Ever had this happen? Nail in tire

Motorcycle Tires, Do U Plug em or Replace them?

• Total voters

ks-waterbug

Group Buy Guy
Donating Member
Registered
So I'm out minding my own business, enjoying all Mother Nature has to offer when a friend of mine pulls up next to me on his Busa and motions for us to pull over. After locating a safe place to pull into we spend a few minutes talking about our beloved bikes at which Bill suddenly stops talking and kneels down by my ride. I didn't even notice what he was looking at until after he pointed it out to me... A nail in my barely broke in new rear tire! Aghhhhhh.... I think I'm going to be sick, but I manage to get it home safely and remove the offender. Shout out to Bill.. Thank You Sir for spotting this for me. So, now I'm stuck with the option of plugging then replacing or just plugging and keeping a watchful eye!
I've already made my decision but wanted to put this out there for all the members....

Do you plug or replace?

I picked up a roofing nail in a new tire on the way home from getting it mounted once. I plugged it and ran it about 4K miles. No problems.

If the tire is fairly new I'll plug it for street use. I prefer the the plugs which are installed from the inside of the tire though and not the simple pushin ones.

This hasn't happen to me yet on the Busa, but I had this happen on the Duc and we plugged the tire. It road fine, but unfortunately a few weeks later I was sitting at Starbucks drinking coffee and was looking at my bike. I noticed a little "bubble" on the front tire and ended up having to get both tires replaced anyway....

Thanks.
Because this is a safety issue and their are lots of opinions, could we have that link pinned?
I especially noticed in the article "Never exceed 80 mph on a repaired tire"

On my M109r I had a brand new 280 put on it (on a 10 inch rim of course) and put the bike away, the next day I was getting ready for a big ride with friends and I had a damn flat tire with a nail in it, my neighbor had a plug kit, I really doubted it would work and how safe it would be but I kept checking it about ever 100 miles and it was fine.

I had that tire on for 5,000 miles, hit twisties hard, some 130 mph range runs and the thing never leaked or had one problem with it, so it worked fine for me. I was very leary too but the darn thing held like new, some times you get lucky

there are quite a few of us on here that will plug/patch a tire and ride on it...however, the tire will no longer be Z rated so ride accordingly...this is a pic of the type i use :beerchug:

IMG_0353 (Large).jpg

I would be more inclined to replace the tire if it was the front (and depending on where the puncture occured).

This is as bad as the continual oil, chain lube, which tires are best, TRE or no TRE, which chain cleaner to use etc etc ad nauseam...:banghead:

i've had it happen a few times and my life is worth more than $200, so i buy a new one. ???

eh, I think I've had a plug but all depends on where the issue lies. My problem is if I dont fix it right, I'll forget about it and tear asz down the road... so the few times I've been on the fence I replaced the tire.

The one thing I used to do when i rode all the time was to swap out my tires before they were worn slam out and keep them as "hot standbys" just for this type of thing. I'm not always in a position to crap out a few hundred bucks for a tire so this way I know I have maybe 500ish miles on the old rubber. :thumbsup:

Back