down due to a old lady driver

Tuf at this point in time do you really need to criticize his choice in tires?
How do you know a super glue tire would not have done the same?

I'm glad you're ok. Florida ain't no joke and neither are the blue hairs.
Yes you are lucky I guess in many ways. Most lucky she had ins as the majority here don't as well as her getting cited, that's not normal.

Maybe I should sue the dealer...as that is the tire that was installed on the bike when I purchased it...lol.

On a serious note, I consider myself lucky to be alive...even luckier the pedestrian witness came running out in the road to help direct traffic around me and the bike. Nobody else took the initiative...they just sat back watched and drove by. If God was my Co-Pilot, then this pedestrian was my gaurdian angel.

hate to see the damage but glad you were able to actually ride away from the scene and she is being held accountable :beerchug:

the busa is a tough old bird...i know it could have been worse...but I'm making the best of what the has become the outcome of all this.

man i was sliding right there with ya from you describing that, glad your going to be ok, that rash lets u know your alive in the shower, take care, glad she got ticketed most get away with that crap

and to think, I almost strapped the go pro camera to the tank...almost. Looking back I wish I would have. the part that helped her get the ticket was the witness...that is what helped most.

road rash lets me know I am alive walking, bathing, and especially bending.

The problem is that people realize that they're about to get sued, so they're reluctant to speak. The guy that rear ended me last year never said a word to me. Sorry about the off, glad you survived.

yes, but the least they could do is acknowledge your existence and accept what they have done...be it for better or worse. being rear ended would definitely suck. Glad you made out ok with that too :)

I can assure you I never suggested Michelin tires. :laugh:

What tire you choose is entirely up to you. If Shinko's are your tire, so be it. What I can tell you is in the world of motorcycles Shinko is not prized as a preferred tire of choice in most circles. Actually, it was your input into the bike that caused you to loose traction and fall down, not the woman who startled you. Whatever you did during that panic situation was more than your shinko could cope with.

Shinko's are the cheapest tire available on the market that I know of and every tire comparison test I've read has Shinko at the very bottom of the list.

My point was and still is, better traction at the contact patch allows for a larger range of errors and could have very well saved you in this particular situation. A good hypersport tire should lift the rear of the bike before it looses traction.

I'm happy you didn't get hurt and you were able to continue on your way! :beerchug:

yes, but the least they could do is acknowledge your existence and accept what they have done...be it for better or worse. being rear ended would definitely suck. Glad you made out ok with that too :)
I'm old as dirt and other than walking over and asking if you're alright and helping you in anyway I could , I don't know what else could be done in the world we live in.

Tires are important. From looking at your drawing you locked the front tire and probably got slammed to the pavement.

I really don't enjoy riding , especially in city type situations like I use to. All the idiots out there ( told you I was an old fart ) and all the distractions and/or impaired drivers. I'm constantly scanning and getting out of the throttle, touching the brakes, and checking mirrors in a panic. Watching for exactly what happened to you. If I even think one of the idiots is about to turn in front of me I'm using the pass switch flashing the crap out of them with my bright.

It could have been much worse and you'll remember this long after the pain.

Rider: Glad it wasn't worse, you and bike get to live to fight another day.

Saiid: Tuf is absolutely (albeit bluntly) correct: How many times does he have to tell/beg/chide riders to stop running these high-mileage/low grip/cheap front tires? Yes, you may not be doing trackdays, and want a tire for mileage, but the better the front the better chance you have of surviving a panic-brake situation, and the trade-off of that tire is long lost when the doctor and parts bills show up.

there was no panic in the braking at all. I drove a 18 wheeler for years...I never paniced. It may be hard to understand, but I accept the situation for what it is as it is happening.

Hit a possum on the hayabusa once...started to slow down and swerve to miss...realized it wasn't going to work out and I was going to hit the possum that walked in front of me, so I straightened the bike back up and hit the possum at 55 mph (in a 65 mph zone) at night.

