Paint failing on my Chevy Silverado ... any suggestions?

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Hey folks, my 2000 Chevy Silverado I have owned since new is in excellent condition, always clean and polished ... anyway to my horror I came out of the bank on Friday and see a large bubbled area on the left front fender :nervous: I have seen this on other GM products ( mostly trucks and vans ) I did a search and yes unfortunately it is a common fail for the vintage :-(

Yes the vehicle is 14 years old but the paint is not fading or neglected it is de-laminating. I am planning on contacting the GM rep but wondered if any of you have had this problem or suggestions ...?

A complete removal down to metal and professional re-spray is $7K-$10K

Thanks

Kento

It's 14 years old, and you think a gm rep is going to give a rats @ss about the paint?

It's now government motors, they could care less, they are worrying about there 2014 trucks catching fire!

In the Midwest your lucky to not have rust in 3-5 years out

The deal is one of the following or a combination of all...the steel is poor quality...the impurities seep out and delaminate the ecoat....the rinse prior to ecaot was not good enough...or a chip from behind allowed it to rust through. I have a 2003 Silverado...the gas door, above the rear wheel wells, and the rockers / cab corners are shot...major holes. I would not even think of having it repainted / repair parts...on some of the trucks the frames rot and crack. The truck was 30K and has served me well but the rust issues have presented themselves.

Don't think they'll do anything on a 14 year old truck. I know ford has been having this issue on new vehicles too. The paint bubbles up on the hood, which is aluminum.

auto painter for last 25yrs that one is on you friend if the truck looks great why would you strip the whole truck to bare metal & repaint it ??? I also own a 2000 Silverado 4x4 86,000 actual miles just repair what you have to.

Yep!! What he said!!
auto painter for last 25yrs that one is on you friend if the truck looks great why would you strip the whole truck to bare metal & repaint it ??? I also own a 2000 Silverado 4x4 86,000 actual miles just repair what you have to.

It's a GM problem. Has been for years... My boss's '08 Silverado just lost a huge chunk off the passenger door a few months ago.

Add it to the list of reasons I won't buy a Chevy. :laugh:

I agree with others though, just fix what's broke...

I forgot to highlight the difference between suggestions and opinions ... Thank you to my friends for the positive suggestions. And yes I know its 14 years old, my position to a rep is it is NOT a warranty issue, it is a "known frequent FAIL" and should perhaps be a recall issue. BTW this truck was delivered to me in Hawaii but has spent the last 11 years here in the Northern Calif Valley it has no visible rust issue anywhere.

So yes I will probly have to eat it but I'll let you guys know how it goes - Thx

Oh and other than that it has been an awesome truck! Fuel pump change and a couple of batteries ... other than that, NO probs! I would buy Chevy again

Kento

Dec Graegale 2012 001.jpg

Hey folks, my 2000 Chevy Silverado I have owned since new is in excellent condition, always clean and polished ... anyway to my horror I came out of the bank on Friday and see a large bubbled area on the left front fender :nervous: I have seen this on other GM products ( mostly trucks and vans ) I did a search and yes unfortunately it is a common fail for the vintage :-(

Yes the vehicle is 14 years old but the paint is not fading or neglected it is de-laminating. I am planning on contacting the GM rep but wondered if any of you have had this problem or suggestions ...?

A complete removal down to metal and professional re-spray is $7K-$10K

Thanks

Kento

I'd buy a replacement fender, get it sprayed, then install for the least down time. Then sand the bubble on yours, Spray some primer on the spot, and sell on Craigslist.

Most likely was a chip that has been weathered. I wouldn't reprint the whole truck either.

My suggestion is to trade it in on a Ford.
My opinion backs that up since I sell em. :laugh:

My experience says nobody warrants paint defects after twelve months.
Way too many factors out of control affect it.

Like others have said, paint what you need to, and leave the rest. A good body shop will match the paint close enough that you won't notice the difference.

Back