Vintage car wash damaged my truck

RamminBusa

Donating Member
Registered
Just wanted to send a quick message about my problem today, and some information on how Vintage Car Wash will play games with their customers.

I have been using Vintage since I got back stateside in 2003 and have never had any problems until now. My old Dodge Ram 4x4 hadoversized tires and sat a little tall never had any issues but I guess today was my day.

I went through the Vintage car wash located on Hawkins and Gateway West today in El Paso Texas. As usual when I pulled up and they took my request for the cleaning package I pulled forward and all was well when I left the truck. They vacuumed the truck and pulled it around to get washed. When the truck came out the antenna was lying in the truck just like they always do when they remove them for the car wash itself. After they were done drying the truck and started putting the antenna back on I noticed something was unusual about the antenna and the way it was facing away from the truck. I took a closer look and discovered that the machine somehow grabbed the base and pulled it making the base bend the metal around the quarter panel and leaving a hole at the top of the antenna base. After I spotted the damage, the manager came out and took a look at it. They said they were not responsible for the antenna damage. After I pressed a little harder on him making sure he understood that I was not happy with the answer, he then stated his people always remove the antenna so as to prevent damage like this from happening. When asked if the antenna was removed this time, he replied yes. My next question how can they not be liable for the damage if they removed the antenna then. If they removed the antenna, then the statement at the bottom of the receipt “Not responsible for damage to antennas, loose moldings, non-factory installed items, pre-existing damage, or driver’s negligenceâ€￾ is a mute point; the antenna was removed, no prior damage existed, and it is a factory installed base. He then told me I had to call the area manager to discuss this matter any further. You know me and have seen me with my vehicles, I know of one dent on my truck and for a fact that this happened today while my truck was in the car wash.

I will let you know the results of this problem and if Vintage has taken care of the problem in a satisfactory manner.

If they do not take care of this issue, it is my intent to file a report, and attempt to get all Vintage car wash location's here in El Paso placed off limits for the washing of military TMP/GSA vehicles. We take them pretty often and there was two there while I was waiting.

Damn that sucks and I would be pissed, as well. Hope it gets worked out for 'ya.

stick to your guns, they can post that they can shoot you, not be responsible for gunshot wounds, that wont stick up in court either.

Holy Shid you use an automatic car wash? those things will destr...umm nevermind.:p

Seriously tho, If they are liable you can simply take them to small claims court and get your money. Its cheap and you dont need to(or can't) hire a lawyer to represent you. Threating them won't make any difference, as a business owner I have been threatened (financially) a lot you develop a thick skin after a while.

I have a Dodge and I have a pretty good knowledge of the car wash industry. IMO, You are BOTH right. Car Washes are in fact NOT responsible for damage to the vehicle due to a manufacturers defect. Dodge has mounted their antenna in a very poor manner. I have replaced mine from damage done while at a car was I was servicing Unattended Gas station type). I suspect that they DID NOT remove the antenna prior to sending it through the tunnel. That makes it their fault if their policy is to remove them. Without the antenna "Whip" there is nothing the equipment can grab on to. The prepper did not remove it and it went through the "wraps" which grabbed it and twisted it sideways causing the damage. The whip was then removed and placed in the vehicle on the other end. This is all supposition but it is logically derived ( from personal experience).
Ask the manager if they video monitor their car wash facility. Most corporate run washes video their facilities to protect themselves from fraudulent claims. If they do, there will be one of the prep area. Take your receipt with you for day and time info and View that video to see if in fact they sent it through with the antenna attached. The Manager may not know the employees are covering it up. Often, vehicle damages are taken out of the tip share and the employees obviously don't like that. That would be $55 to replace the antenna base alone. If there is fender damage you're talking over $500. Hope this helps. Just remember to leave emotions at home and speak in a non demeaning professional manner. Express to the Manager the scenerio I gave you and see if he is willing to "go to the tape" BUT be prepared for the truth, Whatever it is.

I have a Dodge and I have a pretty good knowledge of the car wash industry. IMO, You are BOTH right. Car Washes are in fact NOT responsible for damage to the vehicle due to a manufacturers defect. Dodge has mounted their antenna in a very poor manner. I have replaced mine from damage done while at a car was I was servicing Unattended Gas station type). I suspect that they DID NOT remove the antenna prior to sending it through the tunnel. That makes it their fault if their policy is to remove them. Without the antenna "Whip" there is nothing the equipment can grab on to. The prepper did not remove it and it went through the "wraps" which grabbed it and twisted it sideways causing the damage. The whip was then removed and placed in the vehicle on the other end. This is all supposition but it is logically derived ( from personal experience).
Ask the manager if they video monitor their car wash facility. Most corporate run washes video their facilities to protect themselves from fraudulent claims. If they do, there will be one of the prep area. Take your receipt with you for day and time info and View that video to see if in fact they sent it through with the antenna attached. The Manager may not know the employees are covering it up. Often, vehicle damages are taken out of the tip share and the employees obviously don't like that. That would be $55 to replace the antenna base alone. If there is fender damage you're talking over $500. Hope this helps. Just remember to leave emotions at home and speak in a non demeaning professional manner. Express to the Manager the scenerio I gave you and see if he is willing to "go to the tape" BUT be prepared for the truth, Whatever it is.
Moose, you are dead on. I just got back from the area managers office and he suspects that they did in fact leave the antenna on when they sent the truck through the car wash. When it got hung up inside, they did indeed stop the machine and remove the antenna. I spotted the problem when they were putting it back on. He authorized me claim and told me about the body shop they work with. I will be getting it looked at later today or on Saturday.

The manager did state that they have rules with the employees to not accept a vehicle for the car wash if they are not able to remove the antenna. They would be charged for any damage they caused if they forget the antenna. The employee who forgot about it more than likely talked to that manager quick and let him know what happend, and that would explain why the manager was outside so quick when I started complaining, he already knew about it.

I am glad they will stand behind the problem and the damage it caused. I will keep you informed on the overall outcome when the body shop is done with the truck.

Thanks for the replies.

Back