New Florida Motorcycle laws-Effective 01 Oct, 2008

316.1926 Additional offenses.--

(1) A person who violates the provisions of s. 316.2085(2) or (3) shall be cited for a moving violation, punishable as provided in chapter 318.

(2) A person who exceeds the speed limit in excess of 50 miles per hour or more in violation of s. 316.183(2), s. 316.187, or s. 316.189 shall be cited for a moving violation, punishable as provided in chapter 318.

it doesn't say any where it just applies to motorcycles.

Yes but don't see where penalties only apply to bikes, way I understand it this penalty is for all speeding over 50 mph over the limit.??? Don't be mad at me I am no lawyer :laugh:

316.1926 Additional offenses.--

(1) A person who violates the provisions of s. 316.2085(2) or (3) shall be cited for a moving violation, punishable as provided in chapter 318.

(2) A person who exceeds the speed limit in excess of 50 miles per hour or more in violation of s. 316.183(2), s. 316.187, or s. 316.189 shall be cited for a moving violation, punishable as provided in chapter 318.

On your quote about not wanting us down to Florida.....guess what....I hate Florida, always did, always will. I don't want you to come up here either!!!!! Just because your ruined your playground....we don't want you to ruin ours. As more people will go to Indianapolis, Indiana for bike week rather than to Myrtle Beach, SC or Daytona, FL will be best. Your State is full of all the old people that can't drive from all the other states. In the fall and early spring here our roads are clear of these elderly people who can't see or drive.....guess where they are????? Your backyard. Be careful brother!!!!!!! I can see my aunt marge and uncle homer making plans to buy a house down there on the next street over from you. Neither one can drive or see. Watch out!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ok wag , apparently you dont live in florida. Lets be fair about this. If speeding over
50mph is worth 1 grand on a bike shouldn't it be the same cost for someone in a car?
I sure as hell think it should. Why should a motorcyclist be treated differently then a car
for a speeding infraction?

look at the difference in the fine schedules....

For moving violations involving unlawful speed, the Florida speeding ticket fines are as follows:

For speed exceeding the limit by:
Fine:
1-5 m.p.h. Warning
6-9 m.p.h. $ 25
10-14 m.p.h. $100
15-19 m.p.h. $125
20-29 m.p.h. $150
30 m.p.h. and above $250

Court costs imposed under this subsection may not exceed $30.

source of information...Florida Speeding Ticket

Thats 4 times the difference. No stipulation for repeat offenders unless you dont pay the fines.

That is where I find the issue with this law. 50 over is 50 over , wether it's a car or a bike, the fines
should be equal.

So my questions to you wag are why should there be a double standard for the same infraction?
Why should it cost 4 times more for a vehicle weighing 1/4 or less then the weight of a car?
How much more damage can be caused by a midsized or full sized suv going the same speed?

I am quite sure that if a lincoln navigator were to plow into a line of parked bikes at 50
it would cause more damage then a motorcycle hitting the same.

By this standard the law may be a little lopsided.

A little fyi here speed adict. Insurance is not mandatory on a motorcycle in florida.
Nor are helmets. There are rules for this though. If you want to ride without a lid,
you are required to have insurance. If your passanger rides without a lid you have
to have that clause added to the policy as well. If you do not carry insurance,
(stupid idea in my opinion) you must wear a helmet. IT was part of the
"let those who ride decide" campaign several years ago when the lifted the helmet law.

For leo it is a judgement call. Then again IF you don't give them reason to notice you, there
should be no problem with them. If you live in fl get your stuff right and do what is needed.
I still have to fix the tag thing on my bike, it's not illuminated yet. And I have no problem with
that.

It is required for cars. Only its not a moving violation, it's an equipment violation with
no point assessment.
Herein lies my problem with this new law.

your next jeffrow..The part about the helmet was already covered above.

