Never had this happen before

Wianth

Registered
Hi, been lurking here for 3 weeks or so now. I just bought a 2009 used with 3,054 miles on it. The bike has been absolutely amazing! I had a minor incident on Friday, that turned into an absolute mess. I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on it.

On Thurday I rode about 300 miles (took it on sales calls) and I noticed I was getting some tire boogers coming off when I pulled her in the garage. I had it up on the rearstand and checked for any strange wear etc, discoloration. I checked the tire pressure before I left the next morning, 38 psi so it was good.

I made it about 40 miles and I lost all the air in the tire. It seemed like all at once on the highway. I was going 65-70mph, the rear started stepping out, etc. I managed to pull off the road without dumping it. I managed to find a towing company who could get it for me. (in a side note, they managed to drop the damn bike!)

I can't find any holes in the tire, granted I didn't have a ton of time to check it out...as it's sitting at a shop waiting on the insurance adjuster to check it over. Its been a crappy weekend overall dealing with insurance, etc.

Anyone else ever have this happen, or even have an idea what could have happened?

Tire boogers :poke: Either you were tearing up the corners in pro style or had a low air situation causing the tire to heat up. If you can't find a hole or cut in the tire, I'd check the valve stem for leaks and then the bead. If you hit a pothole, etc. you could have broken the bead. You're lucky you didn't dump it. Just had a rear tire do the same thing. Found what looked like a bone fragment in the tread. Pulled off a stop sign and the bike stepped out bad. Got home and found small boogers and about 12 pounds of air. pulled the fragment out and lost all air.

It won't be a cheap fix. Make sure everything damaged gets replaced.

I assumed an air leak too, but it held air overnight. It wasn't low either when I noticed the tire boogers. I certainly wasn't ripping it up either. It was mainly highway with some back roads thrown it to get to my shops.

I guess I'll find out more when they finally pull off the rear tire. I wasn't really comfortable with the tires in the first place to be honest. I've never run that brand before but there was plenty of tread left on them when I bought it.

At 3K miles you should have had the stock Bridgestone tires. I ride aggressively and get around 5K. No burn outs, but these bikes are torque monsters and you will get some wheel spin in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

There were Continentals on there when I bought it. I wanna say Conti Attacks.

They previous owner was a tool. He made some "questionable" mods to it that I've since been removing or reverting back to stock.

I have a fresh set of Pilot Power 2CT's ready to go once the adjuster sees it.

Funny I'm more upset about the tire than the two idiots who dropped it on the towtruck. I haven't even got the title back from the state and it's screwed up. Oh well.

"I made it about 40 miles and I lost all the air in the tire. It seemed like all at once on the highway. I was going 65-70mph, the rear started stepping out, etc. I managed to pull off the road without dumping it. I managed to find a towing company who could get it for me. (in a side note, they managed to drop the damn bike!)"

...they dropped your bike?! You should make the tow company pay for any damages that were done. Just my :2cents:

Oh crap, I would have major issues with the tow company. As DO3 suggested, check your valve stems. Welcome to the board.

Pump your tire up with air and rub it all with soapy water, the bubbles will quickly lead to the source of your trouble. Suspect it's the stem seal or the innards of it.

I'll have the shop check it out once they get it there. I had it towed to one of my Harley shops as i was paying $4 per mile and just needed to get a tire thrown on. I'm waiting to get it to the shop that will now do the repairs.

State Farm wasn't that optomistic about getting the towing company to pay. I was 3 miles from the WV border when it happened and I had Billy Bob and Goober's towing company doing the tow. They're trying to recover my deductable at the least.

The damn thing bounced when it fell over. The whole thing sucked from beginning to end.

Thanks for the info and the well wishes. It does look like there was a nail or a piece of metal lodged in the tire. It worked its way out and then the air went.

Carry with you a standard tire repair kit (for cars - costs a few bucks - plugs, glue and the tool to clear the hole), and an electric pump like Cycle Pump), and you could've fixed the tire in 30 min right on the road, and be on your way.

Also, I don't know how many times I said it already - everyone should get TPMS installed on their bikes. You could've known about the drop in tire pressure way earlier - possibly as soon as you pulled out of the garage.

I'd tell any tow truck driver, "If you drop my bike while towing it, you might be hoping to be wearing titanium underwear." ???

Update: The upper and lower fairing are cracked & trashed, mirror, lever, bar end, the caliper mount, the fender mount, right exhaust can, front brake resevoir, and tailight are either cracked dented or scratched to hell and back.

I'm starting to worry what the total is going to be for all of this.

Most people that tow thing do not care about anything. I saw a guy hook to a bike once trying to pull it on the truck without holding on to the bike and when it fell over he just dragged it up on the truck. You could tell he did not care about it. All he wanted to do was get paid. It seems to me they should have to pay if the tear it up. I sure hope you get them to pay for the damage they done. I would talk to a lawyer if the decline. JMO I hope you find the trouble with the tire so you will know if it happened again. Good luck

Update: The upper and lower fairing are cracked & trashed, mirror, lever, bar end, the caliper mount, the fender mount, right exhaust can, front brake resevoir, and tailight are either cracked dented or scratched to hell and back.

I'm starting to worry what the total is going to be for all of this.

With all of this it's going to be expensive. I would for sure make the tow company pay now. You hired them to tow your bike and they are supposed to have Ins to cover things like this if it happens.

I talked to my insurance company and I'm leaving it up to them to sort that out. They have the name, number, and receipt for the tow. I really have no desire to pursue it legally on my end, State Farm however can go nuts and litigate all they want. I just want it fixed, I'm kinda worried about it being totaled now that I have a limited tally of the damage.

I'm at a loss man as I've never had anything like that happen to me, but I'm glad nothing serious happened to you there.
Best of luck, we're rootin for ya

Thanks. I appreciate the sentiments.

I worried its going to be totaled. I just hope I have something to ride before MotoGP this month.

Back