New Florida Motorcycle laws-Effective 01 Oct, 2008

rdx4me

Registered
For those of us living in the Sunshiine State or those of you coming to visit, better bring your American Express...

ADVISORY BULLETIN
Florida Association of Court Clerks/Comptrollers

REF: HB 137 (ch. 2008-117, Laws of Florida) DATE: August 20, 2008 NO: 08-058

FILE NO. F02-008-080820-01 TELEPHONE: (850) 921-0808 CONTACT: B. Allman

Effective October 1, 2008, HB 137 revises the traffic laws to create a few more penalties. This short bill was particularly focused on unsafe motorcycle activities, but it does include a provision for excessive speed. The new law also provides penalties for the first, second, third or subsequent violations. The Distribution Chart found on the FACC website will be updated to reflect the amounts for the first and second offenses in the Traffic section. The third and subsequent offense is classified as a third degree felony with a $5,000 fine and will appear in the Criminal Traffic section of the chart.

New Violations:
316.2085(2) Motorcycle or moped, wheels losing contact with ground
This is classified as a moving violation.
First Offense: the violator must pay $1,000 plus any other costs assessed for a moving violation. Second Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $2,500, plus any other applicable costs assessed for a moving violation. The person’s driver license must be revoked for a period of one year.
Third Offense: the violator will be charged with a third degree felony, punishable as provided in ss. 775.082, 775.083, and 775.084, a mandatory fine of $5,000, and the driver license must be revoked for a period of ten years.

316.2085(3) Motorcycle or moped license tag improperly affixed
First Offense: the violator must pay $1,000 plus any other costs assessed for a moving violation. Second Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $2,500, plus any other applicable costs assessed for a moving violation. The person’s driver license must be revoked for a period of one year.
Third Offense: the violator will be charged with a third degree felony, punishable as provided in ss. 775.082, 775.083, and 775.084, a mandatory fine of $5,000, and the driver license must be revoked for a period of ten years.

316.1926 (2) A person who exceeds the speed limit in excess of 50 mph or more in violation of ss.
316.183(2) (posted speeds), 316.187(state speed zones), or 316.189 (municipal and county speeds)
First Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $1,000 plus court costs.
Second Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $2,500 plus court costs and the driver license must be revoked for a period of one year.

Looks like the state has had enough of the BS street riding, the party's over, track days=cheaper :thumbsup:

Wow, never thought any state would make popping a wheelie the same level of offense as acquiring schedule two drugs by forging a script (both Class 3 felony)

This is either govt gone berserk or a small group of bike riders really making it tough on everyone else... (maybe both?) Legal fees are going make some lawyers rich...(only thing I see happening here) and of course, lots and I mean LOTS of runners...

RIP to those that crash and burn....

Wow, never thought any state would make popping a wheelie the same level of offense as acquiring schedule two drugs by forging a script (both Class 3 felony)

This is either govt gone berserk or a small group of bike riders really making it tough on everyone else... (maybe both?) Legal fees are going make some lawyers rich...(only thing I see happening here) and of course, lots and I mean LOTS of runners...

RIP to those that crash and burn....

Little bit of both..... All year riding and stunts galor.

I have no problem with the actual law, as it hopes to curb a problem.

My problem is this creates an environment where LEO's have the increased ability to generate revenue with this new law. Its our word against the particular officer in court as to his "witnessing" a front wheel coming off the ground. Or our license plate location not "meeting his standard".

It opens up opportunity for abuse!

So if I get caught 3 times with my plate in the wrong place, I get my license taken for ten years? That seems totally fair! :wtf:

So if I get caught 3 times with my plate in the wrong place, I get my license taken for ten years? That seems totally fair! :wtf:

Well the point being, you were told we need the plate so we can read it.. this is the third time and you obviously are "shunning" the law and so we are going to stick it to you.... You should have listened the first time..

I do totally agree that the door is WAY open to abuse.. if the abuse occurs, then I expect a lot more of the "runners"...

I hate to say it but you know as well as I do that a small group of riders have impossed this "iron fist" on the entire community..

The guys that "WooHoo!!" the Youtube videos of illegal stunters, speedsters and other violators just made their own plight worse..

I truly fear that fatal bike crashes may go up... and why ? cause you plate was in the wrong place (according to one officer)...

I am torn over this entire mess... Some people should not be allowed to ride because they have a problem with complying with laws and rules... BUT They make it tough on a guy that might get caught "screwing" around 1 time, just not fair IMO to hit a guy for $1000 for a moment of indiscretion.. but am totally in favor of confiscating the bike of a rider that is above the law...

This presents a golden opportunity to adjoining states with beautiful weather and beach front however....

Host all the bike events that Florida could give a *&%! about...

I have visited Florida many times but I will never set foot in that state again!

?????? Crap, why did I move down here ??? I think they are out to get me..... The tag thing is stupid, atleast the first offense, come on $1,000 for a tag being displayed improperly? I had the state part covered partially by my cover and just fixed it, but could get a grand fine for that?

Bike week to be moved to the Carolinas..

this should save the local residents tons of work trying to rent out rooms, sell tons of food, and of course the bars will not have to work so hard keeping beer in stock... should save FL lots of trouble huh?

its sad that it had to come to this. I think the fines are a little much for the first offense. I would hope that you would need a video to prove a wheelie, but I doubt it. might be a good time to hide a camera on the bike to prove that you didn't. Just one more reason to stay out of florida

The laws will help... but yeah... maybe a bit excessive in my humble opinion. I am all for nailing the stupid stunters and guys running at 120+ in traffic. But the guy who has his tag on wrong being put on the same level as the guy doing 120+ on the freeway? Really?

To all my Florida brethren:

I will not be visiting you ever. Your state is mildly retarded when it comes to laws aimed at motorcycles. I do not believe that it would be good for me to go there. I am sorry. I will miss the chance to meet you on your home turf. Feel free to visit me anytime out here in the far west. We don't hate motorcyclists as much.

Jeff

To all my Florida brethren:

I will not be visiting you ever. Your state is mildly retarded when it comes to laws aimed at motorcycles. I do not believe that it would be good for me to go there. I am sorry. I will miss the chance to meet you on your home turf. Feel free to visit me anytime out here in the far west. We don't hate motorcyclists as much.

Jeff
Suppose Ditto.... afraid that the $1000 fine because of my license plate fell short of 1 guys expectations is a bit much to swallow... (although I understand the law, the enforcement scares me)

Time to move ...........................

alot of kids are going to die, and for what ?? This sickens me

Suppose Ditto.... afraid that the $1000 fine because of my license plate fell short of 1 guys expectations is a bit much to swallow... (although I understand the law, the enforcement scares me)
The enforcement is what really scares me too. My tags are entirely legal for my state and I had a cop with an attitude tell me he could write me a ticket for them... If there was a 1k fine attached to that I may go to jail for a felony....

Back