New bill passes senate-Florida

valkyriemc

Donating Member
Registered
House 0137: Relating to Operating a Motor Vehicle [EPCC]  
H137     GENERAL BILL/CS/1ST ENG by Economic Expansion & Infrastructure Council;  Lopez-Cantera  (Compare CS/CS/CS/S 0802, CS/CS/CS/1ST ENG/S 1992)  Operating a Motor Vehicle [EPCC]; Creates additional offenses regarding  motor vehicle operation; requires operator of motorcycle or moped to  maintain both wheels on ground at all times; requires that license tag  of motorcycle or moped be affixed horizontally; provides additional  penalties for certain offenses; provides for specified fine & revocation  of person's privilege to operate motor vehicle.  EFFECTIVE DATE:  10/01/2008.  CS passed; YEAS  38  NAYS  1  04/29/08 HOUSE  Ordered enrolled

guns.gif
guns.gif
Damn law makers

guns.gif

Looks like all the squidly behavior in the wrong places, at the wrong time, is starting to affect all the florida riders fun
sad.gif
Gotta love lack of self control and poor judgement
thumb_down.gif
thumb_down.gif
thumb_down.gif

thumb_down.gif

thumb_down.gif

Damn! More motorcycles stolen in Florida than any other state in the country and you'd think the bastids would be more concerned with the infestation of thieves than pissing with the motorcycles to collect more taxes?

interesting stat I read a couple years ago

States with helmet laws have had motorcycle theft cut in half.
I guess its too much trouble for a thief to buy a helmet.

Found this on the FJR forum, more on Florida law

HB137/SB802 "“ has been amended to apply to all motor vehicles, the vehicle can not be seized until the third offense, the speed must be in excess of 50 miles over the posted limit, the fines escalate based on the number of offense committed, there is still a reference in the legislation however about keeping both wheels on the ground at all times for motorcycles. We have had no luck at all in getting the last bit removed from the legislation as there was a video shown from the Miami area showing multiple bikes blasting through traffic on the rear wheel. To further compound our difficulties a fellow died on Saturday up there while on the rear wheel when he hit a left turning auto (seems the headlight was pointing straight up so the auto driver never saw the oncoming bike).

SB1992 (Highway Safety Transportation Bill) "“ we were able to get an amendment attached to this bill which will provide stiffer penalties for anyone who kills or seriously injuries a motorcyclist, 30 days of jail minimum for serious bodily injury and 90 days minimum for a death. This is only an amendment to the bill and it can still be struck from the bill during any of the three mandatory readings of the bill. Each reading however requires a higher percentage of the legislature to strike an amendment from a bill. Please contact your state Senator and ask for their support of the stiffer penalties amendments to SB1992.

At the federal level the HIPAA Technical Correction Act is still short enough legislators to guarantee it will pass. For those of you unaware the HIPAA act that was passed some years ago primarily dealt with medical privacy, however it contained an amendment that allows employers to legally deny medical coverage through your existing employer paid health insurance for certain activities that are other wise perfectly legal. This affects motorcyclists as several large employers and 2 unions in the Northeast have denied medical benefits to people injured while operating their street legal motorcycles with a valid motorcycle operator's license at the time of the incident. Again please contact your U.S. Representative and ask for their support in correcting this issue.

I have dealt with a few wheelie doers over the years, they were not in heavy traffic and stand up or for a extended distance. Gave them a talkin to and sent them down the road with a warning that the next trooper may sign them up with reckless driving. They were grateful and i hoped it was enough to get the point across. Reckless driving on a driving record in many states will never go away. The punishment should fit the crime in my book.
Sadly the squids are ruining it for many, lifting the front tire off the ground should not be the only factor in determining reckless driving. Just my opinion.

Time & place for everything... Too bad some riders don't understand that yet.. Hence we get new laws such as this one....

i still think alot of people will be more likely to try and run with stiffer penalties like this.
guns.gif

Flori-duh can now change it's states moto to "The running state!" Isn't that impressive. They are the first state to willingly pass a law that will put more people at risk that before, and they're proud of it.

People that don't have self-respect don't respect the rights of others.
guns.gif

THat sux...not saying Im a crazy rider but I like to hit the throttle a little. Im originally from FLorida and will be moving back there in Sept. I'm currently in South Dakota where damn near everyone in the state has a bike. I guess after Sturgis '08, no more fun when I get to FLorida. I guess back to driving the Mustang Cobra I go lol.

Have to love our beautiful sunshine state, where you are guilty untill proven innocent

firedevil.gif
firedevil.gif
firedevil.gif
firedevil.gif
firedevil.gif
firedevil.gif
firedevil.gif
firedevil.gif
firedevil.gif
firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif