Florida Bikers - Lose your bike

it's crazy to me how so many people can concentrate on motrocyclist. The military is going the same route. We get 6 DUI's in 3 months and a new rule for motorcycles comes out. Go figure.

(Charlesbusa @ Sep. 26 2007,00:00)
(bitabur @ Sep. 25 2007,20:28) WHY is it legal to confiscate a bike whose rider is accused of being reckless or going 30+ over the limit, but not a car?  There are fast cars out there too, and they have a lot more capability to dammage people + property when doing something reckless.
Because the percentage of bikes running from cops compared to cars running from cops at over 150mph is HUGE!!!

This is what we get for running....
that doesn't matter what percentage does what...that's like saying a guy who commits murder with a handgun should get more punishment than someone who commits murder with a rifle because a handgun is used more....the person is still dead.

This is BS discrimination...a person can be drunk out of there mind and get DUI and but if I'm on a back road and crack 85 mph I lose my license for 10 years

WTF

discrenination

this is getting out of control, we need to unite ALL bike riders...

(kennym4 @ Sep. 26 2007,03:41) I would never run from a cop, BUT..if I know I'm losing my bike...I'm the Ginger Bread Man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me, too. I've never run - but if I'm losing my bike anyway then why not?

My wife and I were thinking in the future to relocate to Florida. After reading this, I think it just changed my mind. I don't see anything positive to come out of this bill at all. All I see is people running from the police and probably some people getting killed running from the police. I am just plain disturbed about how these states are getting profitable on the backs of working people. So it appears that I will not live in Virgina and now possibly Florida as well. It is BS>>>>>
brave.gif

(mvanlone @ Sep. 26 2007,12:48) My wife and I were thinking in the future to relocate to Florida. After reading this, I think it just changed my mind. I don't see anything positive to come out of this bill at all. All I see is people running from the police and probably some people getting killed running from the police. I am just plain disturbed about how these states are getting profitable on the backs of working people. So it appears that I will not live in Virgina and now possibly Florida as well. It is BS>>>>>
brave.gif
laugh.gif
And I'm moving from VA to Fla! SWEET!!! I move from one BS law state to another!
super.gif

half time on I-4 if your not 30 over you get run-over.

Where they get you is in the on/off ramps around here. 70 mph highway to 35 mph off ramp, If you don't slow down prior to the off ramp your speeding. Got the ticket to prove it (in a car).

Sounds like time for another change in latitude.

What happens if the cop pulls you over and says "I got you for doing 86 in a 55, and you KNOW you weren't doing it? Too bad. All the cop has to do is write that ticket out and you can be charged under the new staute as he sees fit. Forget trying to dsiprove the speed as being correct, its already too late to save your bike. The cop don't care if you go to court and prove your speed, he just got your bike stolen from you legally.

(TallTom @ Sep. 26 2007,12:28) What happens if the cop pulls you over and says "I got you for doing 86 in a 55, and you KNOW you weren't doing it?  Too bad.  All the cop has to do is write that ticket out and you can be charged under the new staute as he sees fit.  Forget trying to dsiprove the speed as being correct, its already too late to save your bike.  The cop don't care if you go to court and prove your speed, he just got your bike stolen from you legally.
+1

While in my experience 90% of cops are good guys, the others are easily capable of doing this - especially to a sportbiker.

Looks like I'll be going somewhere else for Bikeweek next year.

Let's see if it passes first. Florida residents should write their legal representatives at the least, and personally my free time would be spent organizing protests for this.

After that... I'm running like a mofo, and I never run.

I can't tell if this post is about laws enacted because of "reckless driving" or some are upset because of more laws as a means to make them behave regardless of the State, not saying anyone here is reckless or speeds? Officers discretion?, who's going to make the judgment call? - your riding buddy
AAAssjani.gif

I'll admit that I'm no saint and my actions while riding could be dangerous, still-it doesn't give me or you the right to include innocent others without consequents. Isn't that what this subjects about,being dangerous in public without penalty?

I'll tell you how bad it allready is in fl ... I got a reckess ticket for doing a little burn out in a friggen empty parking lot !!!And here is the bad part > the cop didn't even see it , he just heard me do it !!! It was a ticketed for ( Racing on the highway) but my lawyer got it dropped to a reckless charge.....In the end i lost my DL for 6 months , 976.00 dollars in fines, 350 in lawyers fees .. And that my friends was with a spotless Driving record of 32 years !!!!! You can be drunk and ride a HD and they will not pull you over But ride a sport bike and you are dead meat around here.....
rant.gif

No wonder I haven't been to Florida since December of 1975.

I saw the Everglades, Dry Tortugas, Disney, and St Augustine.

Couldn't imagine what would ever me down there again.

Speeding is a victimless crime anyway...so you do 85 in a 55...who cares, who did you hurt, the earth does not stop.

On my way to work now I see cops all over, many have pulled over people just trying to get work...stick the radar gun up your arse and go patrol where I live and protect my house and business...not harass me going to work...
rant.gif

Patrol the neighborhoods...not the highways.

Go get a real job (Florida Highway Patrol is about as valuable as **** on a bull).

Protect and serve...ya, whatever
guns.gif

Well I went to Vermont once, for a wedding. It was a balmy 10 degrees in March. All the lakes were still frozen solid with a couple of feet of snow on them.
crazy.gif

What amazes me is the stupidity and absence of common sense on the part of the government!

Remember those simple quizes they give you in 1st grade of school...

Mary is taller than Susan, and Susan is taller than Kate. Is Mary taller or shorter than Kate?

Now, here is the real quiz for the stupid government...

Speed limit for cars is 55mph on the highway. An average motorcycle accelerates twice as quick as a car, an average motorcycle stops twice as quick as a car, an average motorcycle can swerve twice as quick as a car, and finally an everage motorcycle would cause at least twice as little damage as a car in case of a collision. Now, you stupid government, can you figure out those questions: What should be the speed limit for motorcycles? And which vehicle should be punished more for speeding - a car or a motorcycle.

Actually, I am looking forward for the passing of this bill, and here is why. Running will happen on the scale never seen before. Chases, dead riders, dead officers - all of that will cause them to rethink and abandon the stupid bill, and other states would know better than to pass a stupid bill like that.

IG. I agree with you 100% speed should be based on the weight of the vehicle. Look at some speed limits on some roads for commercial trucks that are heavy they have slower speed limits, as far as a recreational vehicle, anything being steet legal especially a bike should not be in that catagory when the gas prices are as high as they are now. More and more people turned to a motorcycle as a primary vehicle (weather permitting), besides the motorcycle has been around just as long as the car. What do you think they would say if every bike owner rode their Bikes to work and told the Government that every day I ride my recreational bike to work I would'nt pay taxes for that day! They would be losing alot of money and might think twice..

(kaosccw @ Sep. 26 2007,12:24) I don't currently run, but after 10/1/2008, it will depend on my speed at the time.
+1 on that! and New York this state can/will and has charged a rider with manslaughter for a LEO getting killed using crapy tires! Crashed Chasing a Busa @150 MPH. 15 yrs in Stark.
SHOCKED.gif

Back