Ever had this happen? Nail in tire

Motorcycle Tires, Do U Plug em or Replace them?

• Total voters
Plug till I got home then patch and monitor often as long as my tire was fairly new. If I have less than 3/32" tread depth I'd scrap the tire and get new. Wardie

I didn't have enough nerve to ride mine with the plug in it. I occasionally exceed the 80 mph pathed tire recommendation. But, my tire was close to the wear bars which made me feel better about replacing it.

I had to plug mine over the weekend. Tire is still brand new (125 miles on it), the SCREW was in the thread so the plug didn't bother my riding afterwards. Checked it after a small 25 mile ride and it was fine.

I have had this happen twice in the last 9 years on the Busa. First time tire had 200 miles on it This was the end of riding that day did'nt happen at the house, plugged it and did a lot of burnouts down from the house then replaced.
I dont feel safe using a plugged tire at triple digit speeds. Bought an invoations tire repair kit after that Co2 type. Year later had a flat 400 miles from home kit saved the trip then replaced when Ii got home
My 2cents

I carry a plug kit for a emergency to maybe get me home and thats it. Iam not going to risk life and limb and a skinned up bike for $200 bucks. I try to maintain my busa to near perfect condition as I can because its in my best interest to ride safe without worry.

I'm running Avon Storms and the last time that happened to me...they sent me a new tire for free. I had to fill out a form and take it to a shop to verify but it was worth it. They shipped a new tire to that shop and I was rolling in a week.

coincidentally, this just happened to me the other day with only 100 miles or so on my pilot power. i put a new one on and i'm keeping my other when this one burns out. i plan on patching and plugging it as well.

plugged and rode.. even good at high speeds.. but if you need a new tire, plug it, grab a friend and camera and film yourself burning off the tire and post it on Youtube for us to see.. :laugh:

Bought new tires a few years ago for my 02 Busa, had them for 1 WEEK and got a nail in the back tire. I was PISSED. Nobody would plug it. Had to spring for a new tire to replace my new tire. Man that sucked.

My rear tire is about $400.00 mounted and balanced and last summer I got a new tire at the begining of the summer. Mid way I had gotten a little staple right in the middle of the tire. It only had about 1,000 miles on it. The next week I ordered a new tire and had it replaced. Im sorry but ME personaly, NO F IN WAY am I doing speed in acess of 150mph+ with any foreign material in my tires. No money is worth the peaice of mind. :cookoo:

there are quite a few of us on here that will plug/patch a tire and ride on it...however, the tire will no longer be Z rated so ride accordingly...this is a pic of the type i use :beerchug:
I got one of those in the back tire and I have rode over 8,000 miles already no problems so far.

I have ran a pluged tire for about 500 miles, never went over 80mph, thats just me i dont want to take that chance though...

unless you plug a motorcycle properly (ie from the inside) it is dangerous. The compounds are vary extremely across the thread at any given time. You don't want to be tossing a plug at high speed.

Back