down due to a old lady driver

cq90stang

Registered
yesterday, when we all decided to meet up to go to daytona fl for bike week, I'm enroute to our meet up location at a local gas station. However I don't make it there, as I am traveling down SR200 (6 lane highway with a turn lane in the middle) a car decides to pull out from the left (where most normal people would get halfway across and sit in the turn lane to check for traffic) this car doesn't give a second look and pulls out about 50 ft in front of me (maybe less than that, didn't even have time to glance right and see if the lane next to me was open. But with the time given I did my best in evasive actions at about 45 mph when this started happening. First was beginning to slow down rapidly,while blowing the horn, and veering to the right side of my lane (most normal people would have reacted to this...but this was no normal person). Somewhere between the braking and the swerving the bike broke loose on the front.

Then there is a blank spot that I don't recall what happened...honestly no clue.

Next thing I remember is I am on my belly sliding down the road (sliding with the flow of traffic), passing the car (the one that pulled out into my lane) on the pavement sliding on my belly arms outstretched in front of me about a foot maybe 2 feet from her car tires, then I hear the "CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" sound. About this time i realize that my right palm is very hot and I lift my hand and look at it, and the glove has a 1 to 1.5 inch hole in it. I remember thinking to myself "This is a very unusual feelingsliding down the pavement...and where in the hell is my bike at? I'm still hearing the CCCCCCCCCCCRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" noise so I look behind me and there's the poor girl on her right side, sliding down 200 about 30 feet behind me, going straight like an arrow sliding in the middle lane on the right hand portion of the lane. About this time I feel some pain in my knees...I can eqaute the pain to feeling like they were on fire, so I arched my back as best I could and the pain went away somewhat. Shortly after that I came to a grinding stop. and looked back in time to see my bike slide past me (within a couple feet of me) and I was able to keep an eye on it as it stopped sliding about 30 feet in front of me and spun around facing me (almost like the bike was sharing the pity for me, as I was for it)

still on my belly looking at the bike, reality sits in and I remember I am on one of the busiest roads in OCALA FL. So I look back behind me to make sure that traffic is clear. Amazingly everyone has stopped and a pedestrian comes running out in the road asking me if I am ok and helping to direct traffic around me and the busted up busa. A couple people are driving by and ask out the window "Are you ok?) and my reply was "I think so). I get my helmet off and place it on the sidewalk, and I reach to get my cell phone that has survived the asphalt slide as well. I call 911 and tell them I have been involved in an accident. they ask"where am I at and I tell the "SR200" they ask near the mall?" and I say yes, like almost right in front of campus credit union (which ironically just happens to be who I bank with). About this time I hear sirens and see a cop car and tell the 911 operator this and she informs me that it is Officer Hunt of the Ocala Police Dept. I tell the operator thanks and tell her I should be all right with the cops on scene.

The cop calls EMS out who just put bandages on my knees...which was the equivalent of nothing. The cop took the witness's statement the pedestrian that ran into traffic to help direct traffic around me and the bike. The cop doesn't really ask me a whole lot of questions except "how fast were you going?" and I told him I was only running 45-46 mph when it started happening, I don't know how fast the bike and I hit the ground at, or how I ended up to the left side of the bike) and if the helmet I had was DOT approved (which it was)

The police and paramedics lifted the busa off the pavement and rolled her into a parking lot. I turned the key back on turned the ignition kill switch back and and hit the starter one time and the bike fired on the first hit. Got some real bandages at my friends house and taped them on and we all still went to daytona...although me and my bike were a little worser for wear.

For the newbie riders...what does road rash feel like? it feels like someone set you on fire.
Gloves? I'm not going to lie, it had warmed up and I almost put them back in the tail section...however I was lazy and just put them on.
Leather coat? might be expensive...but when you are sliding down the road it is taking the rash and you don't feel anything.
belt and belt buckle (got ground up pretty good, but is still usable possibly protected my pelly section a little.
I was wearing wolverine work boots. How did they hold up? ok still have my toes and no rash whatsoever.
camo cargo pants? probably the next best thing to nothing especially when it comes to the knees, regret not getting kevlar pants.

what to do for road rash? I'm using neosporen and gauze with bandage wraps that don't glue to the hairs. If anyone has some better suggestions for road rash, I am open to suggestions.