Here Eye protection is required at all times while operating a motorcycle.
Qualifying eye protection is described as, any perscription eyewear, dot motorcycle shield,
or eyewear specifically designed for motorcycle riding. A windscreen or windjam of a motorcycle
is not eye protection.

I wear perscription glasses at all times. Last week I got pulled over because the officer
couldn't tell i had any on. I was royally ticked when i got pulled over. I wasnt speeding, or driving
unsafe in any way. When he told me that he didnt notice my glasses i was quite happy. He told me to
have a nice day and I rode on. This was maybe the second time I was pulled over and not issued a
ticked for some lame bs. ( and that includes driving a cage as well).

I do not forsee all of these laws lasting very long. Most have merit in theory only. Some are totally insane
and discriminatory toward cyclists. For those of you who live here in fl you have probably seen the bikes
doing wheelies while traveling the interstates. Stupid idea, these idiots deserve the fines. This law I support.

Do not get me wrong , I love watching the stunt guys. Just not going up the middle of I-4 at 80mph in moderate traffic.
That is the wrong place and time. Find a place, get an approval from the land owner, hold them not liable.
Guys I know have even draw up a schedule and times and had them approved with small airports and malls to do stunting.
Thye small airport even charges a small admission. Enjoy yourselves , do your stunts. Just do them in a safe place.

And for all of you that dont want to come to florida because of some laws you dont like. fine. Stay the ef out of here.
It leaves me more room to ride without some out of state idiot on a bike acting the fool. We dont want you here anyway.
Which means you may never learn the feeling of taking a leisurly ride in a weekend morning without the lid. It can and is
quite enjoyable when done RESPONSIBLY!!!

Stay safe on the roads, and enjoy the ride.

I agree with much of what fishbowl had to say, but most people on this site are a little more responsible than the average sportsbike rider. You all are welcome down here as far as I am conserned :thumbsup:b Not that anyone wants to come down though.....:whistle:

Don't know anyone who would want to come here to the flat straight waste lands of FL to ride but come on over if you want. But I am definitely not missing the next Bash. So get ready cause here I come :laugh: I'll be the guy standing behind his bike blocking his perfectly positioned tag:whistle:

For those of us living in the Sunshiine State or those of you coming to visit, better bring your American Express...

ADVISORY BULLETIN
Florida Association of Court Clerks/Comptrollers

REF: HB 137 (ch. 2008-117, Laws of Florida) DATE: August 20, 2008 NO: 08-058

FILE NO. F02-008-080820-01 TELEPHONE: (850) 921-0808 CONTACT: B. Allman

Effective October 1, 2008, HB 137 revises the traffic laws to create a few more penalties. This short bill was particularly focused on unsafe motorcycle activities, but it does include a provision for excessive speed. The new law also provides penalties for the first, second, third or subsequent violations. The Distribution Chart found on the FACC website will be updated to reflect the amounts for the first and second offenses in the Traffic section. The third and subsequent offense is classified as a third degree felony with a $5,000 fine and will appear in the Criminal Traffic section of the chart.

New Violations:
316.2085(2) Motorcycle or moped, wheels losing contact with ground
This is classified as a moving violation.
First Offense: the violator must pay $1,000 plus any other costs assessed for a moving violation. Second Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $2,500, plus any other applicable costs assessed for a moving violation. The person’s driver license must be revoked for a period of one year.
Third Offense: the violator will be charged with a third degree felony, punishable as provided in ss. 775.082, 775.083, and 775.084, a mandatory fine of $5,000, and the driver license must be revoked for a period of ten years.

316.2085(3) Motorcycle or moped license tag improperly affixed
First Offense: the violator must pay $1,000 plus any other costs assessed for a moving violation. Second Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $2,500, plus any other applicable costs assessed for a moving violation. The person’s driver license must be revoked for a period of one year.
Third Offense: the violator will be charged with a third degree felony, punishable as provided in ss. 775.082, 775.083, and 775.084, a mandatory fine of $5,000, and the driver license must be revoked for a period of ten years.

