New Florida Motorcycle laws-Effective 01 Oct, 2008

I am a motor cop here in Florida and I also ride a Busa. I think these new laws were ment for the guys that ride the 100mph wheel stand and have no respect for the other drivers on the roadway. I think these new Laws are too extreme, just another case where the good suffer for the bad.

What is considered a Improperly displayed tag??

here are a few for LA.: not illuminated, must be fastened securely, and must be legible from 50ft. from rear. The last one covers a lot. If the plate is dirty or has a trim ring around it that blocks anypart of the plate.

I am a motor cop here in Florida and I also ride a Busa. I think these new laws were ment for the guys that ride the 100mph wheel stand and have no respect for the other drivers on the roadway. I think these new Laws are too extreme, just another case where the good suffer for the bad.

Thanks for your input. You are correct. We as responsible riders get to carry the baggage with the idiots flying around on 1 wheel and scaring motorists.

We need to look at the big picture here these type of laws could be passed anywhere in any state. If we dont police ourselves the governemnt will do it for us. If motorcyclists dont take it upon themselves to knck off the loud pipes stunting on the street and other anti social behavior we are going to be in some big Excrement. I really dont want to have to hang up the helmet yet but if we end up with laws like this in Calif. whats the point of owning a sportbike? I'll give up riding before ill ride a fricking moped around.

Well ..........

Looks like i wont be doing daytona this year
why ?

Because i refuse to move my tag.

YOU FLORIDIANS NEED TO SPEAK UP
AND GET THAT **** CHANGED.

I believe that if your tag is legal in your home state(on your drivers license) you should be fine. People commute through other states wheel traveling where there is different laws and have no issues.

Window tint is/was illegal in NYC for front windows,but in my camaro(red) I had no issues with the local LE and had a FL tag.

I'd bring the statue and it's description with you to show as reference to your home state tag law(s) to be on the safe side.

Now the other two laws that came into effect your on your own discretion :whistle: However the laws really hasn't changed,just the fines.

HAVE FUN AND ENJOY! JUST BE SAFE!

Anyone dumb enough to run from the cops after they have already knowingly broken the law deserves whatever happens to them. You accepted risk and the consequences of your actions when you broke the law in the first place. F*&^'em, I have no sympathy for douchebag riders.

you sir a douchbag your gonna tell me you accidentally clutch it up or the front wheel comes off the ground for just a second thats worth a $1000 dollar fine! what if an animal comes out in front of you and your a newb rider and you grab to much front cause you still havent learned how to use the back properly thats also worth it cause sometimes you could be the most upstanding citizen and you have a few visable tatoo's and then all of a sudden your dirt to that cop i see this being very abusable to leo's

Guys, the tag law is for FLORIDA tags only..... If it's legal in your state then you are fine. If your out of state and get pulled it's not going to be because your plate is illegal here(unless it's expired). Most of the cops are pretty cool, especially if they ride.. You act like a ****, you'll get treated like one.Most, if they give you a ticket, they will give you a break..

you sir a douchbag your gonna tell me you accidentally clutch it up or the front wheel comes off the ground for just a second thats worth a $1000 dollar fine! No, I'm gonna tell you that even if it was an accident and a cop attempts to pull you over and you run, then you deserve whatever happens to you. what if an animal comes out in front of you and your a newb rider and you grab to much front cause you still havent learned how to use the back properly thats also worth it cause sometimes you could be the most upstanding citizen and you have a few visable tatoo's and then all of a sudden your dirt to that cop i see this being very abusable to leo's

Maturity isn't your thing I guess... Read my post again! My post addressed idiots that will run after getting caught doing a wheelie or 50+ rather than face the "EARNED" consequences of their actions. I never mentioned a word about $$$$ for those actions.

You're gonna tell me that when the front wheel comes off the ground it was cause you "accidentally" clutched it up?!?!? Please... thats a pretty lame excuse. "Sorry officer, I am new to riding and I accidentally clutched up a wheelie, I had know idea what I was doing and apparently I have no control". Anyone that rides should be at a minimum proficient with clutch control, throttle control, and braking...

