Pre-2007 chevy truck speedometer rant

bassplayerrider

Registered
My 2004 suburban just turned over 89000 miles Sunday and also my speedometer stopped working properly at almost the smae time.  It stays stuck on 120mph while Im driving and when I stop it goes to 60mph. I though It had something to do with just one of those things when it comes to a high milage car.  After checking the internet, this is a ongoing problem with pre-2007 gm trucks. All types.  Their are lawsuits going on in Oregon and the state of Washington for this very problem. They hope to make it a nationwide class action suit.  I am not a happy camper about this. I don't know how fast Iam going.  Some owner had to pay anywhere from 500 to 700 dollars to R&R the gauge cluster, being that It usually happens when the truck is out of warranty.  I just ordered another one online and be done with it.  But this is my last gm vehicle. Has any one else had such problem with their gm truck.

Link

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f11f710/5

Suits filed over GM speedometers
By David Bowermaster

Seattle Times staff reporter

Kevin Zwicker knew something was wrong when the speedometer on his 2004 Chevy Suburban indicated he was going 10 mph, even though he was driving at or near the speed limit on Interstate 5.

Zwicker's speedometer failed completely in April 2006. But General Motors did not replace it for free because the truck was outside the standard three-year, 36,000-mile warranty period.

Zwicker had purchased an extended warranty, so he paid $100 for a new speedometer rather than the usual $400 to $500.

But now Zwicker, who lives in Snohomish, is the lead plaintiff in a federal lawsuit seeking damages on behalf of potentially thousands of people. The lawsuit, filed last week in U.S. District Court in Seattle, could potentially cover all Washington residents who purchased GM trucks and sport-utility vehicles from 2003 to 2007, and who have had to replace defective speedometers.

Zwicker, 48, considers himself a "savvy driver," but said it was uncomfortable driving without knowing how fast he was going.

"I don't think it's fair that a major manufacturer such as GM can let something like this go by and not give it some serious thought," Zwicker said.

A nearly identical suit was filed this week in U.S. District Court in Oregon on behalf of John Hall, who paid $427.50 in January to fix a defective speedometer on his 2003 GMC Envoy LE.

The lawsuits in Washington and Oregon are seeking class-action status, according to Beth Terrell, an attorney with the Seattle law firm of Tousley Brain Stephens who is representing Hall and Zwicker. The suits cover five Chevrolet models: Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe and Trailblazer; four GMC models: Denali, Envoy, Sierra and Trailblazer; and the Cadillac Escalade.

Additional suits could follow in other states, but there are currently no plans to consolidate the cases into a single national suit against the world's largest automaker.

My dad had an '03 chevy 2500 that had the cluster replaced twice and also an '04 2500 that did the exact same thing. On the '04 they had to replace one of the computers to finally get it right.
I also had an '03 suburban that did this one time right before I sold it. It was also out of warranty. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that crap.

Hopefully GM will step up and take care of the problem.

Jeff

I actually just got a letter in the mail abou tmy 04 Z-71 and they said that if you have problems bring it in to get it fixed for free. Also it stated that if you have had it fixed, they will pay you back for the work....

I am not going to be home for a few weeks but if you need more info, I can have my wife send it.....

Let me know.

I have a 03 Tahoe that says I am going park all the time. Would be glad to have any info on recalls or anyway of getting it fixed. I was going to mail mine ot a guy on fleebay that replaces stepper motors in them for about $100.
Free is a better option. I can use the cash on the Busa instead.

my 2000 silverado had 181000 on it when i got rid oh her and it never had a problem.

Hopefully my 2006 won't.

Back