fix a flat?

slammiam

Registered
Tonight I got a nail in my rear tire, dead center. Luckily I was near a gas station and pulled in when I felt the bike responding strangely. I removed the nail, put in a tire plug, then put in a can of fix-a-flat (I'm paranoid what can I say). My questions are:

#1. Will the fix-a-flat cause any damage to the rim?

#2. I intend to drive the bike to get the tire replaced tomorrow. Is it safe to drive it after sitting overnight? Will the fix-a-flat cause the tire to separate?

I'm a little worried. Thanks for the replies.

NOw you should go buy a tire plug kit and a small co2 canister combo that you can plug and fill your tire with air until you can get to a safe destination. Check out your local mc shop for the tire plug kit and your local walmart for your co2 kit. fits like a glove in the trunk i have saved 4 bikers this seaosn with it. myself included.
cool.gif

you will be fine. Get a new tire quick. Fix a flat will not hurt for a short time. It just makes it hardr to emove the tire sometimes. So for a few miles ou will e fine.

be nice and tell the guy there's fix-a-flat in the tire before they remove it. I use to hate that when I did car tires.
mad.gif
That stuff stinks.

the fix-a-flat was as bad idea... I have had a can hose blow on me and the poop got all over my bimmer's 17" rim and it NEVER came off.

They don't make fix-a-flat for a bike that I know of so be careful how much you put in. (I also blew a tire up once by using too much.)

Cloud

you should have been able to fill it with air after you plugged it at the gas station. Can't see why the fix-a-flat was necessary or worth the risk if you ask me.

Yeah well...chalk it up to inexperience with flats.  When they took the tire off the fix-a-flat still had a low viscosity.  The plug seemed to work well.  I left it overnight and the tire was solid.  The part that freaked me out was that I noticed my bike was sort of swimming from side to side on the road.  I had previously taken a fairly sharp exit ramp at 80 mph and noticed how difficult it was to get the bike to lean.  When I stopped, the tire had 15 psi.  Yikes !

and for JohnnyCheese, I plugged it first, then put fix-a-flat in.

Itty-bitty nail cost me $200 after all was said and done...ugh.

<!--EDIT|slammiam
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097873894 -->

be nice and tell the guy there's fix-a-flat in the tire before they remove it.  I use to hate that when I did car tires.  
mad.gif
 That stuff stinks.
Many brands are also explosive if exposed to a flame. Got a can in the garage that has a nice big warning on it telling you to let your tire guy know that it's in there.

No fix a flat, the plug should have been OK to get you to where you needed to be.

Definitly tell the tire guy that you have that stuff in it.

Hey, how long do you expect rear tires on this thing to last, anyway?
biggrin.gif

plug from the outside will not work and the fixaflat didn't help.
If you plug a tire a PLUG/PATCH from the inside is what you need but then you can only go 80 MPH on it.

Why won't a plug from the outside work? Plenty of people use them on the side of the road in order to get the bike home or to a dealer so a new tire can be installed.

I'd have no issues with one getting me to where I want to be. Of course I'd keep the speed way down and not use any highways.

I did 1500+ miles on a plugged tire once, long periods over 80 with no problems. The reason was that I was on a road trip and short on cash at that point. Wrong side of the country at the time I got the flat.

I would not suggest doing the same.......

Back