Stuffed a PP 2CT Tuesday.
guns.gif

First road flat in 5 years.
argue.gif

Plugged it .

PSI'ed it up to 50 lbs.

And headed for the garage.

Stripped it and mounted a new one.

Plug held @ 140 but only to get me to a new tire.
muscle.gif

This kit works quite well at any speed. Used it twice on PP rears and never lost a pound of air. The shorter, wider, stickier (no glue required) tire 'plugs' make the difference I believe. Its really in the type of hole you're trying to plug. Some holes are good (plugged) only to get you into a shop. Others can last for miles with this kit.

http://www.ktmtwins.com/950adventure/mp8.html

I had a nail in my front tire the day b4 the trip to Deals Gap. I plugged it, with the intent to replace the tire after my 200+ mile trip (at speeds up 80+). Well I made it there and forgot about it, until my return trip through the Dragon as it started to rain. I rode the entire weekend, plus the return trip with no problems at all.

assuming that your tires will wear out eventually I stand by my comment

cant afford tires cant afford a busa

All you are doing is moving an inevitable purchase a few months forward

Its not like it happens a lot
I dont doubt that plugs work fine but you and ya bike deserve better ;)

mox

and yes I do have buttloads of cash

(imoXu @ May 11 2007,19:28) assuming that your tires will wear out eventually I stand by my comment

mox

woo hoo buttloads of cash
crazy.gif

I had 3 plugs in my original rear tire -- no problems --high speed runs and all
The front I have more of an issue with

Plugs and patches properly installed will never lose air or fall out, it's vulcanized in. That's NOT the point.

The faster a tire spins the more it expands. A tire spinning at 150 mph that has a damaged cord and webbing is a disaster waiting to happen. There's a reason why a tire loses it's speed rating and should never be taken over 80 mph when properly patched from the inside.

A person claiming to have done 180 mph on a plugged tire with no problems doesn't mean it's all A'Ok to do. I do things everyday at work that OSHA would roast my ass over, I don't go around telling people it's safe to do those things because I've done it and survived.

There's enough bad things stacked against you while doing 150+ mph, you don't need to add a grenading tire to that list. Why risk ending your life over a measly $140 tire? Of course you could keep it around 80 mph but that sort of defeats the purpose of owning a Busa.

80mph defeats the purpose of having a busa! I see they call you turbo for a reason.

(imoXu @ May 11 2007,19:28) assuming that your tires will wear out eventually I stand by my comment

mox

You say you have boatloads of cash, just help a brother out and send him a new pilot power, maybe a 200.

I've ran a tire with 3 plugs before. Not that I was cheap, but we had a hurricane. Mty bike had 500 miles on it BAM roofing nail. While I was thinking about a new tire BAM second nail. Now I'm thinking what if I had bought the new tire only to get a nail in that one. With in 60 days I picked up 3 nails. I used walmart rope plugs on every hole, never lost any PSI. Now that the roads are clear I will spring for a new tire.

(imoXu @ May 11 2007,21:28) assuming that your tires will wear out eventually I stand by my comment

mox

+1 on the Buttloads of CASH...
wink.gif

I have plugged a Pirelli Diablo that picked up a nail after it was 200 miles old and rode it throughout the life of the tire. I got almost 5000 miles out of it .

(Turbo-Torch @ May 11 2007,19:50) Plugs and patches properly installed will never lose air or fall out, it's vulcanized in. That's NOT the point.

The faster a tire spins the more it expands. A tire spinning at 150 mph that has a damaged cord and webbing is a disaster waiting to happen. There's a reason why a tire loses it's speed rating and should never be taken over 80 mph when properly patched from the inside.

A person claiming to have done 180 mph on a plugged tire with no problems doesn't mean it's all A'Ok to do. I do things everyday at work that OSHA would roast my ass over, I don't go around telling people it's safe to do those things because I've done it and survived.

There's enough bad things stacked against you while doing 150+ mph, you don't need to add a grenading tire to that list. Why risk ending your life over a measly $140 tire? Of course you could keep it around 80 mph but that sort of defeats the purpose of owning a Busa.
I plugged my last nail and rode on it for another 500 miles. Told myself to keep it under 80, although 105 or 110 was what really happened.

So I get a nail yesterday in my new rear skin. (just got the tire broke in)
crazy.gif

Reading what Torch says makes a lot of sense. Why throw another danger element into the mix when you're running hard? Holding air isn't the issue, cord damage is. You can't see it. How do you know?

I would rather sell the bike than have to limit my speed because of a tire. Yeah it sucks and will pay about $210 after all is said and done, and yeah I have to break-in another freakin tire,,,,,,,,, but if I feel like doing 180?
race.gif

My XB has a plug in the rear tire right now. I put an umbrella patch in it, not the first time I've done it. It'll only do 135 or so.

I wouldn't do a front.

(Vic_E55_2001 @ May 11 2007,18:43)
(DaCol. @ May 11 2007,15
super.gif
)
(Vic_E55_2001 @ May 11 2007,13:52) Guys posting +1 +2 +3 I have an Idea.
I`ll send you my address and gladly accept you bad tires. then I`ll post a video of happy me riding on those tires.
I`ll sign a liability waiver so you would not worry of me suing
beerchug.gif
 you.
Good Idea, except I make clocks out of them ! Insert an Indian Motorcycle Clock (with neon light) in the hole (fits perfect if you put an inter tube around the clock to tighten up the fit) and Vola, an Unbelieveable Great Clock for your garadge.  
beerchug.gif

I NEVER waist anything  
biggrin.gif
may we see the pictures?

what would you do with second tire? third?
More clocks?
biggrin.gif
I put Corvette Clocks (yeah, with Neon) and use them for gifts and prizes at our Vette Club and Rally Show.

And Sorry  
sad.gif
 , I am still in the stone age, as far as this computer I have at home. I don't have a Digital Camara nor the attachments to put a picture on here. At my home, I try to keep everything REAL Simple. I still use my Polarold for my LD rides.  
laugh.gif

beerchug.gif

biggrin.gif

Back