Favorite sprocket combinations & why.

I tried -1/+3 17/46
on my gen2
Stupid quick, and lots of fun, but the throttle response became like a light switch from idle, and very twitchy on/off the throttle.
I didn't find it twitchy, but I could see how wheelie control could be an issue. It certainly responded quickly to throttle input.

Aprilia Hayabusa Red.JPG

For a Gen 1 with a rider under 200 pounds = 18 / 39 ~ Bryan has a Gen 2 with a 19 up front for better mileage *

I run 19 / 42 It 100% corrects speedometer error so does a 19 / 43 with 190/55/17 rear tire . Due to my rear storage mod clearance was a issue with the 55 series rear tire . Tried 19/41 but that was to tall .
There are no issues with wheelies in 1,st , and 2nd . Being tall I can just bounce up the front @ 75 mph , and ride it . Never needing to shift . No 3rd gear unless your cooking . 2nd is good for 130 mph ;)
Can still take off in 2nd gear if its not loaded for touring . Red can tell you how well it wheelies @ 6000 feet :)

Note speedo is correct but millage is off 5 miles for every 100 miles ridden vs GPS . Bike will show 100 but GPS 105

Because I ride tour a lot I found the the stock 18/43 a little bit to busy in the rev range so I changed to a 19 on the front left the rear stock alone so 19/43 very happy with this set up now :thumbsup:

As Six mentioned , I run a 200/55 with 18t / 47t with speedo healer . I am riding in mostly tight corner country , and on occasion , some sweeping corners and short straights . There are places that are more open road , but these are a distance away and north of my preferred rides .
So I like the bike to respond with urgency with any amount of throttle input and in any gear . In tight country , I tend to use 3rd & 4th tooling along and if in a hurry the lower gears to really punch from corner to corner , it gets it done fast , but a better handling short wheelbase bike will possibly be slowed up in actual corner , but pegged back with a suddenly developed reverse gear.... anytime the L2 is back on the throttle . On more open country it really is both corner and straightaway fast , and will now easily pull to top of 6th gear quickly , whereas the standard geared , pre- ecu flash etc. , 6th was definitely an overdrive with my fat ass on board . I got to add that the added 1/4 turn throttle needed to be setup to my personal tastes , because combined with the shorter gearing , can be real sensitive . What really is the absolute icing on the cake for this potent L2 ride , is the slick quick shifter , what an amazing benifit it is to overall acceleration through the gears , really adds to the special feel of this bike . If you are physically heavy , well the shorter gearing and ecu flash ( Gen 2 ) , is great way to liven things up .

Was running 17/40, then 17/43, then 16/43 then back to 17/40 but run out of top end due to gearing, so I'll be going to 18/40 to see what I can do. I prefer top speed and street racing. The 17/43 makes for fun races from 60mph.

Needs a 16 front now...stunt bike gearing!
Running 55 tire & like it better. Maybe will change to 46 just feel i need to experiment. I loved 17/40 stupid top end but no power wheelies unless catch small rise in road. So 18/46 should be near perfect for what i am doing now. But do like big speed so maybe 19 or 20 front in future?

20181228_180858.jpg

Running 55 tire & like it better. Maybe will change to 46 just feel i need to experiment. I loved 17/40 stupid top end but no power wheelies unless catch small rise in road.

If your gen2 17/40 is almost exactly like stock gearing. 2.38 stock vs 2.35 final ratio I doubt you'd even notice a difference from stock.

Edit: see your gen1 so 17/40 is stock so 46 will be a huge jump for you.

As Six mentioned , I run a 200/55 with 18t / 47t with speedo healer . I am riding in mostly tight corner country , and on occasion , some sweeping corners and short straights . There are places that are more open road , but these are a distance away and north of my preferred rides .
So I like the bike to respond with urgency with any amount of throttle input and in any gear . In tight country , I tend to use 3rd & 4th tooling along and if in a hurry the lower gears to really punch from corner to corner , it gets it done fast , but a better handling short wheelbase bike will possibly be slowed up in actual corner , but pegged back with a suddenly developed reverse gear.... anytime the L2 is back on the throttle . On more open country it really is both corner and straightaway fast , and will now easily pull to top of 6th gear quickly , whereas the standard geared , pre- ecu flash etc. , 6th was definitely an overdrive with my fat ass on board . I got to add that the added 1/4 turn throttle needed to be setup to my personal tastes , because combined with the shorter gearing , can be real sensitive . What really is the absolute icing on the cake for this potent L2 ride , is the slick quick shifter , what an amazing benifit it is to overall acceleration through the gears , really adds to the special feel of this bike . If you are physically heavy , well the shorter gearing and ecu flash ( Gen 2 ) , is great way to liven things up .
Tim you should run 18/40 That was there choice but thought is was to fast. I will give you my tune up that is really where its at anyway.

I didn't find it twitchy, but I could see how wheelie control could be an issue. It certainly responded quickly to throttle input.
18/40 the gear ratio by choice
The purpose its used for & it's advantages. Example 17/40 allows crazy top end & relaxed cruising when wanted. Wheelies, track, strip, monster mile anything you enjoy! A few people request this type of info & have no idea what does what or why.
Well 18/40 is the right choice for the gen two. Then you fix the tune like injectors secondary throttle body plates and other areas. The basic flash is ?. You have to fix the system and then learn how to ride again.

18/40 the gear ratio by choice

Well 18/40 is the right choice for the gen two. Then you fix the tune like injectors secondary throttle body plates and other areas. The basic flash is ?. You have to fix the system and then learn how to ride again.
Um, what?

Back