Hey bullet and the rest of ya weapons geeks...

Revlis

Re-Recycled, Busa-Less...
Donating Member
Registered
OK Bro, I got a Question for ya.

I'm just about ready to "Pull The Trigger"
guns.gif
and here is my dilema...

Which to go with? Keep in mind I am not an Operator, I am not a Hunter, Not into serious Target shooting, (Though Qualified Expert with the A2 and M9 while active) and I am fairly confident in the stability of our Government and Society...

So this weapon would be largely for Fun, killing pumpkins, target shooting (fun), and yeah I suppose home defense if the .357's , the SIG, and the 12 Guage doesn't get the problem resolved.

Some AR15 Variant prolly M4 A3, Love em' I've shot a few and carried a few, fine weapon....
bcwa3f16.jpg

M1A1 SOCOM, 20 rnds of .308, Springfield accuracy and a 16" barrel? What's not to Love?
SOCOM16.jpg

FN F2000... Yeah hadn't been paying attention and FN has some new Hotness out...
FNH_CB_FS2000_Right.jpg

I was all set with the AR but now I am not so certain. Each would be fitted with an EOTech, and prolly some other widgets and sh!d on the rails...

The FN is rated to 90K rounds... Yep 90K round expected service life and is truly unique. I am kinda Pumped about it BUT it's $2k. I picked it up and and the balance and pointability is amazing, not to mention a unique ejection system and FN legendary reliability and engineering... I'm sorta intrigued...

FN2000 at Impact Guns....

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151636564 -->

Rev,go with some variant of the M-16,personally,the M-4 with the SOPMOD package is my favorite,Ammo is cheap,and parts are available everywhere.The FN is nice,but you'll be stuck with buying parts from FN,they are in South Carolina and one of the finest Marines that ever taught the Scout Sniper Course works for them,so they have some good support.,But I think you'll be happy with your plinking using a M-16 of some sort.NJ.:;):

This one with a Trijicon ELCAN or ACOG sight will keep you "Entertained" for years to come,not the NV scope that is pictured here....

<!--EDIT|nitrousjunkie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151532024 -->

m4a1an_pws4.jpg

Rev,go with some variant of the M-16,personally,the M-4 with the SOPMOD package is my favorite,Ammo is cheap,and parts are available everywhere.The FN is nice,but you'll be stuck with buying parts from FN,they are in South Carolina and one of the finest Marines that ever taught the Scout Sniper Course works for them,so they have some good support.,But I think you'll be happy with your plinking using a M-16 of some sort.NJ.:;):
Yeah I that's what I have been aiming at for awhile, I was just holding out until the AWB Sunset...

But the FN 2000 has 30 something years on the AR in terms of engineering and design.

Also the FN uses AR Magazines, and obviously is 5.56 as well.

What's holding me back is the AR's popularity and the HUGE aftermarket. I mean you are right, something happens to the FN and Yeah, I am dealing with FN directly. No aftermarket out there yet... and I can build the hell out of an M4 for a lot less than $2k. I am just captivated by the handling and feel of the FN...

So yeah, you have a point. Any opinion on the SOCOM M1A1, .308 is awefully hard to argue with...

Has anyone spent a lot of time with an M1A1?

Yeah, I am thinking EOTech though, Similar to Bulletrain really... From a Price perspective it's the way to go for a plinker.

I want an ACOG but unless Unky Sam is footing the bill I don't need one $1200 bad...

Chris's M4
IMG_0334.jpg

Maybe I should just wait for Bullet to get bored with his latest creation and buy it from him so he go on to build something else....

It's a trend I've noticed... he'll perfect the formula and buy another in a few weeks... then I'll snatch his up.

Well it is a small cal., but accurate. Probably not the best for home defense, since it is a smaller round and if you miss your target you could possibly kill your neighbor or someone in the next room. Not good! You can't loose with buckshot or hallow points. I'm not in the field out here thankfully, so no personal experiance with the stopping power.

hey rev..here's mine....

Bushy Patrolmans Carbine w/ ACOG TA-11

ACOG1.jpg

pistols.jpg

top:Custom Para P-14 middle:Taurus CH85 w/ saf-t-loc and trapper spring kit bottom: G19 w/ Advanced Weaponry NS

Note: I built the P-14...only things left from stock are the frame, barrel, slide and grip panels...the rest is Ed Brown, Chip McCormick, Charlie Prest, Wilson and Kings.

and besides being an avid hunter and former US Marine?....i usta compete in USPSA/IPSC tactical competitions....

trophy.jpg

go with an AR varient...way more mods ='s way more fun..annnd..."versatility"

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I have an M4 style Bushmaster and its a good weapon - actually its the wife's gun.
Its been dependable and is cheap to shoot and carry. I have used it on the job to keep evil spirits away and it works ok for that too.

The Springfield variant you have posted is a good idea, they are pricey but are a FAR better, shot for shot weapon than any black rifle - anything a .223 will do a .308 will do better!

I have an M4 style Bushmaster and its a good weapon -  actually its the wife's gun.
Its been dependable and is cheap to shoot and carry. I have used it on the job to keep evil spirits away and it works ok for that too.

The Springfield variant you have posted is a good idea, they are pricey but are a FAR better, shot for shot weapon than any black rifle - anything a .223 will do a .308 will do better!
wrong.

I've got the Bushmaster M3 and absolutly love it.  It's accurate, I can attach a scope if I want to, and it's also extremely reliable.  I'll have to take some pics and share them with you.  
On a side note...It's great to see other bike/gun enthusiasts out there, what a great .org!!! (I think I may have to get some of those balls...)

