Nail in tire question ?

Bosshound

Donating Member
Registered
if you get a nail in your tire but it does not got all the way through. No air leak. Would you ride it or just not take a chance and replace the tire ?

If no air is coming out I'd just ride, no need to replace. Did you check it with some soapy water?

Id replace it, 99% chance it'll be fine, but Id hate to be laid up with a broken bike knowing that if i had just changed the tire....

I had that exact situation, but a bit worse. Parked the bike and noticed a screw in the tire. Took the screw out, checked for leaks - very small amount goes out, but it's an air leak. So, I orderd a new tire. A few days go by, I check for leak again, and... no leak. I guess the rubber restored its original position and sealed the leak. So, I got a small piece of rubber, lubed the hole with rubber glue, and stuck that piece of rubber in there. Rode on that tire till it was worn out.

I do have a TPS on the bike, so it was easy to keep an eye on the pressure. Without it, I would've felt less comfortable. But by the same token, if you go for a day's ride and puncture the tire at some point, you may have a significant air pressure drop shortly thereafter, and you may not even know until it's too late.

I do have a TPS on the bike

:thumbsup: Peace of mind.

TireGard Tire Pressure Monitor System for Bikes - Buy Today & SAVE!! | Pashnit Moto

tiregard2_3_400.jpg

tiregard2_3_400.jpg

I have plugged a tire, that had a nail in it and driven lick an asz for 2500 miles and had no problems, and would do it again!

But if it was very close to the side wall i would replace it!

if no air is coming out, you did not puncure the tire.....why would you replace a tire, that does not have puncture?

Yeah, Unless its a REAL bad cut why would you bother.

I have a tyre on one of mine now that had a bad puncture,
ended up trailered home. Repaired it, did a 1165 mile weekend ride
and later ran a 10.33 at the drags. Unless they are nearly bald or very
close to the side wall I always get them plugged.

The only thing I insist on, is that they are fixed from the inside out.
Rubber penny washer sits inside and its stem is pulled out through
the hole. Can NOT pull out, can NOT blow out. Never had a problem.

If its ONE puncture!!! I will plug.. patch eventually.. if its 2 punctures and they are 90-180 degrees apart.. plug and patch someday.. I think dunlop has a link on their website about save repairs..

BUT right next to each other.. I'm braking the bank or parking he bike.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

if you get a nail in your tire but it does not got all the way through. No air leak. Would you ride it or just not take a chance and replace the tire ?

Ride it.

Why change it if its not punctured? If everybody goes and examines their tires now I am sure there are many with cuts from rocks, glass or other road debris. Does that mean they should go replace the tire? Highly doubtful anyone wants to go spend $180 after looking at their tire that is not flat. If the tire holds air then it was not punctured.

Back