Cannot find the "buying a Firearm Thread" but here's a start... New XD ***New PICS***

Revlis

Re-Recycled, Busa-Less...
Donating Member
Registered
Yeah I got bored today and went to the range. Found a poor ugly looking Springfield XD 45 that just looked like it needed a home.

Poor Homely thing. Reminded me of that one gimpy puppy at the shelter ya know, you just cannot leave it there, all lonely int he corner while the "COOL" black guns were making fun of it...

I shot the new FN .45 and immediately test fired the XD .45 again. The 2" offhand group of the XD VS the 4" offhand group with the FN was all the convincing I needed. I've been wanting an XD for awhile, just been putting it off, so here's what I picked up plus three more 13rnd mags for a total of five.

It's just a little trigger work away from being perfect for me... Also picked up an FN-FAL last week, and will post pics of that as well soon. The XD should be here on the 12th... :whistle: I hate waiting...

Anyhoo, here's the XD, I'll post the FAL in a day or two. :thumbsup:

XD-45.jpg

Re: Well, I cannot find the "planning to buy Firearm Thread" but here's a start... Ne

Seriously, just looks so... Fugly... :rofl:

Felt that it needed me...

Re: Well, I cannot find the "planning to buy Firearm Thread" but here's a start... Ne

Oh God you with more guns! :rofl:

Yeah, it won't win any fashion contest, but nothing a like a new .45 nonetheless. I have flirted with XD's before, but never brought myself to buying one.

Enjoy.

But very nice,, i will say!

Yeah, it won't win any fashion contest, but nothing a like a new .45 nonetheless. I have flirted with XD's before, but never brought myself to buying one.

Enjoy.

Yeah, she's ugly, but she's got that something about her... Great personality I think. :laugh:

Lot's of New .45s out there deserving a look. I thought the XD was a cut and dried deal. But lo-behold there's a new .45 from FN Herstal that is 15+1, and Smith & Wesson has their new M&P series .45 that felt pretty good as well. SO turned into a bit of a shoot off at the range.

What it came down to is fit and feel, it's critical that you pic a weapon that fits you if you intend to use it for defense and in the end the XD fits my hand better than any other .45 on the market including anything based on a 1911. Dunno, I'm the only guy on the planet that doesn't like the feel of the 1911.

Add perfect feel leading to better shooting and we're done.

Oh God you with more guns! :rofl:

:laugh: What!?! I'm one of the least addicted on the block I think. There's a bigger nutters than me! :lol:

As far as "feel", I don't know it they make one to fit that gun, but I have a Hogue wrap-around on my H&K .45. It cut down greatly on the biting I was getting from the knurling on the plastic. You know .45's transfer quite a bit of energy, well at least mine does since it is a compact. Maybe one of these days I will pick up a full-size .45. I would probable go with a 1911-style though, maybe a Kimber or a Springfield.

What kinda ammo you running?

As far as "feel", I don't know it they make one to fit that gun, but I have a Hogue wrap-around on my H&K .45. It cut down greatly on the biting I was getting from the knurling on the plastic. You know .45's transfer quite a bit of energy, well at least mine does since it is a compact. Maybe one of these days I will pick up a full-size .45. I would probable go with a 1911-style though, maybe a Kimber or a Springfield.

What kinda ammo you running?

None, yet. Will likely be buying some manner of Federal FMJ for practice, and something from Cor-Bon or Federal for Defense, but I have no idea just yet will likely be whatever I find in Bulk somewhere in an FMJ though for practice.

Yeah, The HK USP has some seriously hard core knurl to it, spent a couple of hours plugging away with one and I remember. The Knurling on the XD isn't quite as aggressive, but it is still roughed up, so we'll see, I might try and find something.

I miss out on a lot of shooting fun by not enjoying the 1911's, they are a lot of fun to build, tweak, and customize... Though I also save a lot of money by not being tempted to buy $2300 pistols.

Hey Rev, could you tell me about the FAL?

I've looked it up a little, but how much would I be paying for one? How accurate? How hard to find? How durable? etc. (Pretty much anything you can think of)

I'd like to have one...oh and I'd like to have an HK G3 also...*drools*

Hey Rev, could you tell me about the FAL?

