Caught a nail

wizeguy

Registered
I caught a nail in my tire today. I removed it and werdkat helped me plug it. Would you guys ride on a plugged tire or would you get it patched or replaced?

Plug to get it to get it to shop and replace it.
I'm afraid so... Thats the way it goes.. What price peace of mind,your safety,cost of repair or replace bike if it blows out at speed.. Blah blah blah.. I think you get the picture.
down.gif

replaced....

I'd rather plug/patch a tire on a vehicle that has 4 of em as opposed to one that has only two. At least if a tire goes out on a car, you have three others to help correct/compensate the loss of input.

Only on two wheels? Umm....let's just say that it's gonna be an "interesting" experience to say the least.

most shops will patch depending on the location of the punction but they will not plug. if it's patchable, i would patch it especially if the tire only has minimal miles.

I take no chances with tires, I would replace it, no questions asked! But thats just me.NJ.:)

The nail he caught was in the deep grooves of the tire. It should be able to be patched fairly easily.

Did the tire go down? I caught a nail last summer and thought I'd be buying a new tire, but once I got the Busa home and took the nail out, it was wedged sideways in the meatiest part of the tread...got a few more thousand miles out of it after that...

when i got my tire punctured we patched it ran it at the strip drove it an hour and some change home did a burn out and it held up pretty well. If i didnt ride like a maniac i might have kept it but it was on its last legs anyway
wink.gif
. If you putt putt around not really lettin it all hang out keep the tire. but if you ride balls to the wall or do anyking of racing get rid of it

Most would put on a new tire to be on the safe side,however, I
put a plug in my rear(BT 56) and put over 2000 miles with speeds
of 140 plus. I would not recommend doing this,but I had no
problems with a plug.

If it was a harley or equivalently slow cruiser, then maybe I'd patch it, but not on a 190mph bike.

Replace...

If I am in a car with 4 wheels doing 75mph, I don’t care if a tire goes flat. But even a front tire blow out in a car could cause you to crash.

On a motorcycle that has the ability to do 180+ and I often take it over 160+, no way am I taking ANY chances with one of two tires blowing out on me.

Heck I replaced my rear tire when I was told I had another 1000 miles left on it.

I just don’t like taking chances. I guess the best way I can put it is this.

Take the tire down and ask the mechanic who is planning on putting a plug in it if he will sign a document stating the plug will hold at speeds in excess of 180mph

If the mechanic has enough confidence to sign a document that the tire will hold at highspeeds, then go for it.

It really depends on the way in which you plan to ride your baby. For putting around town you will be okay for a little while, but I'd definitely start looking at replacing as soon as possible. I got a nail recently and rode ~2weeks with the plug, but I kept the speeds sensible and checked the air pressure frequently.

The proble is because of the torque and the appetite of the busa for rear tires it will more easily eat at the top layer of security and pop that plug out much quicker than today's liter bike.

Honestly if finances allow replace the bad boy or lighten up on the aggression until you can.

yeah, kind of like if you fly planes and you do a pre flight check and notice one of your wings has a loose flap or something and you just say "fugg it, I will fix it after I get back from flying"

biggrin.gif

Back