<!--EDIT|BoiseBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151549984 -->

I have an M4 style Bushmaster and its a good weapon - actually its the wife's gun.

wrong.
Why "Wrong" Jink? I was kinda thinking that I might look into an Armalite AR10 in .308. So I would be interested in hearing why you believe 5.56 is superior to 7.62X51/.308. Other than the ability to carry more 5.56 for a given weight, and 5.56 costing less, I am not aware of any ballistic or functional benefit to 5.56 VS 7.62X51.

The SEALS live and die by the M1A1 and it's 7.62 round. Out to 1000 yards or so it's functional, and it hits much harder than 5.56 in close. There are also elements at SOCOM that swear by 7.62 and the M1A1s ability to reach out and touch someone/something.

So I am curious. The 5.56 was developed for a close range environment, I.E. Jungle, Out to about 300 yrds or so, it's a compromise between Firepower and Stopping power, as are the other assault rifle calibers.

Or Something like that.... I read something somewhere....

I've got the Bushmaster M3 and absolutly love it. It's accurate, I can attach a scope if I want to, and it's also extremely reliable. I'll have to take some pics and share them with you.
On a side note...It's great to see other bike/gun enthusiasts out there, what a great .org!!! (I think I may have to get some of those balls...)
The Bushmaster A3 is what I am looking at. Maybe Rock River Arms or even Les Bear customs if I decide to spend a little money...

Oh and Welcome to the Board...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151556575 -->

Rev - Of those three the versatility award easily goes to the AR15 variant, but you knew that.

Problem with them is they're a limited platform.

It also depends on whether or not you're a rich man or a poor man. A rich man can afford to buy poorly - a poor man can't. Gotta get it right the first time.

Has anyone spent a lot of time with an M1A1?[/QUOTE]

Considerable.

The M1a1 is a sweetie, but they're also a bit limited. And I don't know anyone who can make hay at 1k with one. If you're very, very good and stay within 500m, GTG. But much past that and you may as well call in a mortar team...

I've never actually graphed it, but my guess is an M1a1 with standard 147s goes subsonic somewhere this side of 800m and when the sound wave smacks the bullet in the ass it's all over but the cry'n.

I think you'd be well served looking into a AR10 or variant thereof, and if you want a smaller caliber (.243 or .260 for instance) you can buy a second upper.

Then again there is the 6.8...
cool.gif

I'll jump in since I have quite a few weapons. The AR is going to be the best all around gun. Plenty of mods to be had if thats your thing. Also the Vector arms AK-47 is probably the best bang for your buck. A high quality AK is hard to beat. I train often and keep my weapons simple and functional. What you need to concentrate on is practice and training. All these guys that have 9lb ar's but don't know how to use them in a training or real situation are kinda silly. The benifits of the AR is plenty of parts, pretty cheap to shoot and is an accurate rifle. For half the cost you can get a quality AK that shoots cheap and does lots of damage.

What ever weapon you decide on keep it simple and train often. I recenty took a 2 day carbine class and it was money well spent. Spend your extra money on mags, ammo, classes and gear.

True regaring the yardage, especially with a 16" barrel I would suppose... I dunno.

I don't think I can go wrong with an AR15 M4 with the A3 reciever. Give me lots of flexibility, and I do like the 5.56. Then Maybe I'll follow it up with the poor mans M1A1, The FNFAL... Maybe have a buddy build me one.

These are for fun, for practice, for killing Pumpkins. The M4 does have some sentimental value and it's somethign that I am fairly familiar with.

I just hesitate because the M1A1 is just such a sweet rifle... But, I can pick it up later if I want...

I am certainly not a rich man, but I can be a patient man and nothing says I cannot have an M1A1... Hell and an M1 Garand too. I have to find a local shooting event so I can get in on the CMP and get myself a M1. Been watching band of brothers on DVD and I want to here that "TING" first hand.

Anyway A6 I value your opinion and I appreciate it. I've been reading about the 6.8 from Stag arms and if I was needing something for serious reasons that would probably be my choice. As it is I am about 90% sold on 5.56, ammo is cheap and plentiful and that's a real bonus. I also found an indoor rang neer my house so I will probably be shooting A LOT.

Have a good one man.

Rev

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151560109 -->

I'll jump in since I have quite a few weapons. The AR is going to be the best all around gun. Plenty of mods to be had if thats your thing. Also the Vector arms AK-47 is probably the best bang for your buck. A high quality AK is hard to beat. I train often and keep my weapons simple and functional. What you need to concentrate on is practice and training. All these guys that have 9lb ar's but don't know how to use them in a training or real situation are kinda silly. The benifits of the AR is plenty of parts, pretty cheap to shoot and is an accurate rifle. For half the cost you can get a quality AK that shoots cheap and does lots of damage.

What ever weapon you decide on keep it simple and train often. I recenty took a 2 day carbine class and it was money well spent. Spend your extra money on mags, ammo, classes and gear.
Yeah the AR15 is an american Icon I suppose and it makes sense to have one at least, and from a price standpoint a Bushmaster M4 A3 is going for about $900 down the road, and that does leave a lot of extra $$$ for an EOTECH, Extra Mags, and such.

I'm also going to buy the wife a Walther P22 for her very own. She doesn't know it yet but it should fit her hand perfectly...
thumbs-up.gif

But that damn M1A1 SOCOM still Haunts me... I can here it right now...but I don't have to worry about absolute stopping power really, I am looking for a "Sports" Rifle if you will... An M4 should fit the bill.

Thanks folks...

Back