Florida motorcycle Laws

ResidentEvil

Registered
Helmet Law 316.211 Helmet Law for motorcycle and moped riders.-- a person over 21 years of age may operate or ride upon a motorcycle without wearing protective headgear securely fastened upon his or her head if such person is covered by an insurance policy providing for at least $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of a crash while operating or riding on a motorcycle. A person under 16 years of age may not operate or ride upon a moped unless the person is properly wearing protective headgear securely fastened upon his or her head which complies with Federal Motorcycle Vehicle Safety Standard 218 promulgated by the United States Department of Transportation. Rider Education After June 30, 2008, all persons seeking a motorcycle endorsement, regardless of age, are required to take a motorcycle safety course. Available for all eligible applicants. Required under age 21. May waive skills test for successful completion of rider ed. May waive knowledge test for successful completion of Basic Rider Course. Eye Protection A person may not operate a motorcycle unless the person is wearing an eye-protective device over his or her eyes of a type approved by the department Daytime Use of Headlight Required - modulating headlight permitted Seat A person operating a motorcycle or moped shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto, and such operator shall not carry any other person, nor shall any other person ride on a motorcycle or moped, unless such motorcycle or moped is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride upon the permanent and regular seat if designed for two persons or upon another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle or moped at the rear or side of the operator. Passenger Footrest Required if carrying a passenger Passenger Age Restriction NA Helmet Speakers earphones not allowed. Helmet speakers allowed. Periodic Safety Inspection None Mirror Left(L) Right(R) At least one required by law Radar Detector No Restriction Turn Signals Not required. exhaust system No person shall modify the exhaust system in such a manner that the noise emitted is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured. No person shall operate a vehicle with an exhaust system so modified. Maximum Sound Level Maximum allowable A weighted sound levels based on measurements taken at a distance of 50 feet from center line of travel (Sec. 316.293): 1) Manufactured before 1/1/79--82dBA (35mph or less); 86dBA (over 35mph) 2)Manufactured after 1/1/79--78dBA (35mph or less); 82dBA(over 35mph). State Insurance Requirements FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY LAW - IT DOES APPLY TO MOTORCYCLES! Florida's No-Fault, or "PIP Law" does not apply to motorcycles. HOWEVER, the Financial Responsibility FR Law applies to ALL motor vehicles in Florida, including motorcycles. Thus the voluntary purchase of motor vehicle liability insurance by an owner, operator or owner/ operator is highly recommended. Failure to carry property damage and bodily injury liability insurance in case of a crash, DUI conviction or other occurrences outlined in Florida's FR Law, Ch. 324, may result in some or all of the following: Loss of license/tag and registration, and/or restitution or civil court judgment, and future proof (three years) of high risk, SR22 mandatory liability insurance coverage just to keep your driver license - even if you do not own any motor vehicles. Source: Florida Motorcycle Handbook 2006 Handlebar Height No higher than top of shoulders of the operator when seated upon the motorcycle. Rider Education Waiver Skill & Knowledge Test Accept Motorcycle Endorsement From Other States Yes Accept MSF Completion Card From Other States Yes Motorcycles operating two abreast in same lane Yes. 316.209 - Operating motorcycles on roadways laned for traffic.-- (1) All motorcycles are entitled to full use of a lane and no motor vehicle shall be driven in such manner as to deprive any motorcycle of the full use of a lane. This subsection shall not apply to motorcycles operated two abreast in a single lane. Lane Splitting The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken. (3) No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles. License Tag The license tag of a motorcycle or moped must be permanently affixed horizontally to the ground and may not be adjusted or capable of being flipped

Wisconsin is layed back.. gotta have Ins tho.. to me is a good thing.. I always where my lid.. im sure 95% of us Busa owners do

you are correct. insurance is not required in florida and motorcycle endorsement is not enforced.

Yea no more vertical plates. Also I did NOT know about the exhaust law. Mine is way over that lol, my headlight is usually off during the day too. I am a ticket waiting to happen lol. Also in Florida if you are sued and loose, they cannot garnish your assets or salary if you are the head of household. This is why OJ moved here after he lost the civil suit to the Goldman's.

I find the exhaust laws funny, strange and scary as one pissed off having a bad day Leo could really ruin yours eh ?

endorsement is enforced in Tampa they will take you to Jail !

i got ticketed the other day for not having mufflers on my harley in tampa, right off memorial hwy little before kelly road. cop didnt care i didnt have an endorsement. gave me a $350 fine and let me ride my ass back to clearwater lol

no headphones or helmet speakers? sux.
that doesnt bother me tho.

I think it's good to make new riders take the msf course. Should save lives, that is crazy about the db level for exhausts lol

I know it's my age (70), but I won't ride anymore without my helmet...having spent years riding a Harley Softail with a doo-rag, I seem to cherish what little time I have while I circle the drain of life. Anyway...my 2 cents.
Robert

IMG00001-20100926-1014.jpg

i always wear a helmet. but it depends on the leo as to whether they enforce they endorsement. i rode for 3-4 yrs with no endorsement, got pulled over in j-ville and didnt get written up for it, but got into minor accident here in ocala-the other persons fault-and the cop wrote me up for no endorsement. had to go to court got 30 day suspended sentence and required to get my endorsement within 30 days or go to jail.

i got ticketed the other day for not having mufflers on my harley in tampa, right off memorial hwy little before kelly road. cop didnt care i didnt have an endorsement. gave me a $350 fine and let me ride my ass back to clearwater lol

that doesnt bother me tho.

Your one of the lucky ones ...THAT must have been LOUD :laugh:

Handlebar Height No higher than top of shoulders of the operator when seated upon the motorcycle.
Yea it depends on how the cop feels at the time I see PLENTY of ape hanger handlebars on the streets.

I feel sorry for the ones going to bike week. The POPO will have a field day their. I went to myrtle beach bike week a few years ago and will NEVER go back. The cops there are out of their minds. They were giving tickets for anything and everything that week.

Back