I've looked it up a little, but how much would I be paying for one? How accurate? How hard to find? How durable? etc. (Pretty much anything you can think of)

I'd like to have one...oh and I'd like to have an HK G3 also...*drools*

The FAL is sort of an in between Combat rifle... It's what happens when an AK47 and an M16 are left alone in Belgium for too long.

It's Got much of the idiot-proof reliability of the AK with a "better" cartridge .308 or 7.62X51, and somewhat better accuracy derived from AR genetics.

The FN-FAL is NOT I repeat "NOT a Scalpel, it's an Axe." I read this somewhere... At 300yrds you're likely to be hitting a 5" ring all day. More than accurate enough for mortals, but NOT the choice for someone obsessed with accuracy, that's the job of the M-14.

However I don't know much more than that, TO hell and back reliable, powerful caliber, soldier accurate, and the 2nd most prolific combat rifle in existence, right behind the AK47. OH and it's freaking huge compared to an AR. :laugh:

Prices vary wildly between used and new, and quality of rifle. DSA I guess makes some good ones, and there are others as well. I see FALs from $4K to $700. I bought one cheap to see if I like the platform at about $800 used.

But Check out FALFiles. It's a Forum full of FAL fans... Should be able to learn just about everything.

BUT I will offer this, I am glad I didn't spend a bunch on a .308 rifle. The more I think about it, a proper bolt action .308 with some quality glass is a much better long range solution than a FAL or HK for much less money, and I'll take the AR in 5.56 all day at under 300 yards and lets be practical, that's much MUCH further than one will ever need, even in most SHTF, or EOTWAWKI/Zombie scenarios.

5.56 is plenty accurate in the real world, and plenty effective, so yeah, I'm kinda going back to getting another AR or an FN FS2000... :thumbsup:

Cool, then you can give me the FAL if you're going back to the AR...:laugh:

I also want one of those Beretta Subguns...(can't think of the name...) they are chambered in 9mm, .40, and .45 Do you know anything about those? ???

Cool, then you can give me the FAL if you're going back to the AR...:laugh:

I also want one of those Beretta Subguns...(can't think of the name...) they are chambered in 9mm, .40, and .45 Do you know anything about those? ???

No sorry, No help at all on the subguns... Though that would be a great purchase. Pick up an H&K MP5 in 9mm. Would be a lot of fun.

And I'll be keeping my FAL thank you. It's huge and ugly... I'll post up pics soon...:thumbsup:

I want this one!...

SA58 FALTactical Carbine Rifle, .308 Cal.

No sorry, No help at all on the subguns... Though that would be a great purchase. Pick up an H&K MP5 in 9mm. Would be a lot of fun.

And I'll be keeping my FAL thank you. It's huge and ugly... I'll post up pics soon...:thumbsup:

How hard would it be to find a Semi HK MP5? ??? (UMP 45 would be awsome too)

I've got SOOO many guns I wanna get before the bans start. :down:

You gun nut. Enjoy that fugly gun. :thumbsup:

Enjoy, the XD is a great weapon, has a few short comings which are strictly based upon personal opinion, and not my first pick but they are nice guns, especially if you don't plan on carrying it daily.

As far as trigger work goes, contact Springfield. They have two types of trigger jobs they do. Competition and Duty. Because I carried it for duty use at the time I had them do a competition job with a 5lb trigger pull, they can go lighter, but seriously I don't know why you would need it. When I got it back the trigger was much better than my Kimber Desert Warrior. Less travel and much much crisper. I was amazed they were able to do a trigger like that on a plastic gun. Was kind of pricey, over 200 if I remember correctly but if you want the perfect trigger that would be it.

Revlis, I need to come up and go shooting with you :whistle: Give me a reason to get my SKS and the enfield out. I have yet to shoot the enfield... Mostly due to ranges not liking my SKS. Or the look of the shotgun for that matter...

That and Sarah wants to visit again :laugh: Maybe I'll work that into a reason...

Love the XD's but don't own the full size just a sub... After you get some rounds through her let us know what cha think. Had thought about some trigger work as well but after seeing the cost I quickly moved on to another pistol.

Back