I'm not sure (snd I will probably never be sure) the last things I remember was the front felt like it locked and I let off some pressure off the front brake then the last thing I remember being on the bike was I felt a bounce, almost like hitting a speed bump in a car. At that point in time i was still in the right lane and I was beside her car. I am unsure if, as I was tilted to the right if the front tire of the bike some how bounced off the front tire of the car and that is how i got flung off the bike, because I would think if I would have panic braked and went down on the right side of the bike...I should have been to the right of the bike and not between the bikes tire side and the car, that is my guess any how. I could be wrong....I just don't see how a bike going down on the right side and me ending on the opposite side of the way the bike was going over...I really wish I would have had the gopro cam on that day...

I can assure you I never suggested Michelin tires. :laugh:

What tire you choose is entirely up to you. If Shinko's are your tire, so be it. What I can tell you is in the world of motorcycles Shinko is not prized as a preferred tire of choice in most circles. Actually, it was your input into the bike that caused you to loose traction and fall down, not the woman who startled you. Whatever you did during that panic situation was more than your shinko could cope with.

Shinko's are the cheapest tire available on the market that I know of and every tire comparison test I've read has Shinko at the very bottom of the list.

My point was and still is, better traction at the contact patch allows for a larger range of errors and could have very well saved you in this particular situation. A good hypersport tire should lift the rear of the bike before it looses traction.

I'm happy you didn't get hurt and you were able to continue on your way! :beerchug:

Bike Safer.com: Motorcycle Braking Time

even if a tire with more contact patch would have helped to reduce stopping distance...it would not have been enough to avoid the situation. stopping distance at 45 mph is roughly 128-130 feet on a motorcycle. if a car pulls out 50 feet in front of you and you are traveling 45 mph...you are screwed no matter what tire you have All you can do in some situations is just go for the lesser of the 2 evils. that being said, I don't feel anyone else would have faired any better using a different tire or a different method.

I never did panic, and I was aware of what was happening, but with out enough time/distance you can't avoid everything. Riding on a track with known obstacles is one thing...riding in a city setting where you can't control all the variables is another thing. I've been in a lot of situations, where If i would have paniced...I would be dead.

So what tire do you recommend? and do you know of a link that has a comparison of the tires with braking distances for each tire? track times are useless when you are looking for acceleration grip/braking distance, etc. All I could find were lap times for the tires listed.

Everytime we throw our leg over we open ourselves up to abuse. Hopefully you'll never have another instance like this one

I'm old as dirt and other than walking over and asking if you're alright and helping you in anyway I could , I don't know what else could be done in the world we live in.

Tires are important. From looking at your drawing you locked the front tire and probably got slammed to the pavement.

I really don't enjoy riding , especially in city type situations like I use to. All the idiots out there ( told you I was an old fart ) and all the distractions and/or impaired drivers. I'm constantly scanning and getting out of the throttle, touching the brakes, and checking mirrors in a panic. Watching for exactly what happened to you. If I even think one of the idiots is about to turn in front of me I'm using the pass switch flashing the crap out of them with my bright.

It could have been much worse and you'll remember this long after the pain.

I always compensate for changing road conditions...I too like riding out of the city better, I like the backroads and the country just the sights you get to see :)

I just would have figured if I would have went down on the right side of the bike, that I should have also traveled to the right of the bike too...but I can't fathom how I ended up on the left side of the bike. I don't remember how I came off the bike...may never know. Probably best that I don't remember.

I'm sure I'll be feelinng this a while.

Bike Safer.com: Motorcycle Braking Time

even if a tire with more contact patch would have helped to reduce stopping distance...it would not have been enough to avoid the situation. stopping distance at 45 mph is roughly 128-130 feet on a motorcycle. if a car pulls out 50 feet in front of you and you are traveling 45 mph...you are screwed no matter what tire you have All you can do in some situations is just go for the lesser of the 2 evils. that being said, I don't feel anyone else would have faired any better using a different tire or a different method.

I never did panic, and I was aware of what was happening, but with out enough time/distance you can't avoid everything. Riding on a track with known obstacles is one thing...riding in a city setting where you can't control all the variables is another thing. I've been in a lot of situations, where If i would have paniced...I would be dead.

So what tire do you recommend? and do you know of a link that has a comparison of the tires with braking distances for each tire? track times are useless when you are looking for acceleration grip/braking distance, etc. All I could find were lap times for the tires listed.

