ElCamino car or truck?

ElCamino "car"or "truck"

• Total voters
I could not even vote on that one. It is close to the same frame as a car. I'am sure you can't haul a ton of brick's in it. I think there just a very handy car. Doesn't El camino satad for "The road" in some language?

Last edited:
It's a car.
But I love 'em. When I was a kid, there was a guy in our little backwoods burg who had a 69 SS396 4 speed Elky (this was in '70-'71 maybe). It was a beautiful dark green with the classic chrome Crager S/S's on it. I'll never forget that thing sideways in 3rd gear going by what passed for the middle school I went to at the time.

I have a 73, with the original 454 in it still. It has about 170,000 miles on is and is pretty tired. It is definitely no jewel. It does make a good truck. I only use it when I have to haul something (trash, Home Depot runs, etc.).

It's funny, the Florida DMV office went through this same debate when I went to register it, back in 98'.

I would post up a picture, but I could not find one on this computer.

It's a car with a cargo bed. It's no more a truck than a sport utility is a car.

There is more than one manufacturer that has put their version of the SUV on a car chassis. Take the Toyota Highlander which shares the chassis of the Camry and Avalon. Volvo XC90 I think as well. Trouble is the terms "cross-over" and "SUV" are used loosely.

A suv body on a truck chassis is an suv.
A truck body on a truck chassis is a truck.
A car body on a car chassis is a car.
A suv body on a car chassis is a cross-over.
A truck body on a car chassis is a cross-over IMO.

:beerchug:

Hello all!! El Camino? We always called them a "Chevelle with mental problems" because it was a Chevelle that was not all there. :D:rofl:

Im whatching a show on discovery channel called Wrecks to Riches and they are building an ElCamino. They keep calling this thing a "truck". To me its not a truck its a CAR. If ya cant put a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat on the floor of the bed,it aint a truck. Besides the car is built on a car frame and not a truck frame. What do you guys think?

I can't put a 4x8 sheet of ANYTHING flat in the back of a truck smaller than a 1500. It doesn't fit between the wheel wells. :poke:

Besides, the El Camino defies categorization. :moon:

I could not even vote on that one. It is close to the same frame as a car. I'am sure you can't haul a ton of brick's in it. I think there just a very handy car. Doesn't El camino satad for "The road" in some language?

You can't haul a ton of bricks in what qualifies as a "light" truck, either.

Though judging from the bed liner in my fathers truck, the previous owner did just that. :whistle:

Man, the G8 ST was going to be so cool. It's off the table now. I was looking forward to that one. Now Pontiac will be lucky to survive this round of head cutting. Stupid economy.

Holden Utes are fantastic. Just one more example of a fascinating vehicle that America will never get to experience. I hate feeling left out.
now that was a good call.... RIP Poncho power...

It is a vehicle that offers the ride of a passenger car with some versatility taken from a truck. In fact the el camino was built using the station wagon floorpan of the parent platform such as the early impala based example or the later chevelle/malibu. The front most floor panel in the bed conceals the rear passenger footwell. So, it is an open bed pick-up built out of a station wagon platform no a truck. The australian practice of calling it a UTE for utility vehicle seems a more fitting name. And yes, I would love to own the Pontiac G8 branded US market Holden UTE.

so then whats the ford ranchero lol

hrdp_0801_01_z+1965_ford_ranchero+.jpg

Back