Hey bullet and the rest of ya weapons geeks...

yeah, if you have a huge back yard...thats a choice
biggrin.gif

My experience with my AR has been awesome. The FN 2000 looks interesting but I think I'd still prefer the AR platform for an all around plinker. You just can't beat the AR's aftermarket and parts availability. If I had the money I'd love to have one of each of every rifle there is. Truth is I've owned a lot of guns in my life and the AR has absolutely been the most fun gun I've owned. I won't be getting bored with it anytime soon, so don't hold your breath, bro. It has made the "never sell" list.

My experience with my AR has been awesome. The FN 2000 looks interesting but I think I'd still prefer the AR platform for an all around plinker. You just can't beat the AR's aftermarket and parts availability. If I had the money I'd love to have one of each of every rifle there is. Truth is I've owned a lot of guns in my life and the AR has absolutely been the most fun gun I've owned. I won't be getting bored with it anytime soon, so don't hold your breath, bro. It has made the "never sell" list.
Damn.... I was hoping maybe you had allready moved on to something better....
smile.gif

Where and How you been man?

I'll be a proud rock river arms owner in several weeks (5 or so to be exact).  I decided on the Elite Car A4 (pictured).  I've added the quad rail and eotech dominator.  I've already ordered (3) mags from rock river and a lula mag loader.  All I need now is the ammo....and oh yeah the ar!

<!--EDIT|BigDawg_03Busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151685180 -->

elite_car.gif

Yeah, I am thinking EOTech though, Similar to Bulletrain really...  From a Price perspective it's the way to go for a plinker.  

I want an ACOG but unless Unky Sam is footing the bill I don't need one $1200 bad...

Chris's M4
IMG_0334.jpg
Sweet pic, bullet has very good taste.  I talked long and hard w/ BT before deciding on my choice.  He spoke very highly of rock river arms and I took his advice very seriously.  If ya got questions about the ar, he's the man.  Oh yeah Rev, if you haven't already check out www.ar15.com, it's the h.org of the gun world. Very professional with expert assistance.  They're very helpful with any questions you may have.  Happy hunting and post pics as soon as you decide & I'll do the same when mine arrives.

<!--EDIT|BigDawg_03Busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151685507 -->

Yeah I am probably going to go with an AR15, and I might go ahead and get a Colt, or a Les Bear. I know I said accuracy isn't everything, but quality does matter to me...

Though I have heard good things about Bushy's and Rock Rivers too....

I am wondering about DPMS... Anyone deal with them ever?

1. you must be old.
laugh.gif
  You say that like it's a bad thing...  

2. if i'm carrying that much lumber?..i damn sure ain't gonna rely on or limit the rifles potential to open sights.[/QUOTE]

You're not going to rely on iron sights??  Where the hell did that come from...  Did you really think about that one before you wrote it??  Come on Gyrene...

In any case, if you prefer glass you're not alone.  In fact, you're with some pretty fine company - BUT - remember the Rules:  The more to go wrong, will  (bearing in mind that a Grunt is defined as a soldier who, if you gave him two 3" steel ball bearings, would, within a few hours, break one and lose the other).

This is unless you spend the money on a true gem like an S&B or a USO - something you could dismount and use to drive the pegs for your shelter half...  

But for the most part - and for the majority of real world civvie usage - an open sight M1a(1) is more than adequate.  For long range work I also prefer glass, but only for the magnification because my eyes aren't what they used to be.  But, realistically, how many folks even reach out past 700yds?  No feather in my cap, but I can ring a 30"x36" gong regularly at 700yds with open sights.  The greatest limiting factor isn't magnification, it's wind and mirage.  

So how do you suppose the lack of glass is limiting the rifle's potential??

3. the most frightening man on the battlefield might load 5 but he fires just 1 and runs.[/QUOTE]

Actually, they fire 1, observe, then wait for more designated targets or targets of opportunity.  The opposition will be glassing the area something fierce so if you run you've lost your advantage...

...check with the pro's over at snipersparadise.com...or arfcom...ask them about .308 performance from 16" barrels...look at the chrono's...then look at the cost of .308 ammo.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agreed - from a 16" tube a 7.62 is going to drop some velocity.  Significant?  Not really.  Would I recommend a 16 incher for long work?  No, but it'll work just fine out to 500m or so.