Maturity isn't your thing I guess... Read my post again! My post addressed idiots that will run after getting caught doing a wheelie or 50+ rather than face the "EARNED" consequences of their actions. I never mentioned a word about $$$$ for those actions.

You're gonna tell me that when the front wheel comes off the ground it was cause you "accidentally" clutched it up?!?!? Please... thats a pretty lame excuse. "Sorry officer, I am new to riding and I accidentally clutched up a wheelie, I had know idea what I was doing and apparently I have no control". Anyone that rides should be at a minimum proficient with clutch control, throttle control, and braking...

yeah but how does a new rider get expirence you mean to tell me when you first started learning to ride a bike you never let the clutch off too quickly gased it up too quickly no one is a perfect rider from the begining yeah if it happened now i either did it on purpose or the the clutch slipped out of my fingers

Guys, the tag law is for FLORIDA tags only..... If it's legal in your state then you are fine. If your out of state and get pulled it's not going to be because your plate is illegal here(unless it's expired). Most of the cops are pretty cool, especially if they ride.. You act like a ****, you'll get treated like one.Most, if they give you a ticket, they will give you a break..

can someone verify this? i have a swingarm mounted tag and would like to know if i need to take it off when i go to pcb

yeah but how does a new rider get expirence you mean to tell me when you first started learning to ride a bike you never let the clutch off too quickly gased it up too quickly no one is a perfect rider from the begining yeah if it happened now i either did it on purpose or the the clutch slipped out of my fingers

If you don't have good clutch/throttle control by the time you start riding on the street then you need to reevaluate your decision to ride on the street... You can become proficient with clutch/throttle control within a few hours of practice, lack of experience is honestly no excuse for wheelies and such.

If you don't have good clutch/throttle control by the time you start riding on the street then you need to reevaluate your decision to ride on the street... You can become proficient with clutch/throttle control within a few hours of practice, lack of experience is honestly no excuse for wheelies and such.

ok i give up you frustrate me :banghead:

I think FL rolled back the law on the tag mounting...

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

The 2009 Florida Statutes

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL View Entire Chapter

316.2085 Riding on motorcycles or mopeds.--

(1) A person operating a motorcycle or moped shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto, and such operator shall not carry any other person, nor shall any other person ride on a motorcycle or moped, unless such motorcycle or moped is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride upon the permanent and regular seat if designed for two persons or upon another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle or moped at the rear or side of the operator.

(2) A person shall ride upon a motorcycle or moped only while sitting astride the seat, with both wheels on the ground at all times, facing forward, and with one leg on each side of the motorcycle or moped. However, it is not a violation of this subsection if the wheels of a motorcycle or moped lose contact with the ground briefly due to the condition of the road surface or other circumstances beyond the control of the operator.

(3) The license tag of a motorcycle or moped must be permanently affixed to the vehicle and may not be adjusted or capable of being flipped up. No device for or method of concealing or obscuring the legibility of the license tag of a motorcycle shall be installed or used.
(4) No person shall operate a motorcycle or moped while carrying any package, bundle, or other article which prevents the person from keeping both hands on the handlebars.

(5) No operator shall carry any person, nor shall any person ride, in a position that will interfere with the operation or control of the motorcycle or moped or the view of the operator.

(6) A person under 16 years of age may not:

(a) Operate a motorcycle that has a motor with more than 150 cubic centimeters displacement.

(b) Rent a motorcycle or a moped.

(7) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.

History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 1, ch. 76-31; s. 9, ch. 87-161; s. 320, ch. 95-148; s. 7, ch. 96-414; s. 164, ch. 99-248; s. 2, ch. 2008-117; s. 4, ch. 2009-183.

Note.--Former s. 316.108.

Damn those motorcycle riders. They always scare me when I look up from my CELL PHONE and there on my hood or in my windshield, I even ran a few over when I didn't see the red light at the intersection. They always think they own the whole lane! Honking at me and giving me the finger when they are in my way. They are so hard to see when I'm dialing or texting on the phone. I don't feel safe driving down the road trying to get a good read in before I get where I'm going, without some darn motorcyclist scaring the beejesus out of me. I can't take it!! Everyone should drive cars or trucks

Back