Braking is more about skill than it is about tire. Braking is a learned skill, not a gift we are born with. Stopping distance varies greatly between riders on the same bike and tires. Stopping distance for a professional rider will be far less than mere mortals such as ourselves will be able to accomplish. A sport bike tire will take about 1G of force before it gives up traction. You can use that 1 G for braking or lateral forces created by lean angle but you can't use 1 G of both. So we must/should learn to manage traction in order to avoid un-necessary get offs. I hope we both can agree that an increase in traction will decrease our chances of loosing traction in any given situation such as yours.

Crashes are almost always a result of errors created by the rider. Bikes don't crash, riders crash. The infamous Matt MLadin said it very well when a reporter ask why he crashed. Matt replies with "Well, apparently I ran out of talent just when I needed it most"! There is a lot of wisdom in that statement.

Braking is more about skill than it is about tire. Braking is a learned skill, not a gift we are born with. Stopping distance varies greatly between riders on the same bike and tires. Stopping distance for a professional rider will be far less than mere mortals such as ourselves will be able to accomplish. A sport bike tire will take about 1G of force before it gives up traction. You can use that 1 G for braking or lateral forces created by lean angle but you can't use 1 G of both. So we must/should learn to manage traction in order to avoid un-necessary get offs. I hope we both can agree that an increase in traction will decrease our chances of loosing traction in any given situation such as yours.

Crashes are almost always a result of errors created by the rider. Bikes don't crash, riders crash. The infamous Matt MLadin said it very well when a reporter ask why he crashed. Matt replies with "Well, apparently I ran out of talent just when I needed it most"! There is a lot of wisdom in that statement.

Most "normal" people will be able to stop a bike easily in the 128-150 ft range. if you are riding your motorcycle and a deer jumps out into the road and stops 200 feet in front of you...you are going to be able to stop as most people would. A deer jumping out in front of you at 50 foot will result in you hitting the deer...I don't care how experienced you are at riding.

If I was at a track day and washed out, I would whole heartedly agree with you 100% as it would be a track, the bike, and my skills or talent. However at the track everything is a controlled environment. You wipe out it is because of your talent or over confidence. A car pulling out in front of a motorcyclist and causing a wreck on a straight road is lack of talent on the car driver's part. Exactly where does having a car pull out in front of you giving you little to no reaction time considered "lack" of talent. I question the logic.

you contradict yourself in your first statement about the tire has little effect on braking distance. I'll give you an idea of what I am talking about as far as reaction time and stopping distance. When I drove 18 wheelers i used a 7 second following distance at 65 mph, this gave me a 1/4 mile space or better in front of my truck when it was dry, when it was raining or snowing that distance went to 15-20 seconds of a following distance. A tractor trailer running 55 mph takes 2-2 1/2 football fields, over 240 yds or over 720 feet on dry pavement. According to you, if something were to pull out in front of me within 100 feet of my truck and I hit it, then it is because my lack of skill...not because the vehicle is incapable of stopping in the distance. By the way an 18 wheeler weighing 80,000lbs going up hill can break traction on snow covered roads. This all pertains to the same tire with the same traction capabilities on different road surfaces.

Now lets get back to the traction part of things...while certain tires may provide a ever so slight advantage in "actual traction" to the road surface, other factors come into play. Pavement wet or dry, was the surface smooth or textured, bumps, was their any oils on the road (left from cars with oil leaks) there are many factors that could come into play. While you may say brand X may give better traction than brand Y. You fail to recognize that if you have no reaction time or not much time to react...then it doesn't matter how much talent you have, you will still hit it....because if it take 128 feet to stop a motorcycle at 45 mph then a car pulls out 50 feet or so in front of you that leaves a 78 foot deficit for stopping.

We can debate this all day but 3 facts remain.
The 1st fact is you were not there...so you can only make assumptions and guesses as to what happenedand why it happened. You don't know me personally and therefore you also don't know my skill level or so called talent.

The 2nd fact, even if I have no "talent" whatsoever riding a motorcycle I stand with my decision to swerve right to miss the car keeping in my lane and avoiding the car as best as possible. While it pains me that the bike and I went down (according to you because of lack of talent, according to me because of little to no reaction time/uncontrollable circumstances), I stand by my decision to try to avoid the car. which brings me to the last fact.