And since it'll work fine to 500m, anything inside that circle is GTG.

Lastly, I don't know what rounds you're thinking of (FGM?) but when available cases of surplus 7.62 aren't that much more than 5.56.  The last case I picked up was Aussie surplus for around $140 IIRC.  Good stuff...

<!--EDIT|Aughtsix
Reason for Edit: "keep screwing up the quote feature..."|1151715786 -->

Anyway A6 ya Bastid you got me thinking again...  The local shop has 2 National Match M1A1s plus the SOCOM... We'll see...

I'm still leaning towards an AR though, just for "Fun".
He he he...
biggrin.gif

Ah, those NMs are pure sugar. So sweet they'll make your teeth hurt...

But if do decide to go with an AR it sounds like you're on the road to getting a good one.

Oh, and DPMS is good stuff (at least their 7.62s are). Don't write 'em off.

4. socom and such entities have been historically noted for outside the box blunders...and the extra special special forces types will always follow chain of command wishes..brainwashed into believing that the special things they're issued are in fact...well?..."special"...which are often times pipe dreams...that age into nightmarish memories for those who manage to survive such.

Dude, I smell envy?  I smell resent?  I dunno man; your statement makes no sense.  What I saw at SOCOM was equipment and weapon requirements coming directly from the units.  The operator drives the requirement, not the other way around.  The procurement process has been streamlined and individuals have a lot more freedom selecting what works for them also.  

So sounds to me like you're confused, resentful, or just misinformed...  You sound like a pissed off Leg.  If the SOCOM 16's ballistics are horrible then no one takes it into the field,  simple as that.  Don't believe everything you read on the internet.   The 16 has a job it's designed for and it's within a few hundred yards...

Brainwashed and SOF...  Man...  I dunno Jink, all the sudden you quit making sense...[/QUOTE]
envy?...resentment?...LOL!!!

Rev...I speak from watching literally hundreds....maybe thousands of mans men stepping into the hotbox with utter and complete disillusion of what their personal perfomance and skillz might be with their personal rifles of choice...men who chant "oh recoil ain't nuth'in to me...where i come from even candy azzs shot .50bmgs without a wimper"..well?..maybe so...but then the eye opener comes..as they watch guys such as myself fire off 45 rounds in a little over 30 seconds from several shooting positions and stations spaced 10-15 yards apart where you change mags on the run....then i turn and smile at the guy proudly grunting an M1A and say...okay sport...your turn...and that's when the comedy show starts. LOL!!!...envy?...resentment?...nah...more like first hand experience and knowledge....decades of it.

In did see one dedicated M1A guy out there who completely sacraficed himself...I literally gave him a standing ovation as he did real well...for an M1A in a tactical course..targets ranging from 15 too 100yds...realistic urban/jungle tactical distances...but even his time was nearly twice that of the slowest AR competitor...that day..and the next time I saw him at a match he exhaulted just how bad of a beating he took to post that time and score..shoulder bruiser for a week.....and it's only when you see great shooters compete back to back with rifles such as these that you clearly see the strengths and weaknesses of each...first hand...and...no envy or resentment here...just me...trying to help you by sharing my experience.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

1. you must be old.
laugh.gif
  You say that like it's a bad thing...  

2. if i'm carrying that much lumber?..i damn sure ain't gonna rely on or limit the rifles potential to open sights.

You're not going to rely on iron sights??  Where the hell did that come from...  Did you really think about that one before you wrote it??  Come on Gyrene...

In any case, if you prefer glass you're not alone.  In fact, you're with some pretty fine company - BUT - remember the Rules:  The more to go wrong, will  (bearing in mind that a Grunt is defined as a soldier who, if you gave him two 3" steel ball bearings, would, within a few hours, break one and lose the other).

This is unless you spend the money on a true gem like an S&B or a USO - something you could dismount and use to drive the pegs for your shelter half...  

But for the most part - and for the majority of real world civvie usage - an open sight M1a(1) is more than adequate.  For long range work I also prefer glass, but only for the magnification because my eyes aren't what they used to be.  But, realistically, how many folks even reach out past 700yds?  No feather in my cap, but I can ring a 30"x36" gong regularly at 700yds with open sights.  The greatest limiting factor isn't magnification, it's wind and mirage.  

