Tire Plugs?

///M+Busa

Registered
how do you guys feel about tire plugs?  I got a nail in the rear tire  
sad.gif
 at the 500 mile mark. Really dont want to get a new tire to replace a new tire
sad.gif

sad.gif

Because you ONLY have two tires, and a problem at 50 + mph IS a major event on two wheels. I only use plugs to get to a place I can buy a NEW TIRE. Most manufacturers also say don't ride over 50 mph with plugs. For bikes, I'am just not comfortable with plugs except to get to where I  can change the tire  
beerchug.gif

(DaCol. @ May 11 2007,09:18) Because you ONLY have two tires, and a problem at 50 + mph IS a major event on two wheels. I only use plugs to get to a place I can buy a NEW TIRE. Most manufacturers also say don't ride over 50 mph with plugs. For bikes, I'am just not comfortable with plugs except to get to where I  can change the tire  
beerchug.gif
+1

(DREW @ May 11 2007,07:23)
(DaCol. @ May 11 2007,09:18) Because you ONLY have two tires, and a problem at 50 + mph IS a major event on two wheels. I only use plugs to get to a place I can buy a NEW TIRE. Most manufacturers also say don't ride over 50 mph with plugs. For bikes, I'am just not comfortable with plugs except to get to where I  can change the tire  
beerchug.gif
+1
+2

take it in and have it patched it will hold just fine plugs are bad news and unreliable.         imox you must have a buttload of  money if you could afford new rubber every 500 miles  
all_coholic.gif

I have only had to use a plug once. Luckily my tire was destroyed from one too many burnouts and a rock punctured the tire. I plugged it and rode 40 miles at highway speeds and got a new tire. I had no issues with the plug, but I can't hold myself back from grabbing a fist of throttle from time to time so I would not want to trust the plug.

mushroom type patches are OK. O lot of people have been riding with them with zero problems.
Every tire manufacturer against patching for obvious reason but Dunlop. They even posted on their website that is OK to PROFESSIONALLY patch the tires with some conditions of course.

I run with patched tires a lot, no one problem but that is just me, my life.

500 miles tire is perfect for burnout tho... long and smoky one.
super.gif

(ozz @ May 11 2007,10:53)
(DREW @ May 11 2007,07:23)
beerchug.gif
+1
+2
+3

I will be needing to replace my PP before the end of the month. So, I will be doing a nice burnout, I will post the video as soon as I am finished melting it.

Don't fear a repaired tire(interally repaired). Done right it'll be fine.

(GMbusa @ May 11 2007,10:52) Don't fear a repaired tire(interally repaired). Done right it'll be fine.
+1 done right the tire will be ok...I wouldn't do any top speed runs on a patched tire, but for normal riding
there is nothing to worry about
wink.gif

I have run many highspeed runs on a plugged rear tire. Depends on where it is punctured, how big the puncture is and what type of repair you do... Quasar from the sh.org gave me a pretty detailed physics explanation as to why it is safe if repaired correctly even with a plug. So... Not to downplay the advice you have been given but at the end of the day you have to go with your gut.

(jessup @ May 11 2007,13:52) I have run many highspeed runs on a plugged rear tire. Depends on where it is punctured, how big the puncture is and what type of repair you do... Quasar from the sh.org gave me a pretty detailed physics explanation as to why it is safe if repaired correctly even with a plug. So... Not to downplay the advice you have been given but at the end of the day you have to go with your gut.
That would be a good read if you can provide the link to it.
I always interested why is everyone saying that motorcycle tire is any different. I patched expensive very wide car tires with zero problems after.

I think if tire has been run flat even for short period of time then carcass could be damaged or separated and plugging that tire could be dangerous.

(Vic_E55_2001 @ May 11 2007,13
super.gif
)
(jessup @ May 11 2007,13:52) I have run many highspeed runs on a plugged rear tire.  Depends on where it is punctured, how big the puncture is and what type of repair you do... Quasar from the sh.org gave me a pretty detailed physics explanation as to why it is safe if repaired correctly even with a plug.  So... Not to downplay the advice you have been given but at the end of the day you have to go with your gut.
That would be a good read if you can provide the link to it.
I always interested why is everyone saying that motorcycle tire is any different. I patched expensive very wide car tires with zero problems after.

I think if tire has been run flat even for short period of time then carcass could be damaged or separated and plugging that tire could be dangerous.
If the tire is fairly new and there is ZERO, NADA...no damage to the carcass...this can only be seen
from the inside of the tire...patch it  
wink.gif

(DREW @ May 11 2007,10:23)
beerchug.gif
+1
+2

Guys posting +1 +2 +3 I have an Idea.
I`ll send you my address and gladly accept you bad tires. then I`ll post a video of happy me riding on those tires.
I`ll sign a liability waiver so you would not worry of me suing
beerchug.gif
you.

(Vic_E55_2001 @ May 11 2007,13:52) Guys posting +1 +2 +3 I have an Idea.
I`ll send you my address and gladly accept you bad tires. then I`ll post a video of happy me riding on those tires.
beerchug.gif
 you.
Good Idea, except I make clocks out of them ! Insert an Indian Motorcycle Clock (with neon light) in the hole (fits perfect if you put an inter tube around the clock to tighten up the fit) and Vola, an Unbelieveable Great Clock for your garadge.  
beerchug.gif

I NEVER waist anything  
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

(DaCol. @ May 11 2007,15:29)
(Vic_E55_2001 @ May 11 2007,13:52) Guys posting +1 +2 +3 I have an Idea.
beerchug.gif
you.
Good Idea, except I make clocks out of them ! Insert an Indian Motorcycle Clock (with neon light) in the hole (fits perfect if you put an inter tube around the clock to tighten up the fit) and Vola, an Unbelieveable Great Clock for your garadge.
beerchug.gif

I NEVER waist anything
biggrin.gif
may we see the pictures?

what would you do with second tire? third?
More clocks?
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

biggrin.gif

Back