Nail in my tire...

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
I almost made it to work, then heard a loud pop and just knew I ran over something...

Got to work and checked the rear tire...looks like a nail from a nail gun is tightly lodged in the tread.  Here's the problem...I'm MILES from anyone that can even work on a bike, so I can't just drive down the street and get a new one mounted or this one fixed...

So far, the tire's intact.  If the tire holds up enough to ride home, can it be plugged at all?  Not a long term solution, of course, but until I can get a new tire and get it mounted, is plugging a rear bike tire a good idea?  Doesn't feel like a good idea, but my options are very limited and I kind of don't want to be stuck here at work tonight, or worse, have to leave my baby here! Oh, the horror!
tounge.gif

Is it even safe to ride with the nail it it?  Damn, I'm used to dealing with cars and flats, but this is new territory to me...

Michelle,

I'll let the mechanical experts chime in with the best advice. I'm just glad you're okay after getting that nail and please take the safest fix action, if it you can't plug it you might have to leave it at work.

Michelle,

I'll let the mechanical experts chime in with the best advice. I'm just glad you're okay after getting that nail and please take the safest fix action,  if it you can't plug it you might have to leave it at work.
If I have to leave it, I'm going to buy a sleeping bag!
laugh.gif

No...I'm not that stupid over my Busa (yeah I am), but I really don't want to leave it here...it would be gone by morning...

I'm hoping the tire will hold up and I'll limp it home, but I'll admit, I'm nervous about riding with a nail in the tire...don't know what to expect should something go wrong...

See, this is what I get for bragging about 7000 miles on the stock rear tire...my fault...I asked for it...

How many miles to home?? I woud ride it wit the nail at about 20-30 miles per hour. The only trouble if it lets go yu will be in the same situation, only in a diffent spot. Chart out your route past ar stations so you can kep checking. Then just get a new tire when you get home.

Is the nail in a tread block or in a tread valley? If in a block is it straight in or sideways?
Is it leaking? Easy way to check is spit. How long a nail does it appear to be? Plugging is an option
if its in the center half of the tire. I'd still replace the tire at the earliest opportunity. Worse
case scenario you can use fix a flat. Just let the dealership know when the replace the tire.

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "1101"|1095774123 -->

I'm in the sticks guys...the closest place that can fix and/or replace the tire is an hour's ride away...in the opposite direction of my house of course...

The nail's right on the edge of the tread valley, and stuck in there tight; more on the tread block than not. I ran my finger across it thinking I'd pull it (still thinking it wasn't a nail, just a small piece of metal), but opted to leave it be...my guess is that it's at least an inch and a half. The head of it looks like one of those odd shaped nail gun nails...

No leak as of yet that I can see...I'll check at lunch time and pour some water over it just to make sure.

I can't replace it today even if I wanted to...the shop would have to order one so, I need to get it home...just exploring options, seeing if plugging it can be done if I have to...

I had the same problem two weeks ago. Pulled in the garage and noticed some thing shiny on my rear tire...it was a nail. I tryed pulling it out, but air started to seep out so I left it in until I could get a plug kit along with a C02 cartridge so that I could replace the air lost during the repair. The plug worked great and I will be driving it to the dealer so it could be properly repaird from the inside with a patch. Here is were I got the plug and C02 cartridge which now I keep in my hump.
http://www.innovationsaz.com/INmain.....ry=kits

<!--EDIT|flyboy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1095776544 -->

Dang, Michelle. That sucks. I would check at lunch and then one more time in the afternoon before you are supposed to leave. If it has held up to that point I would do as NE suggested and ride it home very slowly.

Thanks flyboy, for the info...I'll surely invest in one of those kits because if this happened far from home, I'd be in trouble!

I just checked the tire...nail's lodged in good, and the curiosity in me wants so badly to pull it out! But, I didn't...I don't think it's leaking at all; did the H2O test and it looks okay for now.

I did have a sweet lady walk up to me and ask if I needed help. She went on to tell me that her grandson has a Harley and he took her for a ride not too long ago, someone else took some pictures of her riding on the back...she said she's 74 and never had more fun. Nice woman...and wanted to help me with my tire! I should have asked her if she could spare $190 and a Pit Bull stand, some tools...pull that thing off and go get a new one!
smile.gif

Sorry to hear about your tire Michelle.
sad.gif

You could probably run with a plug long enough to get home, and then to a repair shop, but I would just be easy on the throttle and limit your speed as much as possible. You shouldn't have to crawl along though if the plug is installed correctly. I wouldn't push it too much though.

You have a husband right? Give him a call. He would probably be glad to come help you out, and rescue the lady in distress. Imagine the ribbing you would get for that one when he talks to his Harley buddies.
wow.gif

Good Luck and Be Carefull
cool.gif

It will be fine to get you home. Just make sure it's not flat or to low on air and just ride it home. As a temp fix a plug shouldn't be a problem but I wouldn't go to fast.

Oh yeah, hubby knows what's going on...even offered to ride the Busa home wearing my SMALL helmet on his BIG head...

...pathetic, he'll use any excuse to ride my bike!
laugh.gif

Plan is to limp it home with nail intact as long as it's not leaking, then take it from there...just wish I hadn't run over a damn nail today! Last thing I needed...it's a beautiful week to ride, but I guess I won't be doing much of that...
mad.gif

If I need to, I'll go get it plugged and then go home...I'm going to research tires now...
smile.gif

Check with your co-workers, see if one of them has a plug kit.
If not, air the tire up to 42psi before leaving, go easy on the gas and brakes and ride it home.

I rode my busa once for a week before I pulled the nail out and plugged the Dunlop 208. I then use it for a burn out tire until it was down to the core. You can ride that puppy home, no problem if the nail is sticking straight into the tire so it doesn't move each time it makes contact with the pavement. Once you get it home, go to your local shuck's and buy a plug kit. Plug that puppy and ride it to work every day until you can get a new tire. Just keep your speed down under 80 mph and you will be fine and dandy!

Thanks for the info...tire's still holding up, so it looks like I'm limping it home and will be plugging it until the new one arrives...

I was pretty nervous about riding it with the nail in it, but I think I'll be okay now...never had anything like this happen while on the bike, even though I know you guys have probably dealt with it a million times...
smile.gif

Hey It's on the rear right? No worries, ride careful (Under 150) and just watch your step, catastrophic tire failure is pretty rare so the worst that is going to happen is you get a mushy squirrely ass but just stay cool and it should be a non-issue.
smile.gif

Just stay relaxed...

Hey It's on the rear right?  No worries, ride careful (Under 150) and just watch your step, catastrophic tire failure is pretty rare so the worst that is going to happen is you get a mushy squirrely ass but just stay cool and it should be a non-issue.  
smile.gif

Just stay relaxed...
Yeah...rear tire...

Hey, I'm kind of prepared for the inevitable if it pops on the way home...got my gear on, a back pack to help me if I fall...

...I'm more ticked about the "take it slow" thing really...I mean, have you guys been slow on the Busa? It sucks!
laugh.gif

Still okay...2 hours to go, then I limp it home...poor Caesar...
sad.gif

Make sure you drop a post as soon as ya get home :o)
I think I'll also take the advice and grab a kit for the backpack.

BE SAFE AND RIDE CAREFULLY..SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE TIRE... i have friend that has caught 2 nails in the last 45 days. 2 new tires. he has plugged them both and rode for a while. he will be replacing the second one here in a couple of days.
Since we have a group ride planned for indianapolis.

Back