Anydody ever had this happen?

BBMykey

Donating Member
Registered
Anydody ever had this happen, or have any ideas how it happened? I recently came back from a weeklong ride. The next day, before going for a ride I noticed this. The two studs/bolts are snapped off where they come out of the cush drive. Someone suggested this happens when the nuts are too loose. "Vibration snapped off the studs". I don't see that there could be any play in the sprocket with the three other studs still there. I would think that over tightening would strip the nut or strip the stud out of the aluminum cush drive before the stud itself would snap. This sprocket had been installed for about 15,000 miles. Anyways this led to a good ending. I had been saving for new wheels for a long time. I used this as an excuse to break down and buy a new set of Carrozzeria wheels. They are a great mod and I am loving them.

DSCN0084.jpg

:worthless:

You tease us telling us you got new wheels and then don't show them???

Even if you posted them in another section - since you used the sprocket as an excuse to purchase the new wheels. :laugh:

I draw a life lesson from your experience: keep your nuts tight. Otherwise, you may lose them. And whatever they are attached to will suffer. :rofl:

Seriously though, you'd be surprised what vibration does to a nut/bolt. I once poorly tightened one of the tank screws. Riding on the highway, I noticed how the sucker backed out -upward mind you - by a good 1/4". I didn't want to stop and managed to turn it back in with one hand - obviously not tight. Guess what, 15 min later that sucker backed out by a 1/4" again. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it myself.

Back