another noise law

doniton2

Registered
Alton Officials: Motorcyclists, you

8-7-6: MUFFLERS, PREVENTION OF NOISE:

A. Unnecessary Noise: It shall be unlawful to operate a vehicle which makes unusually loud or unnecessary noise. (Ord. 3378, 10-12-1966)

B. Mufflers: Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon a street or highway of this City shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaustsystem of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section. (Ord. 4521, 5-14-1980)

7-13-4: NOISES PROHIBITED:

A. The following acts are declared to be per se violations of this chapter:

5. Vehicles

b. Motor Vehicle Operation: Motor vehicles, including motorcycles, whose mere operation produces a loud and raucous noise and that produces any noise that is plainly audible at a distance of seventy five feet (75'). This provision includes any vehicle in violation of 625 Illinois Compiled Statutes 5/12-602 (mufflers, prevention of noise). Every motor vehicle driven or operated within the city of Alton shall at all times be equipped with an adequate and lawful muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No exhaust system shall be modified in a manner, which will amplify or increase the noise of such exhaust system above that admitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle.

Hey Semi...you're in violation of said ordinance(s). You should immediately cease and desist... That Dual HMF system that you have installed clearly violates: "No exhaust system shall be modified in a manner, which will amplify or increase the noise of such exhaust system above that admitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle." :poke:

I'll be happy to take said illegal system off your hands. I have a stock exhaust system for you to make you compliant :rofl:

(Hey, it's worth a shot) :laugh:

:laugh: i already see a section any lawyer would have a hay day with "whose mere operation produces a loud and raucous noise and that produces any noise that is plainly audible at a distance of seventy five feet (75')."
loud and raucous is an arbatrary term! and what is plainly audible? 80db? 45db? 120db? it leaves it up to the EAR of the officer to detirmine? this law is trash! shoot i bet any AIM or ABATE lawyer could get you off just by making a phone call.
this kind of stuff happens all the time. citys make stupid laws to fight a "problem". i would suggest if anyone lives in that town, go to the city council and fix it! give them daytona beach florida's sound law, its 13 & 1/2 pages long and takes 5 fulltime officers to enforce it. if was written by abate in cooperatiion with the AMA. its a good law, just a pain to enforce. it shure shut up my city council when i introduced it as a counter to thier idea of just using 1 sentance out of it to make law. i said "1 sentance does not a good law make! if your going to use it you need all of it, all 13 an 1/2 pages and the officers to enforce it! otherwise the bikers of this community will file lawsuit for discrimination. that got thier attention. heck just bringing 40 bikers to a council meeting shook up this little town:laugh:
http://www.bikernet.com/pages/story_detail.aspx?id=7107
with the help of the ama's sound advice report and bikernet's independent noise study that is backed by the oakland police dept. i overwhelmed them with info. and won..for now.

"get up, stand up, stand up for your rights. get up, stand up, don't give up the fight!"

Last edited:
Back