down due to a old lady driver

Lucky lucky lucky..... Glad you made it out with a bit of rash, able to walk away and tell about it. I've had one major crash, a head-on and it sucked but survived and am still riding.

Get better and time to upgrade!!!

SOOO happy you came out of this ok, bikes can be replaced......heck who knows you might walk out of this with a GEN2?:whistle: I have seen less damage than that total newer bikes.......Main thing is your ok, bike is repairable and you have a wittness to hold her accountable. Most of the time they keep going and you end up trying to make the cop and your insurance believe you were ran off the road and not doing something stupid.

I hit the ground back when I was 20, I can say it was probably the best thing to happen to me. Knowing what that asphalt feels like makes you respect it a little more.......not saying you needed it, but I did for sure.

Hope you were still able to enjoy bike week!:beerchug:

I'm sorry to hear this, but I'm glad you're ok!!!

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

Tuf at this point in time do you really need to criticize his choice in tires?
How do you know a super glue tire would not have done the same?

I'm glad you're ok. Florida ain't no joke and neither are the blue hairs.
Yes you are lucky I guess in many ways. Most lucky she had ins as the majority here don't as well as her getting cited, that's not normal.

Tuf at this point in time do you really need to criticize his choice in tires?
How do you know a super glue tire would not have done the same?

Call it what you like Blanca and you are right, Jesus Christ himself may not have been able to save the poor bloke from crashing. But the fact is that cheap A$$ shinko on the front certainly played a roll in his loss of traction. I have pushed the use of traction oriented tires on the front (which is the control point of everything you do on two wheels) since long before you came aboard. Lots of guys on this board have taken notice and now use that combo of performance tire on the front and touring tire on the rear making my campaign a success I suppose. Apparently you aren't among them, eh?

5000 riders are likely to die on two wheels in this country by Christmas (FIVE THOUSAND) Anything that's round and black will work until it don't. I've been on this site for a decade and I can't remember one single season that someone on this board or one of their friends didn't meet their demise on two wheels. Death is permanent Blanca, you don't get a second chance. If you want to increase your chances of not becoming a statistic, increasing the amount of traction between you and the pavement is probably the single best thing you can do. There is a reason why an ambulance is required on site at every track day!

If you feel the desire to scold me for pointing out something that may have saved this guy from crashing, then scold away Blanca!

hate to see the damage but glad you were able to actually ride away from the scene and she is being held accountable :beerchug:

man i was sliding right there with ya from you describing that, glad your going to be ok, that rash lets u know your alive in the shower, take care, glad she got ticketed most get away with that crap

she stopped...then she tried to drive off and the pedestrian and I told her she better stay right there. The cop wrote her a ticket. Her insurance should have to pick up the tab (even though I didn't actually hit her car) she was what caused the accident by not looking left and not yielding to traffic, which was the contributing factor of the whole accident.

What bugs me most is the woman didn't even get out of her car to ask if I was ok or even offer a simple apology. She was more worried about getting hit while she was sitting in her car in the turn lane and I was standing in the middle of the road. Peple amaze me. Her insurance company called the day of the accident and they said they were sending an adjustor out to see what the damage is on the bike.

The problem is that people realize that they're about to get sued, so they're reluctant to speak. The guy that rear ended me last year never said a word to me. Sorry about the off, glad you survived.

Rider: Glad it wasn't worse, you and bike get to live to fight another day.

Saiid: Tuf is absolutely (albeit bluntly) correct: How many times does he have to tell/beg/chide riders to stop running these high-mileage/low grip/cheap front tires? Yes, you may not be doing trackdays, and want a tire for mileage, but the better the front the better chance you have of surviving a panic-brake situation, and the trade-off of that tire is long lost when the doctor and parts bills show up.

Damn, for a 45 mph lowside you took an a$$ whoopin! :shocked:

Apparently that shinko didn't serve you well when you really needed traction, eh? My daddy always told me "You pay peanuts and you get monkeys"! :dunno:

Glad to see both you and your bike were bruised but not battered and were able to continue on your trip. Keep that road rash covered with a creamy layer of Neosporin.

not sure i would call it a low side.

