Ever had this happen? Nail in tire

Motorcycle Tires, Do U Plug em or Replace them?

• Total voters
eh, I think I've had a plug but all depends on where the issue lies. My problem is if I dont fix it right, I'll forget about it and tear asz down the road... so the few times I've been on the fence I replaced the tire.

The one thing I used to do when i rode all the time was to swap out my tires before they were worn slam out and keep them as "hot standbys" just for this type of thing. I'm not always in a position to crap out a few hundred bucks for a tire so this way I know I have maybe 500ish miles on the old rubber. :thumbsup:

Seems like a great idea! I'll save the set I replace next time. I doubt there are any reliable statistics on plugged or patched tires at 180 mph.

i will plug the rear and trust it but i will not trust the front plugged for very long.

I had to plug my rear tire the other day to get me home. I rode it a few times before my new tire arrived but never anywhere that I was putting alot of load on it (twisty mountain roads). When I did change it out I found an easyout inside the tire.

Slightly different tire question

Do you suppose that one of the reasons that tires wear out so rapidly on a Busa is that high speed rated tires have to be thinner? The thicker a tire is, the more likely it is to throw chunks from centrifugal force that is a consequence of very high revolution rates.

I've had the same "nail in a brand new tire" issue and used one of the plugs you pull through from the inside and ran the tire like normal with no issues. Use the plug.

If it is the back tire plug it. Then take some pics of you doing a nasty burn out and replace it. If it's the front replace it.:thumbsup:

LOL I like that. I'm a casual rider (cruising most of the time, & commuting to work). I said, I'd never do burnouts on my tire. BUT, if I ever need to plug my rear tire. That would be my opportunity to do, some nasty burn outs, then get a new tire (and return to cruising again) :thumbsup:

OK, some will have the tire removed, to patch it. Some will use the plugs, that's been mentioned in this thread. What is wrong with this type of patching. I use it all the time, on the four wheel vehicles, with no problem. I haven't had to patch my bike tire yet, but this is what I have under the hump, with a compressor.

Is this patch kit OK, or not? Or should I get the other plug kit previously mentioned?

Thanks.

tire kit.jpg

I only plug the rear... If it is the front, I get a new one...
Good advice. Never heard of a plug failing but a front blowout is likely to lead straight into disaster. I've never had a flat front. Always replaced rears the 3 times i picked up a nail. If the tire was brand new and rear, i would plug it and ride.

This thread is almost 2 years old, the tire has probably been plugged, wore off, recycled and wore off 4 other bikes by now :poke::laugh:

Definitely not worth the risk, in my opinion. Guess it depends on your riding style. Maybe you can sell it for $50 to the shop.
Posted via Mobile Device

Since were making this up again. I always replace, I keep a plug kit for to get me back on the road but only to a tire shop for a replacement. When I bought my busa I was about 1500 miles into the stocker when I picked up a 16penny nail in my rear. I replaced it only to get a roofer’s nail in my new tire 500 miles later. Damn construction trucks dropping stuff out the bed. I didn't like the 003 I put on so switched it out too; a total of 4 tires in 4000 miles.

Back