IMAG0924.jpg

IMAG0925.jpg

IMAG0926.jpg

IMAG0927.jpg

IMAG0928.jpg

IMAG0929.jpg

IMAG0930.jpg

IMAG0931.jpg

Glad your ok and here to tell about it. Did the lady stay? Did she have insurance and will she have to pay since you didn't actually hit her?

the coat survived really well. may be hard to see on the red of the coat, but the red part is scratched up good. the black was scratched up decent around the elbows...but in good repair. More importantly it didn't let nothing get to my skin.

IMAG0943.jpg

IMAG0944.jpg

IMAG0945.jpg

IMAG0946.jpg

IMAG0948.jpg

IMAG0949.jpg

IMAG0950.jpg

she stopped...then she tried to drive off and the pedestrian and I told her she better stay right there. The cop wrote her a ticket. Her insurance should have to pick up the tab (even though I didn't actually hit her car) she was what caused the accident by not looking left and not yielding to traffic, which was the contributing factor of the whole accident.

What bugs me most is the woman didn't even get out of her car to ask if I was ok or even offer a simple apology. She was more worried about getting hit while she was sitting in her car in the turn lane and I was standing in the middle of the road. Peple amaze me. Her insurance company called the day of the accident and they said they were sending an adjustor out to see what the damage is on the bike.

Glad your ok and here to tell about it. Did the lady stay? Did she have insurance and will she have to pay since you didn't actually hit her?

she stayed...but she tried to use the excuse she wanted to drive off and say she wanted to park in a safer location (she was in the turn lane). For what good it would have done I wanted to tell her I would have liked to have wrecked in a safer location. lol. She had insurance, I gues they are covering it because she was what contributed to the wreck in the first place. and it is backed up by a witness that I don't know.

Glad your okay... We dont want any more repeats this whole season...

God was your co pilot, i would be still praying. Glad your okay man... i imagined being right there from your post

Glad to know you came out fairly well.! People don't care about others anymore. Hope you can get your bike looking nice soon.

Glad you are ok. That could have been much worse.
thanks, I'm glad the bike didn'g go into on coming traffic or hit the pedestrian that was walking on the road. I'm especially grateful that i didn't get run over or she didn't keep coming for the middle lane I was sliding belly first down.

Glad your okay... We dont want any more repeats this whole season...

I didn't want the first episode...let alone a repeat lol. I still made the most of it, went to daytona beach for the bikeweek event with my friend riding my yamaha bike and me driving the busted busa with the busted threads I have in the pics.

God was your co pilot, i would be still praying. Glad your okay man... i imagined being right there from your post

No disagreeing there...sr200 is a major road in ocala. i'm amazed me or the bike didn't get hit multiple times sliding down the road, and I still don't know how me and the bike both ended up going straight down the road without veering right or left what so ever.

Glad you're alright and you've got her insurance info.
I'm glad that the pedestrian was there and gave a statement of what happened, I'm happy the bike didn't get too damaged, most of all I am happy that I have all my fingers and toes and am intact with just a little bit of road rash. I will definitely be picking up some kevlar jeans or the leathers with padding in it.

Glad to know you came out fairly well.! People don't care about others anymore. Hope you can get your bike looking nice soon.
true that. I think they should start suspending peoples licenses for causing a motorcycle wreck. I don't know what is going to come out of it yet, but the estimate from suzuki I got today is around $4500. the bike cost me 7500 when I purchased it and every model close to what I have as far as miles/year are in the 7500-9000 dollar range

I don't know how high they go before they will total it...and I would rather it not be totaled as it still runs true and straight and no damage to frame that I can see and the only damage I've seen on motor is the starter cover being scrapped up.

Damn, for a 45 mph lowside you took an a$$ whoopin! :shocked:

Apparently that shinko didn't serve you well when you really needed traction, eh? My daddy always told me "You pay peanuts and you get monkeys"! :dunno:

Glad to see both you and your bike were bruised but not battered and were able to continue on your trip. Keep that road rash covered with a creamy layer of Neosporin.

Back