So how do you suppose the lack of glass is limiting the rifle's potential??

3. the most frightening man on the battlefield might load 5 but he fires just 1 and runs.[/QUOTE]

Actually, they fire 1, observe, then wait for more designated targets or targets of opportunity.  The opposition will be glassing the area something fierce so if you run you've lost your advantage...

...check with the pro's over at snipersparadise.com...or arfcom...ask them about .308 performance from 16" barrels...look at the chrono's...then look at the cost of .308 ammo.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agreed - from a 16" tube a 7.62 is going to drop some velocity.  Significant?  Not really.  Would I recommend a 16 incher for long work?  No, but it'll work just fine out to 500m or so.

And since it'll work fine to 500m, anything inside that circle is GTG.

Lastly, I don't know what rounds you're thinking of (FGM?) but when available cases of surplus 7.62 aren't that much more than 5.56.  The last case I picked up was Aussie surplus for around $140 IIRC.  Good stuff...[/QUOTE]
LOL!...A6...it's all good man...I know you like to screw with me with contrary stances and such so?....turnabout?..it's fair play.
biggrin.gif

That said?...I also agree with you on many issues...including the iron sights being a necessary evil for those of us who are rough enough and tough enough to screw up a steel ball
laugh.gif
as if you'll take notice?...my AR M4gery is an A2 version...solid carry handle upper w/ A2 iron sights...and that A.C.O.G. is quick release...it's also fixed 3.5X w/ a 3moa Red-Dot w/ Dual illumination (Tritium/Night:Filiment/Day) and sports B.A.C. which is "Bindon Aiming Concept"...completely parallex free..to the point that you're actually encouraged to shoot with both eyes open...with no change of POI...and it's an awesome thing...tactically speaking of course. LOL!
biggrin.gif

Also...I still have a bunch of indian .308 annnnd...about 200rds of FGM...thinking I might pick up a savage LE10 bolt rifle one of these days...the guys are loving those adjustable accu-triggers from savage...lotta rifle for the $$$.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

Damn.... I was hoping maybe you had allready moved on to something better....
smile.gif

Where and How you been man?
Changed jobs and have been VERY busy with school and on job training. I don't even have the time or energy to sign on until my off days roll around. Pouring everything I have into getting started in the new position/division. Once I get in the swing of things I'll be around more, hopefully.
wink.gif

And before anyone has to ask... I transferred from Patrol to a supervision position in the Detention Center. Got a few promising opportunities on the not so distant horizon and an even better long term goal type opportunity that I likely wouldn't have had on Patrol. I was severely burned out with what I had anyway so my stress level actually dropped tremendously after the transfer even though I was going into a job I wasn't as familiar with as what I had before. It was definitely time for a change.

Now, back to the topic at hand. Hope this wasn't too much of a hijack...

4. socom and such entities have been historically noted for outside the box blunders...and the extra special special forces types will always follow chain of command wishes..brainwashed into believing that the special things they're issued are in fact...well?..."special"...which are often times pipe dreams...that age into nightmarish memories for those who manage to survive such.

Dude, I smell envy? I smell resent? I dunno man; your statement makes no sense. What I saw at SOCOM was equipment and weapon requirements coming directly from the units. The operator drives the requirement, not the other way around. The procurement process has been streamlined and individuals have a lot more freedom selecting what works for them also.

So sounds to me like you're confused, resentful, or just misinformed... You sound like a pissed off Leg. If the SOCOM 16's ballistics are horrible then no one takes it into the field, simple as that. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. The 16 has a job it's designed for and it's within a few hundred yards...

Brainwashed and SOF... Man... I dunno Jink, all the sudden you quit making sense...
envy?...resentment?...LOL!!!

Rev...I speak from watching literally hundreds....maybe thousands of mans men stepping into the hotbox with utter and complete disillusion of what their personal perfomance and skillz might be with their personal rifles of choice...men who chant "oh recoil ain't nuth'in to me...where i come from even candy azzs shot .50bmgs without a wimper"..well?..maybe so...but then the eye opener comes..as they watch guys such as myself fire off 45 rounds in a little over 30 seconds from several shooting positions and stations spaced 10-15 yards apart where you change mags on the run....then i turn and smile at the guy proudly grunting an M1A and say...okay sport...your turn...and that's when the comedy show starts. LOL!!!...envy?...resentment?...nah...more like first hand experience and knowledge....decades of it.

