Florida Bikers - Lose your bike

dinoap

Going to the Dragon without a bike is ju
Donating Member
Registered
The following is a bill currently in the Florida senate, it proposes a change to the current florida laws. Sad thing is "reckless driving" is up to the officer discretion. Pass this on to all concerned.

HB 137

A bill to be entitled
An act relating to offenses committed while operating a motorcycle; creating s. 316.1926, F.S.; providing
additional penalties for certain offenses committed by a
person operating or in actual physical control of a
motorcycle; requiring that the person be taken into
custody; providing for seizure and forfeiture of the
motorcycle; providing for revocation of the person's
privilege to operate a motorcycle; providing an effective
date.

Be It Enacted by the Legislature of the State of Florida:

Section 1. Section 316.1926, Florida Statutes, is created to read:
316.1926 Motorcycle offenses.--
(1) When a law enforcement officer charges a person with reckless driving in violation of s. 316.192 or exceeding the speed limit by 30 miles per hour or more in violation of s. 316.183(2), s. 316.187, or s. 316.189 while operating or in actual physical control of a motorcycle, the officer shall arrest the person, take him or her into custody, and seize the motorcycle, which shall be subject to forfeiture under the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act.
(2) Upon conviction, in addition to any other penalty provided by law, the court shall revoke the person's authorization and privilege to operate a motorcycle for a period of 10 years and order the person to surrender his or her driver's license.
(a) If the person holds a Class A, Class B, or Class C driver's license, the department shall issue a replacement license, valid for the remainder of the person's unexpired license period, without the endorsement to operate a motorcycle.
(b) If the person holds a Class E driver's license that is not restricted to motorcycle operation only, the department shall issue a replacement license, valid for the remainder of the person's unexpired license period, without the authorization to operate a motorcycle.
(3) Revocation of the privilege to operate a motorcycle under this section shall not prohibit or restrict the issuance or renewal of a driver's license for purposes other than the operation of a motorcycle.

Section 2. This act shall take effect October 1, 2008

OUCH!!!!!! Tell em not so hard..use a bit of that axle grease and at least take me to dinner first before you screw the hell out of me.

Thanks for the heads up!! Okay ABATE..this is why we pay our dues
rant.gif

No doubt, not one mention of cars. Sounds like a form of discremination.
guns.gif

Plus a DUI here only loses their license for a year.....morale of the story don't ride unless your drunk....ha ha.
tounge.gif

Way to go FL, must be teaming up with TN.

WHY is it legal to confiscate a bike whose rider is accused of being reckless or going 30+ over the limit, but not a car? There are fast cars out there too, and they have a lot more capability to dammage people + property when doing something reckless.

What will we do when a cop that can't tell one bike from another sees one of us after he saw a squid and grabs you for "reckless driving" when you were no where near em, you just have a "blue" or "red" bike so it must be you?

all that for 30 over thats uterly ridicules the law makers of florida can kiss my big ole bung hole
guns.gif

(bitabur @ Sep. 25 2007,23:28) WHY is it legal to confiscate a bike whose rider is accused of being reckless or going 30+ over the limit, but not a car?  There are fast cars out there too, and they have a lot more capability to dammage people + property when doing something reckless.
I was wondering this myself. Hell, my semi will do 30 over in any state, but they pnly take my bike?
wink.gif

Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act. [/Quote]
Here is the escape clause. What your seeing is the Gov collecting bigger fines and lawyers charging bigger fees.

(bitabur @ Sep. 25 2007,20:28) WHY is it legal to confiscate a bike whose rider is accused of being reckless or going 30+ over the limit, but not a car?  There are fast cars out there too, and they have a lot more capability to dammage people + property when doing something reckless.
Because the percentage of bikes running from cops compared to cars running from cops at over 150mph is HUGE!!!

This is what we get for running....

(kaosccw @ Sep. 25 2007,20:40) If this passes all it will do is promote running.
Great, the only reason its being introduced is because of all the motorcycles running...

Lets run more so they can pass even more strict and harsher laws...

I would never run from a cop, BUT..if I know I'm losing my bike...I'm the Ginger Bread Man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Florida used to look so good as a possible future home. Now, with all of the comments about the State troopers being rambo/jerks and this, Florida is off the shortlist.

This defintely discrimnates against motorcycles! And as someone that lives in Fla and watches the attitude of the cops, this will be horrible if it passes. Even if the cop is proven to be a putz in court, your bike will get siezed at the time of offense and I doubt there will be any provisions for "safekeeping" of confiscated assets while the courts rule on the cause of forfieture.

Trust me we will be giving a LOT more power to an already "cowboy" mentality.

Fla will soon remind me of Louisiana. They enacted siezure laws a few years back. And the LEOs are getting rich off of it.

I regularly see cops travelling well over the speed limit with no lights on. The laws don't apply to them.

30 over is nothing. Hell... most speed limits here in NY are 55. 85 still feels slow!

That's complete bullshit. If my state adopted this, and I knew I was going to lose my bike... I sure as hell would run.
rant.gif

Course, they just added a **** law up here that goes something like this:

If you run, and the cop gets in an accident (for driving beyond his abilities), and the cop dies you get charged with manslaughter.

(Charlesbusa @ Sep. 26 2007,03:00)
(bitabur @ Sep. 25 2007,20:28) WHY is it legal to confiscate a bike whose rider is accused of being reckless or going 30+ over the limit, but not a car?  There are fast cars out there too, and they have a lot more capability to dammage people + property when doing something reckless.
Because the percentage of bikes running from cops compared to cars running from cops at over 150mph is HUGE!!!

This is what we get for running....
Also a bike is considered a "recreational vehicle". In their eyes, its a ~want~ not a ~need~. Its no different than a ATV or a go-kart to them. That's why you can get a $30,000 car with bad credit but not a $10,000 bike.

And add one more on the running thing. This will do nothing more than get those who do to continue, and get those who don't to start.

Back