nail in tire .

qwknuf6

Registered
So on the way to work this AM the back tire went down , found a nail right in the middle of the tread
crazy.gif
, The tire is a a 500 mile Pilot Power , I plugged the tire so I can ride it home . Guess I will need to replace it if I want to do any hard riding .

Mark

replacement would be best.
some have posted of a tire plug that installs from the inside. not sure though
someone will know

I am actually taking a small chance...I'm on my third freakin tire due to nails...I was cleaning my chain, and there was a tiny pin nail in the rear. It's in kinda deep and the tire doesn't seem to be leaking.

So I'm going to run with it for a while, tired of going back to the stealership AGAIN for another $200 (with install) tire when a ton of tread left is left on the old one.

One thing is for certain, riding a bike (and properly maintaining it) especially a BUSA, has NOTHING to do with economy. The little bit you save on gas (and the Beast is only getting about 32mpg) gets eaten up with extra rides, not to mention tires every 3000-5000 miles, synthetic oil, chain every 10,000 or so miles and the MODS....oh the MODS
SHOCKED.gif

As a daily commuter, I swear a car would be cheaper.
crazy.gif

"But honey, it's a motorcycle...we'll be saving money"
ices_rofl.gif

Nothing else I'd rather have though
rant.gif

Well I can tell you that SORRY French Tire Company will NOT Warrenty the tire  
mad.gif
. Those scuzzzzzzzz do NOT have a road hazard guarantee. Worthless bunch of #@!*%$ , especially on a $240 + tire , sorry @!#%* . I would tell you how I feel about that FRENCH Company, but I want  
firedevil.gif

Yea, I had one go down with 300 miles on it, worthless bunch of @!#%*  
rant.gif

I've successfully plugged two PPs with a Genuine Innovations plug kit and both held air until I changed them out. Most will tell you to change the tire though.

(CBXRider @ Mar. 02 2007,11:08) I've successfully plugged two PPs with a Genuine Innovations plug kit and both held air until I changed them out.  Most will tell you to change the tire though.
The thing is, even the tire plug companies tell you to change the tire. Their plug is not guaranteed to stay for 1,000s of miles at 60 + mph. And if you've had a BLOW OUT at upper level speeds (Yes, I have) , you will instantly know what YOUR PUCKER FACTOR is
laugh.gif

In my semi-worthless opinion the decision of to plug or not to plug comes down to whether you plan on pushing 6th gear up to lightspeed and engage the flux capacitor.
race.gif

I really wouldn't want to be rolling in around 190 mph with a nail or a plug in my tire.

90% of my riding lately has been in town commute (or close to town). Were I planning a trip to the dragon with a few very high speed runs planned on the way...I'd probably change it out.

Speaking of high speed runs (not trying to jack the thread) Man, have there been a butt load of cops around. I mean, I go out for a 1-2 hour ride...I'll see at least 4-5 (not to mention, the ones I don't see).

I got a 1000 miles out of my brand new qualifier thats on the bike right now before i picked up a nail... i didnt have the cash to get another one so i had a friend plug it from the inside with a patch... its still holding air today with no issues. I dont ride it hard though, dont want to take any chances.

I use a plug patch. Yes it is from the inside. And put a ton of miles on them. I have road them hard, top speed. I would still plug patch them, but on a fast & heavy bike take it easy on them. Just to be safe.
Big note here: I would never consider riding on a repaired front tire. Unless it was at the speed limit and just to get home for new rubber.

I am not a big fan of plugs but you gotta do what you can afford. I would likely patch it from the inside and see how that works while making plans to purchase a new tire. Since I don't ride like Nicky, I would be just fine.

Ok all this talk about plug and nails gonna make me change my tires, I have a plug and I just noticed a small pin nail in my rear tire, starting to get a lil nervous on trips so I will change it. Betta safe then sorry "Right"
Dang nails
guns.gif

Well I got a new set Maxxis cheaper and has the same thread pattern as the Avons, my last rear tire lasted bout 5000 miles and still looks new, just has those damn nails in it. I kept it and I'm gonna plug it, just incase I have the need to smoke them tires..
all_coholic.gif

Back