Ever had this happen? Nail in tire

Motorcycle Tires, Do U Plug em or Replace them?

• Total voters
Plug it from the inside and run it down to about 20% tread life.

Check pressure before, during, and after each ride and see how good of a job you did.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
what u should do is replace the tire. i cant always afford a new one though and have plugged a couple of rear tires. never had any problems with em being plugged.

Happened to me after about 50 miles on a brand new Shinko few months ago ...
Cannot be repaired as the metal piece poked from the side...
What a luck...

I guess that depends on how you ride I'd plug it an keep going but my riding style is very timid my bike is rarely over 75 -80 an if I know the tire is plugged, the bike will be lucky to even see 70 mph :laugh: But I would order my new tire an keep it close by in case I get a little bored putting around :laugh:
Was that one of those expensive tires btw??? Flats are kinda the reason I have been sticking with good tires that are reasonably priced.

I guess that depends on how you ride I'd plug it an keep going but my riding style is very timid my bike is rarely over 75 -80 an if I know the tire is plugged, the bike will be lucky to even see 70 mph :laugh: But I would order my new tire an keep it close by in case I get a little bored putting around :laugh:
Was that one of those expensive tires btw??? Flats are kinda the reason I have been sticking with good tires that are reasonably priced.

Wow! My bike is seldom below 100. At 100 it feels like 60, and there is just enough wind in my chest to take the weight off my hands. One thing I did have to learn was that just because 100 feels like 60, it's still 100. I kept getting surprised by how much I had to heal over to take curves at that speed.

has anyone actually had a patch fail?

has anyone actually had a plug fail?

this look like the masterlink thread where averybody is making claims about safety, yet nobody has actually had a failure?

i will plug it, and ride.......even high speed runs thru the mountains and a trackday....

Just this year I have had a nail in my rear tire and another puncture in rear tire. EACH TIME I REPLACED THE TIRE. I am addicted to breathing, and I wouldn't trust ANY form of tire repair when I get above triple digits. Yeah, it has gotten expennsive as hell, BUT I'm still here to talk about it.

A good plug weill allow you to run the tire like it was new. Fix it, check it later for leaks and then ride it like you stole it! Plugs work amazingly well. Seems in the last 20 years the tire companies have bad mouthed them so people are afraid to use them. Sells more new tires. I would have no problem with high speed on a plugged tire, with the blue type in the post above. Now the short plug Pashnit uses I would probably not go over 100mph. Anyway, if you guys have new tires that get a nail and you buy a new tire, I'll take your old one and pay for the shipping! :laugh:

i seem to get small gougings (sp) opposed to nails and such. just my luck. happened to me while turning around in a gravel lot (suspected) only like 500 miles on it

got a friend that has had up to 3 in the rear (tire that is) and still rode hard and never had a problem

your better off replacing the tire on a busa...
if it was a little bike i'd say to use a plug-patch and run it, but on a bigger bike it's not safe; and we all want to be safe, right?
a friend tried to plug a back tire on his bmw 1200 rt- he almost laid it down... plug was nowhere to be found!

If the tire is fairly new I'll plug it for street use. I prefer the the plugs which are installed from the inside of the tire though and not the simple pushin ones.

thats what I did.. I took the rim and tire off took it to a friends shop and pluged it from the inside :thumbsup:. I had no issues.. I took it easy on the bike.. I only had 2 months of riding left so i replaced the tire in spring.. I did a lot of burnouts with that tire just to burn it off..

I think a lot depends on whether you have TPMS or not. Without the TPMS, it's a bit risky... because you never know, especially if you like to push. However, with TPMS I would plug and ride like nothing happened, but glancing at TPMS more often, which I do anyway.

My life is worth more than a whole bike, but I'm not going to crap a couple hundred more dollars for a simple nail repair if the tire can be repaired safely. So it isn't "Z" rated anymore... how often are we all at a sustained 150mph or higher? I can live without the highspeed. I think fear of the unknown is fueling the tire changers opinion. You guys know that airplane tires are recaps?

Last edited:
Back