Tire help

mavucci

Registered
does anybody know if a my rear hayabusa tire can be plugged? i went for a 450 mile road trip last week and after i noticed that there was a nail in my tire. i dont know how long it has been there for but i put some soapy water around it and moved the nail around and air bubbles came out so the nail went all the way through and not just into some rubber. i called the local bike shop and asked them if it could be plugged they said not for the hayabusa because theres so much torque the plug would just fly out. i dont know if there just saying that so i will buy a tire from them or if it really is a safety issue. please reply because i want my tire fixed asap. my friend replaced his rear tire for about $300 but if i dont have to spend that much that would be great. the tire is almost new it has 4000 miles on it.

What kind of tire do you have??? 4000 miles is alot for most of us. If its the original tires you should just look into a new set. As far a pluging the tire most will not recomend it. It's not worth the risk if the plug comes out, and they also leak. You should just get a new one. Check with the board sponsers for a better deal on a new set.

I'd rather be safe than sorry just replace the tire. Patches and plugs IMHO are not safe for the speeds these tires have to endure sometimes.

If you are going to plug it, use the plugs that plug from the inside out. You have to take the tire off the rim to do it.

That type of plug will work just fine, but remember one thing. Your tire will no longer be Z-rated. So don't do any sustained speeds over a 100mph.

I wish I could get 4000 miles on a tire
beerchug.gif

I would replace it.

Patch it if you can find someone to do it(most won't liability reasons).I have some tires in stock depending on what you want.

I carry one of these and a small bicycle hand pump under my hump, they don't fly out, the plugs. Everything fits in the handle.
I have to agree on (no land speed records) with something thats been patched.

5_24_06_005.jpg

Patch/plug for the ride to the shop for a new tire as soon as you can afford to replace it.

4000 miles replace it. I use fix it flat, don't promote this, just saying I do. Had a bad cut one time that fix it flat didn't seal, used slime. Be careful if you exceed the speed limit. Unless you have the cash you need to get on the internet and find that rear tire for a buck eighty shipped to the door and figure out how to change it yourself. 3500 miles on a rear is good for most, I'm on my sixth tire, had the bike less than a year. It's my biggest expense.

if you do decide to plug it, this is what you need...i got about 2500 more miles out of the one i did and didn't have any problems...of course, you can see that the hole was in the meat of the rubber- not in a tread or near the sidewall...i also didn't take it over 140 or do any long 100+ mph sprints...good luck
beerchug.gif

thanks guys. i bought the bike new in feb. of this year and there the original tires. they dont look that worn. but im probably gonna replace the tire. any reccomendations on what to get are the tires that come stock good or are there any other ones out there that are around the same price that function better. last longer/grip better. i know you cant get both but what do u reccomend?

thanks agiain,
mike.

I've got a plug in my rear pilot power. I just put 1000 miles on it this weekend and have about 2500 on it total. No issues so far ( knock on wood).

(thebbbusa @ Aug. 20 2007,17:57) Patch/plug for the ride to the shop for a new tire as soon as you can afford to replace it.
Agree whole heartedly. Tires are just too damn important on a bike to risk it IMHO. I've certainly had car tires plugged. Heck my van's BFG ATs are sporting a plugged rear passenger tire ATM. But a blow out on a bike and a blow out in a car are 2 very different things. I'd replace the tire were it me.

If there's good mileage left on tire I would patch it. I'll use a plug on the road but will pull tire and patch it first chance i get. I rode a patched tire till I wore the tire out -About 6k on another bike.

(loboboy @ Aug. 20 2007,15:57) I'd rather be safe than sorry just replace the tire. Patches and plugs IMHO are not safe for the speeds these tires have to endure sometimes.
+1 but Yeah, you can plug it. But as said, I wouldn't do long distances or high  speeds with it. The risk is just too great in my humble opinion. Of course at a track I have had a rear go down at speed, and it's not something I want to do again, much less on a public road. Let's just say, I was ALL OVER the road  
wow.gif
and my eyes in my helmet looked like this  
SHOCKED.gif

(mavucci @ Aug. 20 2007,20:41) thanks guys. i bought the bike new in feb. of this year and there the original tires. they dont look that worn. but im probably gonna replace the tire. any reccomendations on what to get are the tires that come stock good or are there any other ones out there that are around the same price that function better. last longer/grip better. i know you cant get both but what do u reccomend?

thanks agiain,
mike.
Best tire to use is a round one
wink.gif

You will get as many opinions on what the best tire is as we have members, every one has their favorite that works well for their riding style. You need to find what works best for your style. You can use the search function to read ALL the threads that are already posted.

Back