Nail In Rear Tire

V-Max 2 Busa

Registered
Aparently I picked up a nail in my rear tire (Dunlop Qualifier). What is the standard fix for this, plug, patch or replace? I'd hate to have to throw away a 180 dollar tire that's got less than 1,000 miles on it. Strange that the nail was in backwards, yup the head went in first.

Safest bet is replace the tire.

However, if you can keep the bike under 100mph.  A plug from the INSIDE out will work great.  The tire has to come off to put this on.  The plugs that are put in from the outside in aren't good enough for me.

Just realize with a plug, that the tire is no longer Z rated, that's why I'd keep it under 100mph.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/escape....03.html

I've successfully used this kit to repair nail holes in two different rears and ran them until I needed another tire. I believe its the size and construction of these particular 'worms' they use. But your problem may be that you have too big of a hole to safely patch, plug or otherwise repair. As the object punctures the rubber and works its way inside the core, it slices thru valuable belts, strands, cord, whatever, which weakens the tire's construction. Small holes don't do too bad of a job on the cord but a screw, broken glass, or a head first nail may have ruined it. I'd have to inspect the inside before I'd risk it just because of its head first placement.

...like charles said ..
thumb_up.gif
Your " TYRE" is not " Z" rated anymore if you patch it .. so by all means keep the speed in check.. or buy another..
cool.gif

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/escape....03.html

I've successfully used this kit to repair nail holes in two different rears and ran them until I needed another tire.  I believe its the size and construction of these particular 'worms' they use.  But your problem may be that you have too big of a hole to safely patch, plug or otherwise repair.  As the object punctures the rubber and works its way inside the core, it slices thru valuable belts, strands, cord, whatever, which weakens the tire's construction.  Small holes don't do too bad of a job on the cord but a screw, broken glass, or a head first nail may have ruined it.  I'd have to inspect the inside before I'd risk it just because of its head first placement.
Terry, it was a very small nail, I believe it was a finishing nail for a nail gun, the head was not circular, more of a slight T shape, shaft diameter of the nail was less than 1/16"

Keep it under 100
wowold.gif
I don't think I can do that.
laugh.gif
Something told me I should have taken advantage of Cycle Gear's sale on the rear Dunlop Qualifers, sale ended yesterday.
crazy.gif

Gene, all you can do is try it.  If it holds air after a few miles you may have saved a few $$$.  I too balked at staying under 100  
winkold.gif
 and in my experience, with the OE Bridgestone and a PP, the 'worm' in this kit worked perfectly.  The kit is also very easy to use and keep with you on rides.  Luckily I've only had to use it in my garage!
clap.gif

please don't risk your life for $180. Plugs are to make it home. No longer a high speed tire when punctured.

I ended up with a pallet staple in a brand new metzler that was only a week old. I found a plug kit specific for motorcycles at a part house that was very similar to the one in the link. I ran the tire with the plug at top speeds and until the cords showed their face. I didnt cut the excess off however, I just let it wear down.

Oh yeah I have been known to not make sound decisions sometimes too.

Hey Gene,I carry one of these in the hump
http://www.dynaplug.com/
(it works,no need to dismount the tire)and a small bike hand pump (I refuse to get stranded or have to call a tow truck for a nail hole),have helped a couple stranded cyclist before. I would question the structural integrity of the tire and are you OK riding on it plugged?  I personally have ridden on plugged tires with no problems and have had some tires I wouldn't even consider riding on, it all depends on the damage? Be cool with it Mr 14 motorcycles
thumb_up.gif

I had about 200 miles on my rear tire when I had a blow out...I plugged it & used it until I needed a new tire...I didn't have any problems...

Gene i have plugged my tires before and rode on it till the tire was wore out with a finishing nail hole thats really small i think a plug will hold it if its not damaged to bad you should be ok and with what you described i think a plug will work

Gene. Buy a NEW TIRE !!!!!!!  You Gotta Remember ?  TWO WHEELS not 4 on the Road. If it was me those Two Wheels Need to Be Perfect !!!!!!!!!!!

The Dyna plug kit is similiar to what we use on the Police bikes, have never had a problem. I have used plugs on my motorcycles with no problems also.
thumb_up.gif

Plug from the inside of the tire as mentioned. I have used them many times with no issues. I have even made quite a few spirited passes the Deals Gap on a tire that was patched from the inside.

I picked up a 4" spike on a brand new Pirelli Diablo.
Tires like that here cost over $300.00

I took it to the largest distributor/tech shop of Pirelli/Michelin in the Province (State).
They used a vulcanized patch from the inside out.
Yes it lost a Z rating but, those speeds are illegal, aren't they?
smile.gif

35-3800 km.s later, the tire was worn out.
The patch looked like new.

Best Twenty bucks, ever.

Back