First ride w/16t countershaft sprocket...

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
The weather and my schedule finally decided to cooperate with each other and let me get another ride in today. This is the first ride since I installed the 16t countershaft sprocket (-1 from stock). All I can say is DAYUUUUM!
eek2.gif
The 10 is now officially the sickest, most insane machine I've ever been in control of... control bein' used loosely at times.
biggrin.gif

First thing I noticed was that it really multiplied the torque down low where Diablo was lackin' compared to Train. Takin' off from a dead stop (Leavin' stop signs, not drag launches) is soooo much smoother now and the actual "pull" starts in the lower rpms, well below the actual power band.

Another area that was really improved, and the main reason I made the swap, is throttle steering. What I mean by that is the lower gearing combined with deliberate throttle control allows for finer, more precise changin' of my line mid corner via throttle input. That was one of the biggest improvements I saw in Train when I went with the +3 rear sprocket.

The gearing change also allows me to run in third gear almost all the way through some of my favorite roads instead of havin' to shift between second and third so much. I only had to shift down to second in two tight to extremely tight "S" curves. I did shift up into fourth in a few of the straights just to cruise and wait up for my partners but in the twisties she was quite content just to stay in third and pull like a booster rocket.

Also, while she ain't a ragin' wheelie monster, she does tend to loft the front easier than before. (Duh...). Any sort of whackin' on the throttle above around 7000 rpm in first, second and third sends the front wheel skyward so smoothly and easily that it's scary. I can still roll on HARD and fuggin' SCOOT without bringin' it up but it definitely takes more finesse in the right wrist than before.

The only time the light front really affected me during "normal" riding (I didn't play with the wheelies much. That really ain't my thing...) was when I hit the straightaway I used to do the 172 indicated run the other day. I decided to see how it felt goin' on through the higher gears with the lower gearing. The wind was too high to hit anything near insane speeds so I was just gonna wind it up a little and get a feel for it. I was more than a little surprised when the front started to lift at around 8000 rpm in FOURTH gear!
eek2.gif
I never got that high into the revs in fifth due to the wind. Didn't want to run that kind of speed. I did roll on in fifth and sixth a few times and I've gotta say that it pulls like crazy in any gear now.

I have never rode or drove ANYTHING with the accelleration Diablo has now, including Train. When I twist the grip it honestly feels like it just rockets forward (or upward if that's my agenda...
wink.gif
) effortlessly. No strain whatsoever, just an instant climb up the tach and some serious g-force. It's like takin' the lighter feel the 10R has compared to the busa and multiplyin' it exponentially for each 1000 rpm the tach needle passes. The only two things I could think of that could make it any sicker or insane would be a turbo or NOS. If you've seen the videos on the internet of the turbo bikes blastin' through the gears with the front tryin' to float on every stab of the throttle, you know how Diablo rides now. It truly is unfugginbelieveable!!!
super.gif

After ownin' a busa I never thought I would be so damned impressed with ANYTHING that rolled on wheels but I've gotta say, this damned bike is one bad ass mutha with the new gearing! It is without a doubt the wildest ride I've ever been on. My signature line now fits better than ever!
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101782923 -->

eek2.gif

wink.gif

You gotta love the accel. Accel and twisties are the true fun in riding!!!

You gotta love the accel. Accel and twisties are the true fun in riding!!!
Yeah, accelleratin' through the gears is truly my passion. That and as you said, twisties. There's no doubt that a stock busa should walk me on absolute top speed now. Down low though I'm serious. Train never pulled through the gears like this thing does, even with the 43t rear sprocket. The 10 is a freakin' accelleratin' monster from first through third and into fourth gear. By the top of fourth I'd have to say Train prolly started pullin' a little harder. With the 16t on Diablo I feel like they'd be pretty equal goin' into fifth gear. By mid way through fifth though I'm confident that Train would start takin' over and continue to pull harder through the rest of fifth and all of sixth gear. Aerodynamics would also come into consideration at some point I think. Train was without a doubt more streamlined and cut the wind better at high speeds than Diablo does. Train also routed more of the wind around my big ass than Diablo does so that's another factor that would come into play up top.

That's my seat of the pants dyno readin' and my take on both bikes after ridin' both of them fairly hard anyway. I can't speak on drag type launches and such because I never really perfected them on Train and haven't played with 'em on Diablo at all. I'm talkin' rollin' on from 5-6K rpm in the lower gears.

Be careful doin' roll ons with a 10R down low. I'm tellin' ya, they are fuggin' MEAN down there, especially with a sprocket swap.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101785973 -->

Man, sounds you'll be having tons of fun now BT. Enjoy & be carefull on EL
devil.gif

That 16 would have felt just as good on the Train...Man you be careful on that 10 lot of things going wrong...
evil.gif

That 16 would have felt just as good on the Train...Man you be careful on that 10 lot of things going wrong...
evil.gif
Three up in the rear like I had on Train is supposed to be even lower gearing than droppin' 1 tooth up front but it didn't pull like Diablo does down low. Diablo tries quite a bit harder to throw me off the back in the low gears.