In did see one dedicated M1A guy out there who completely sacraficed himself...I literally gave him a standing ovation as he did real well...for an M1A in a tactical course..targets ranging from 15 too 100yds...realistic urban/jungle tactical distances...but even his time was nearly twice that of the slowest AR competitor...that day..and the next time I saw him at a match he exhaulted just how bad of a beating he took to post that time and score..shoulder bruiser for a week.....and it's only when you see great shooters compete back to back with rifles such as these that you clearly see the strengths and weaknesses of each...first hand...and...no envy or resentment here...just me...trying to help you by sharing my experience.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
[/QUOTE]
Not the first time I get all wrapped up, not the last.

From Handling Both the M4 and the M1A1 I can see where running jumping climbing trees is going to be more difficult with the M1A1. The extra 4-5Lbs of rifle makes itself known and I am sure there are some delicate little ladies out there that would complain...

Kidding Kidding, Yeah I am one of those delicate little ladies. Anyway, I am prolly going to work the "BOTH" angle here. I will probably buy an AR15 variant this time round, then enter a couple of shooting competitions so I can get my CMP Garand in 30.06. Then from there I'll prolly do the M1A1...

So for now it will be an AR variant with an EOtech or Maybe MAYBE an ACOG, $$$ provided.

I do appreciate all the input from you guys who have spent A lot of time behind the trigger, it helps. Even when getting both sides of the coin at the same time.
thumbs-up.gif

I've been on vacation and am just catching up.

Rev, go with the AR. Great overall choice. Nothing special over 250 meters, so just don't set your pumpkins that far out.
smile.gif
You can't beat the options available.

I also love my AR10, but as Jinks illustrated, heavy guns aren't "fast" on the move.

Someone cautioned about overpenetration with the .223 round. Well, there have been numerous studies as of late that tend to contradict that line of thought.

BTW 1+ what Jinks said.

Chris

Or you could go with something like this.  
smile.gif

This was what I ordered back in March.  Just came in yesterday.  I had a chance to pop off a few rounds today and let me say, WOW.  It's almost a viceral, sensual feeling just firing that thing.  The recoil is more of a push than a punch (with the puss pad).  Much milder than a 12 gage slug.

my50bmg__2_.jpg

Check out what it did to my deck. On the second shot I had the recoil brake just forward of my deck rails. The muzzle blast shredded a 2 of them. Like I said, WOW.

Chris

railing_damage__2_.jpg

Check out what it did to my deck. On the second shot I had the recoil brake just forward of my deck rails. The muzzle blast shredded a 2 of them. Like I said, WOW.

Chris
ROTFL,

Dude I am so Jealous right now... The One thing I've ALLWAYS wanted to be able to do, is shoot of my rear deck... I'd Love to have the land and location enough to be able to set up a simple 25, 100, 300 range just off the back porch. Hell I'd have pop-ups and target runner. *Sigh*

If I shoot off the back porch now I would carve a line through someones kitchen...

Anyway, regarding the Muzzleblast from the .50 I had to laugh. First time we went out with the Robar we set up a wool blanket to keep the dust down and I was behind and to the left of the shooter about 7 feet. The Blast rolled the blanket up into a little ball and blew my hat off... Was pretty damn funny.

Thanks for the Input man. I appreciate it.

Someone cautioned about overpenetration with the .223 round. Well, there have been numerous studies as of late that tend to contradict that line of thought.

Chris
Yep, according to some data we were given in Patrol Rifle school not long ago our .40 issue ammo supposedly penetrates more than the 55gr .223 round we use...

Or you could go with something like this.
smile.gif

This was what I ordered back in March. Just came in yesterday. I had a chance to pop off a few rounds today and let me say, WOW. It's almost a viceral, sensual feeling just firing that thing. The recoil is more of a push than a punch (with the puss pad). Much milder than a 12 gage slug.
Ahh man!!! I wanna shoot it!!!!!
drooling3.gif

Back