316.1926 (2) A person who exceeds the speed limit in excess of 50 mph or more in violation of ss.
316.183(2) (posted speeds), 316.187(state speed zones), or 316.189 (municipal and county speeds)
First Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $1,000 plus court costs.
Second Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $2,500 plus court costs and the driver license must be revoked for a period of one year.

Florida sounds like a police state to me!
Pleased I don't stay there.
Pine

I am in total agreement with Bogus, or Biscuit, or Randy, whatever his name is this week!!! :poke:

I seem to remeber a visit by a cool NC trooper, at a previous Bash, explaining some rules for us. One topic was the fact that a vertical tag was illegal either in NC or TN, don't remember which. There was no whining or biotching, wailing, etc.....Those who were willing to risk the paper award did so or they changed their tag position.

Rules are rules, laws are laws......

As mentioned, please come on down to Florida to enjoy the excellent weather but if you are the type to attract the LEO's attention, then I suggest you stay out of Florida for your own financial protection.

AND, I doubt if fishbowl "ruined his playground", nor would he "ruin your playground". :drama:

Yes, I doubt that he ruined any playground. I just thought his comment was funny. There is no drama. I was just playing.

I seem to remeber a visit by a cool NC trooper, at a previous Bash, explaining some rules for us. One topic was the fact that a vertical tag was illegal either in NC or TN, don't remember which. There was no whining or biotching, wailing, etc.....Those who were willing to risk the paper award did so or they changed their tag position.

Rules are rules, laws are laws......

As mentioned, please come on down to Florida to enjoy the excellent weather but if you are the type to attract the LEO's attention, then I suggest you stay out of Florida for your own financial protection.

AND, I doubt if fishbowl "ruined his playground", nor would he "ruin your playground". :drama:

FOR INSTANCE REF THE TAG LAW I ASKED A DEPUTY HERE THAT I KNOW IS PRETTY COOL IF MY TAG WAS "LEGAL" HE ADVISED YEAH I SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH IT ASKED ANOTHER THAT LETS SAY IS A LITTLE "HARDER" HE ADVISED NO STARTED TELLING ME WHAT I NEEDED TO DO DID WHAT HE ADVISED THEN ASKED ANOTHER "GO BY THE BOOK" DEPUTY HE ADVISED ADDITIONAL THINGS I NEEDED TO DO ALL I CAN SAY IS RUN:banghead:

Wow, never thought any state would make popping a wheelie the same level of offense as acquiring schedule two drugs by forging a script (both Class 3 felony)

This is either govt gone berserk or a small group of bike riders really making it tough on everyone else... (maybe both?) Legal fees are going make some lawyers rich...(only thing I see happening here) and of course, lots and I mean LOTS of runners...

RIP to those that crash and burn....

or some over crowding in jails with people that should be just paying fines.

I predict a 1000% increase in high speed pursuits of motorcycles:thumbsup::thumbsup:way to go FLORIDA, riding in florida on two wheels is about as cool as a bag of ****

Last edited by a moderator:
The cops here in my town in SC look for the quota tickets. My son was stopped the other night, I had asked him to stop and pick up some milk) he goes into Abdula's, gets the milk comes out walks past the cop car, waves at the guy and leaves. He gets pulled 1/2 mile down the road. Cop says he was going to get a ticket for cutting thru the store lot to miss the red light. My son explains the situation and shows him the milk and recept. The cop let him off with a warning, warning for what?? And they wonder why they get no respect. If he was on a bike it would have been a capital offense. Oy vey..

I predict a 1000% increase in high speed pursuits of motorcycles:thumbsup::thumbsup:way to go FLORIDA, riding in florida on two wheels is about as cool as a bag of ****

Anyone dumb enough to run from the cops after they have already knowingly broken the law deserves whatever happens to them. You accepted risk and the consequences of your actions when you broke the law in the first place. F*&^'em, I have no sympathy for douchebag riders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back