7 lane road (3 each direction with a turn lane in the middle).

reason I would say I wouldn't classify as a low side is. I thought the definition of a lowside was going around a corner and rider falling off with bike sliding in front of rider. High side when bike is turned too sharply catches traction and flings the rider in front of bike. just my understanding of it.

The shinko has done me fine...every rider has what they feel is best for their vehicle. I work with a guy that buys nothing but michelin tires on everything he owns. the michelins didn't keep him from laying his bike down. I work at a tire shop and we deal with 4 types of tires. michelin, bf goodrich (made by michelin), yokahoma, and double coin. We've had more issues out of michelins (steer tires) separating at the sidewall/tread base than we have with the other tires....even the cheap double coins. Granted these are semi truck tires, but still the defect is there more so than in a tire such as yokahoma which is 200 dollars cheaper when buying a set of steer tires for 900 versus michelins 1250 price tag for 2. Sometimes buying a specific name brand gives a false sense of security. I'm not arguing with you about tires, but I don't feel that michelins would have helped at all in traction in this situation. It's not like I was running on a CHUNG LING tire or a total no name tire.

Of course there is a bright side to not running the michelins...lets say the bike did go down as it did. Then the front tire was a michelin (as you say has more traction) the front tire bites in to the pavement while sliding making the bike do barrel rolls thru the air and landing on top of me killing me. I've road on bridgestones, dunlops (which in my opinion, suck worse than shinko), and the shinkos.

There is a lot of variables that might have helped...but the only real variable that would have prevented this is the car not pulling out. I appreciate your thoughts on the matter and your suggestions as to what tire you feel i should be running...I may give it a try, but if it's not a noticeable difference then I'll go back with what works best for me.

attached is a diagram of somewhat of the accident...it's not to scale and I suck at drawing, but you will get the idea.

wreck.jpg

Lucky lucky lucky..... Glad you made it out with a bit of rash, able to walk away and tell about it. I've had one major crash, a head-on and it sucked but survived and am still riding.

Get better and time to upgrade!!!

yea, they aren't totaling the bike, I have 41XX in damages just for bike...that's not including the labor fees, just parts to put it back to how it was. new plastics for nose, tail (had some scratches where cop/ems picked it up), right fairing, bolts, starter gear cover, levers, bar ends etc.

then they have to cover the gear I was wearing. teknic coats are expensive...quite a bit more than what I originally paid.

I'm still going to ride, just have to wait till knees heal up better, road rash on bending parts of body suck, but I am alive and the bike made it out as well as can be expected.

SOOO happy you came out of this ok, bikes can be replaced......heck who knows you might walk out of this with a GEN2?:whistle: I have seen less damage than that total newer bikes.......Main thing is your ok, bike is repairable and you have a wittness to hold her accountable. Most of the time they keep going and you end up trying to make the cop and your insurance believe you were ran off the road and not doing something stupid.

I hit the ground back when I was 20, I can say it was probably the best thing to happen to me. Knowing what that asphalt feels like makes you respect it a little more.......not saying you needed it, but I did for sure.

Hope you were still able to enjoy bike week!:beerchug:

Well, I'm 34 and have been riding over 2 years. Im not saying I haven't drove irresponsible...but I've been lucky. The time I'm just chilling running the speed limit and it all goes to crap. lol. I had the going fast and accelerating quickly out of me for a while now. The cop that responded seen me driving down the road (as he was parked in a shopping plaza) and said he knew I wasn't going fast as he never heard my bike when I went by, just saw it. I drove tractor trailers for over 12 years...so I have well over 1 million miles of driving 4 wheeled vehicles. I don't consider myself an expert rider...but I'm not a rookie. I've driven right at 30,000 miles on motorcycles in the last 2 years and this was the first wreck on one. The day I bought my hayabusa we went riding and day one I had to ride it in the rain...and I'm not talking drizzle, I'm talking full out down pour and couldn't see anything cars running 40 mph or slower.

I enjoyed bike week as much as I could, walking is a pain, and bending is a whole nother level of pain.

thanks for the comments and kind words :)

I'm sorry to hear this, but I'm glad you're ok!!!

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

Thanks, there were some things that I was going to do to the bike, so this is just going to keep me from procrastinating. I have the "if it isn't broke don't fix it attitude" most the time...but well, it's broke lol. So once I can bend a little better at the knees some progress is going to be made.

Back