Pre-2007 chevy truck speedometer rant

bassplayerrider

Registered
My 2004 suburban just turned over 89000 miles Sunday and also my speedometer stopped working properly at almost the smae time. It stays stuck on 120mph while Im driving and when I stop it goes to 60mph. I though It had something to do with just one of those things when it comes to a high milage car. After checking the internet, this is a ongoing problem with pre-2007 gm trucks. All types. Their are lawsuits going on in Oregon and the state of Washington for this very problem. They hope to make it a nationwide class action suit. I am not a happy camper about this. I don't know how fast Iam going. Some owner had to pay anywhere from 500 to 700 dollars to R&R the gauge cluster, being that It usually happens when the truck is out of warranty. I just ordered another one online and be done with it. But this is my last gm vehicle. Has any one else had suck problems with their gm truck?

I'm not thrilled with my Envoy (OK not exactly a truck). The V6 only gets 16 MPG without a load. When I'm towing the Busa behind it, the mileage drops to 10-13 MPG depending on the terrain. I'd be OK with the performance if it got decent gas mileage. I'd be ok with the gasmilage if it had decent performance. But this engine doesn't have either. My next truck, I'm going back to a Dodge.

repost.gif

General Motors is aware of the problem as they extended the warranty on the clusters beyond the original facory warranty, but only to 70K, so your 89K is not covered. The problem is VERY common, especially '03 and '04 vehicles. They need to extend it to at least 100K, IMHO.

I'm not thrilled with my Envoy (OK not exactly a truck).  The V6 only gets 16 MPG without a load.  When I'm towing the Busa behind it, the mileage drops to 10-13 MPG depending on the terrain.  I'd be OK with the performance if it got decent gas mileage.  I'd be ok with the gasmilage if it had decent performance.  But this engine doesn't have either.  My next truck, I'm going back to a Dodge.
don't make sense does it.my 05 full size 4.8 v8 gets 16 intown driving,back and forth to work.you wouldn't believe how high the mpg is on a trip.keep it at 80mph [2050 rpm]25 is no problem.but I have to run 80 to get that.3:23 gearing with factory 17" wheel,gearing is a little high.

There is also an ongoing problem with steering intermidiate shafts since 2000.

Back