Fact 3, I am still alive, be it by skill,talent, luck, GRACE OF GOD...The lady driver got a ticket (as the cop felt she lacked skill or talent), my bike is going to be repaired via her insurance (as they feel she lacked talent/skill. If I had to do this scenario all over again I would rather have leather bottoms on, but I would not change How I reacted to the situation...as it probably had some impact on the fact that I am still here. The bike isn't total lost, only cosmetic and I could walk away and ride the motorcycle away.

By the way what tires are you running that you are able to stop a motorcycle in 1/3 the distance that it takes others to stop, I didn't catch the name of them.

It's all good Tufbusa, I'm just trying to figure out why you keep pulling the talent card out, I could understand it if I was in a single vehicle accident with no other contributing factors.

you have a great day :), be safe and I hope you never have to be in the situation I was in.

I kinda feel there were two choices. Panic stop, (which requires skill to pull off), or swerve, which also requires skill, but combining both, takes raw talent that most folks don't have because they don't get a chance to practice it. A good driver trumps tires every time.

I'm glad you're able to discuss this. It does help open eyes that might be shut to the urban warfare out there. :bowdown:

If you didn't hit anyone, it was a single vehicle crash. It was YOU at the controls and you simply ran out of talent when you needed it most (to quote Matt Mladin)

Sorry about your get off.

I can see a little of the Ol cotton top's logic with Stinko tires. Maybe if he was running a better qaulity tire that extra grip may have kept him up.

I learned there are 2 things you dont go cheap on with a motorcycle, tires and brakes.

The key to street riding is to look ahead and expect the worst mostly be prepared. Some accidents are not preventible and I wasnt involved in this one so I cant say.

Glad you got another chance to ride.:beerchug:

Tuf is a track rider on tuned suspension, prepped track with no surprises knowing his next turn. Whole different skill to street riding. Yes, expierence practicing controlling your
survival instincts is a skill let alone, which comes with expierence on the track or off the track on the street.

I kinda feel there were two choices. Panic stop, (which requires skill to pull off), or swerve, which also requires skill, but combining both, takes raw talent that most folks don't have because they don't get a chance to practice it. A good driver trumps tires every time.

I'm glad you're able to discuss this. It does help open eyes that might be shut to the urban warfare out there. :bowdown:

The swerve and the hard braking were separate. last thing I remember is being on the right side of my lane, to the right of her car, braking hard, her continuing to come at me and then a bump. The road was flat and I never noticed the "bump in the road" when I have traveled up it the countless times I have been up it. I don't know what the bump was...because after that I have no memory till I was on the ground of what happened.

I would be lying if I said the two vehicles made contact...as I do not know what happened. The police report should be available on monday, so maybe what the witness saw can fill in the blank spots that I can't remember.

The

Call it what you like Blanca and you are right, Jesus Christ himself may not have been able to save the poor bloke from crashing. But the fact is that cheap A$$ shinko on the front certainly played a roll in his loss of traction. I have pushed the use of traction oriented tires on the front (which is the control point of everything you do on two wheels) since long before you came aboard. Lots of guys on this board have taken notice and now use that combo of performance tire on the front and touring tire on the rear making my campaign a success I suppose. Apparently you aren't among them, eh?

5000 riders are likely to die on two wheels in this country by Christmas (FIVE THOUSAND) Anything that's round and black will work until it don't. I've been on this site for a decade and I can't remember one single season that someone on this board or one of their friends didn't meet their demise on two wheels. Death is permanent Blanca, you don't get a second chance. If you want to increase your chances of not becoming a statistic, increasing the amount of traction between you and the pavement is probably the single best thing you can do. There is a reason why an ambulance is required on site at every track day!

If you feel the desire to scold me for pointing out something that may have saved this guy from crashing, then scold away Blanca!

Aside from tire choice I have NEVER seen anyone can emergency brake and use the horn at the same time, you just cant concentrate on the important part of not falling off !!! And one other thing dude your riding gear sucks looks like motoX gloves WTF your hands are pretty important, the very least I ride in are kevlar jeans but 90% leathers and very expensive gloves, my fastest off was at a circuit about 130mph in Axo leathers and $300 gloves, nothing even wore out i didnt have a mark on me and rode in the next available session. I would be spending some of the settlement money on decent kit and Ill bet if you try to sue for injuries the ins company would have an 'out' as if you had proper equipment on you would have NO injuries.

My current choice of glove
P1020417_zps85beacae.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back