And yeah, all the bad stuff goin' on lately ran through my mind many times today. I certainly don't wanna be next. We don't need any more crash posts around here...
sad.gif

I ran 17/44 on the "STUNGUN" and it just didn't have the feel of -1 up front...Finally found the ones I wanted and she's back 16/42 w/boost...Hell Yeah!!!
evil.gif

I dropped one in the front and up two in the rear on my GSXR1000 and like Stunnah says, it makes a great wheelie machine. Pulls like a wild commanche but is probably a little two low if you are not going to play on the wheelies. I just love the gearing on my gixxer now. However, it has more horse power than the chassis will take in the first two gears.It slowed my wheelies down somewhat and made third gear wheelies more speed managable. I'm not into high speed stuff on the freeway or back roads so I'm not concerned about clicking 180mph.I'm thinking my top speed now will not be much over 150? I am wise enough to know high speed stuff places me as close to meeting the devil as I'll ever get before dying of natural causes like getting shot by a jealous husband. I have three up on the rear of my busa and I like that quite well on her. Makes her wheelie better, as well as gaining some cheap thrust. I'm sure that 10 is wild with one down in front but the 10 is only two bike lengths faster in a quarter than the gixxer. The difference in power between the 10, R1 and Gixxer wouldn't be noticeable unless you were pulling along side so you could actually see how the three bikes performed. I don't think you could tell the difference in the seat of your pants when it comes to two or three bike lengths in a quarter? All three are insanely fast. Just my two cents worth.

sweet..

glad to know yer havin a blast, my bro.
beerchug.gif
Just ride 'er safe and careful-like....
wink.gif

You're getting me all excited to get back and ride Baby J with her new 16T/42T gearing!
tounge.gif
Sounds like you are enjoying it and glad you were able to get another run in.

OKAY....Pull it over BT. You're having way too much fun
laugh.gif

Keep the stories coming...it's been a while.
wink.gif

cop_smiley.gif

From your first street bike a year and half ago to this: Another area that was really improved, and the main reason I made the swap, is throttle steering. What I mean by that is the lower gearing combined with deliberate throttle control allows for finer, more precise changin' of my line mid corner via throttle input. That was one of the biggest improvements I saw in Train when I went with the +3 rear sprocket.[/QUOTE]

Throttle stearing huh, on your new ride.
thumbs-up.gif
Your Progressing at an alarming rate Bro...

You're getting me all excited to get back and ride Baby J with her new 16T/42T gearing!
tounge.gif
Sounds like you are enjoying it and glad you were able to get another run in.
Sayin' I'm enjoyin' the 10 is actually an understatement, bro. I'm tickled to fuggin' death! And yeah, BabyJ ought to be a fuggin' handful with that gearing.
super.gif

OKAY....Pull it over BT. You're having way too much fun
laugh.gif

Keep the stories coming...it's been a while.
wink.gif
Yeah, that worries me a bit. Usually, when someone is havin' too much fun, LIFE throws a wrench into the spokes and trips 'em up a little. I've never had more fun with a "toy" than I'm havin' with the 10... Just waitin' on the wrench to fly in.
laugh.gif

I guess the next story will be how I tightened the head bearings. Seems they seat in and get loose on the 10 fairly quickly. It developed some slop in the steering head and wanted to headshake a little yesterday. Also developed a slight, faint "clunk" when gettin' on the brakes or makin' the front end get lite. From what I've read on the 10 boards that's the symptoms of loose head bearings. That means I've gotta buy another tool. Gotta have a spanner wrench to break the lock ring loose and adjust the spinner nut. I thought I had some tools until I started wrenchin' on sport bikes. Every time I do anything to my bike of Matt's 6RR I end up havin' to buy another damned tool.
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

From your first street bike a year and half ago to this: Another area that was really improved, and the main reason I made the swap, is throttle steering. What I mean by that is the lower gearing combined with deliberate throttle control allows for finer, more precise changin' of my line mid corner via throttle input. That was one of the biggest improvements I saw in Train when I went with the +3 rear sprocket.

Throttle stearing huh, on your new ride.
thumbs-up.gif
Your Progressing at an alarming rate Bro...[/QUOTE]
Yeah, and it's by pure luck that I haven't busted my ass and my bike up pushin' both hard enough to learn what I have...
drooling3.gif

I played with *really* hangin' off the seat yesterday for the first time. I've been slidin' my arse slightly off center to the side and leanin' my upper body until my head was around halfway between the mirror and the bike's centerline in the direction I'm turnin' for a while. Yesterday was the first time I've tried actually bringin' my ass crack to the edge of the seat and truly hangin' off. I didn't push too hard because I'd never done it that way before but I was comfortably carryin' more corner speed with less lean angle than before on the same roads and was able to use a good bit more throttle through, and comin' off of the corners.

Still gotta work on *SMOOTHLY* comin' out of the hang off and/or transitioning from one side to the other though. Got a little front end wiggle a few times from unintentional steering input. Nothin' scary but it wasn't smooth, like I like my riding to be. I was on the gas and holdin' onto the grips to keep from gettin' peeled off the back from the g-forces and made a few notchy movements slidin' back up on 'er. I'm sure that with enough seat time I'll sort out my ridin' position to where I'm more relaxed on the grips while doin' the transition.

The only way to learn it is to go out and practice though. Damn, I wish I had more time (and weather) to ride! Fargin' rain is here again today...
mad.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101828793 -->

Way to go BT ... thanks for the update and ride report. I too have fallen in love with the twisties, so I can learn a lot from your experiences. You're right, the bottom line is we have to get out there and practice, practice, and practice. My ulitmate goal is to attend the KSS classes one of these days.
In the meantime, I'll keep practicing in the mountains, reading, and learning from other riders.
Hey, have you thought about doing the video camera thing will riding? You could be the next NickSlick in the twisties !!

Back