin so that you can get a good flow of air around them in the winter I wear a thermal that keeps moisture of your skin. I have a Tek 1 piece for the track and First Gear 2 piece zipper attached Black suit for everyday. The first gear is going on 14 years old and I've been down twice with this suit and it's still here. The reason that I'm telling you this is that so far out of all the suits I've had First gear really gives you your monies worth. This suit cost 500 plus and came with a ten year warr on workmanship. Hope this helps you with your choice

I'm a fan of textile for its versatility, relying on highly rated armor in the right places as the most important factor in a crash. My favorite brand is Fieldsheer, which gives you Aerostich quality and protection at a Joe Rocket price.
smile.gif

Hi Guys,

I'm a long-time reader on the board and I've been out of motorcycling for about 30 years so I've been soaking up info in preparation for a new bike in the spring. I haven't decided what to get yet, but there seems to be a lot of knowledge here that I can tap into.

So what's the story on Vanson leathers? I don't hear a lot about them here although there was one post above that mentioned them. Is it just a price issue that keeps them from being more popular or is it a quality issue?

My perception has been that they are high quality from the items I've seen and touched in bike shops but I have no experience with them at all on bikes.

Hi Guys,

I'm a long-time reader on the board and I've been out of motorcycling for about 30 years so I've been soaking up info in preparation for a new bike in the spring.  I haven't decided what to get yet, but there seems to be a lot of knowledge here that I can tap into.

So what's the story on Vanson leathers?  I don't hear a lot about them here although there was one post above that mentioned them.  Is it just a price issue that keeps them from being more popular or is it a quality issue?

My perception has been that they are high quality from the items I've seen and touched in bike shops but I have no experience with them at all on bikes.
Well, simply put? Dainese, Vanson and SPIDI are all top of the line leathers. That's why their price range is also quite high.

I'd like to get my hands on the Dainese stuff, but damn if the price isn't high. Same thing with Vanson and SPIDI.

Good leathers....good stuff. I'd put my faith in them, though...without a doubt.

oh yeah...and it's more a price issue. Those things can cost damn near the same as a new aftermarket exhaust up to a set of aftermarket wheels.

Yeah, they're pricy.

Current riding gear

-Leather Alpinestars Spinner jacket - Jacket fit like a glove when I got it, but stretched a little

-Leather Alpinestars Twin pants- No pucks, but have CE protection, considering having some Pucks put on the pants -Great fit/ Very Heavy Duty

-Leather Alpinestars SP-1 glove (CF Reinforced) -Pain to break in, but love em now

-Shoei X-11 helmet- Top Notch, fits my head better than Arai, but both top of the line models are Great

-Sidi Vertigo boots - Best equipment purchase Ive ever made! I wouldnt ride without them

I have a pretty good relationship with my local Leather worker / repair man, and he is not impressed with Vanson for the money. Yah they make a good product, but their gear is very heavy due to the thickness of the leather they use. Some people think the Heavier the leather the better, but this is not always true....Ever consider Kangaroo...lighter & stronger than leather. Dainese, Alpinestars, Joe Rocket all make some great Gear.

Fieldshear is good for the price, but I rather be hot in leather than ride in Non-Leather gear. Also, good leather gear lasts a long time and can survive multiple incidents....Ever see the Ballistic gear after a small incident?....I wouldnt wear it, but just my $.02 - Good Luck

I look at it this way
wink.gif
, a crash is a crash whether or not it's on the street or track ! Therefore Leather always for me  
cool.gif

P.S. I've crashed on the track, NO FUN
tounge.gif

Back