Nailed

RacerxTex

Donating Member
Registered
Ree picked up a nail in her back tire. Is OK to patch, or must I replace it?

Thanks Ya'll for your help.:beerchug:

Greg:

I've seen patched tires ride for another couple of thousand miles. If she's not shredding it, I'd feel pretty confident on a well-applied band-aid.

Good luck, and please give Ree a big holiday hug for me, will ya, bro?

You CAN plug or patch it for now, BUT do not attempt any high speed riding or aggressive riding.. Patches and plugs are only good to get you home or to the shop... Go on line and order a new tire..

I'd replace it. It's cheap insurance. That's just me. Remember, you only have two. I'd rather spend $100 something on a tire than pay thousands or maybe even get hurt if something happens to it.

I plugged a rear tire with only about 100 miles on it when I got a nail in it. Ran it until the threads showed. No problems, even ran high speeds with it.

You CAN plug or patch it for now, BUT do not attempt any high speed riding or aggressive riding.. Patches and plugs are only good to get you home or to the shop... Go on line and order a new tire..

+1 :thumbsup:

speed ratings are gone when tire integrity has been compromised.
Not worth the risk.

I once had a plug come out of a rear tire while I was riding at about 70 on my old Nighthawk. Strange experience to look down and see the front wheel pointed straight down the road while the rest of the bike (and me) wallowed from side to side.

Control below thirty miles per hour was the worst part, but I got it stopped safely. Then I had to hitch a ride into town to find a friend with a truck to help be get the bike back home.

This was on a bike I paid $400 for. I can't imagine risking losing it on a $10k bike. Not worth it. Not to mention my health is more valuable today than it was when I was twenty.

I have plugged several tires without any incident, but that really doesn't mean something will not happen in the future.

My opinion is just plug it if you are not riding aggressively. My rear tire only lasts about 2k miles anyway...

+1 had tire blow out at 65 after being patched replace it and be safe there's only 2 wheel on a bike and with out 1 it hard to keep it upright.

The problem isn't the plug and patch combo(only way to fix one right). The problem is the heat that our tires get up to. Heat melts glue, glue lets loose and so does patch and plug. Then the bike lets loose. So go get a new tire.

5-24-06 005.jpg

I've pluged a few but I'm not comfy with a plug. However, I have patched a pile over the years and never had a problem. They now make patches with a plug attached that works wonderfully well. It fills the hole as well as places a patch over the area. Great idea someone came up with and it WORKS!

Back