Hey bullet and the rest of ya weapons geeks...

trust me..."bigger"...isn't always...."better"
laugh.gif
Unless you talking about HP/torque.
biggrin.gif

I've fired the AR-15 M1, and M2 (5.56/.223) as a service weapon. I've also fired the M60 (7.62/.308). Both are great rounds, when you use them for the right purpose.

The .223 is a great round from 100 to 600M. The .308 is a great round from 400 to 1200M (with a stable platform). They duty range for these two rounds has an overlap, but they don't perform the same in that overlap area. The .223 starts loosing it's accuracy just over 400M. The .308 is the most stable around the 600M distance. The .223 is desinged for close to medium range combat, and the .308 is designed for medium to long range. They are not apples to apples, so please don't compare them that way.

Rev...If you want a fun plinking gun, with more range than you probably will ever use, go with the .223. It will do everything you'll be able to get away with in the Puget Sound area. I have yet to find a range west of the Cascades that will test the limit of the .300 Win Mag.

If you have the urge to shoot longer range, contact me and I'll let you borrow my FP10T .300 Win Mag. It's slow, heavy, and dead accurate for many meters. I used it at a 1000M range last summer. It was nice, just not as nice as an M1 Grande that I tried while there.

Myself, I'm partial to the FN. It just looks down right sweet! The AR will be easier to get parts for, but the FN may be more enjoyable to fire (shooter's preferrence).

Anywho. Go find a place that you can shoot both, and let your body tell you the best match. You can't go wrong with that.

Doug
I dunno... I mean I have allways wanted a personal AR15. It's been something I've wanted since first qualifying with em'. I love the handling the shootability and the accuracy.

The FN2000 sure felt like a perfect fit. I mean it just snuggle right up and packs everything into a package about 3" shorter than a collapsed M4. That's not a HUGE concern but it would be nice to be able to ride with it slung across the back... (People would likely be more polite).
smile.gif
Seriously though, the FN 2000 is all about cool factor and Unique. I mean it looks rad, has an expected service life of about 90K rounds and fits like it was made for me.

BUT and I mean BIG Butt... It's unique look and features are also a drawback. There is no real after market for it, if (when) something did go wrong I'd be looking to the FN factory for service, and lastly $2k... No That's not crazy if I were after the FN 2000 with intent and that was THE ONE.

But, $2000 will buy me a nice M4, an EOTech Sight, plus some extras, <span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>and the Kimber "Desert Warrior".</span>

004_39_LG.jpg

Hrmm, sounds like killing two birds with one stone. I get a sweet Kimber Pistol and a Shiney New AR?
rock.gif
smile.gif
Win WIN Me thinks.

smile.gif

But, $2000 will buy me a nice M4, an EOTech Sight, plus some extras, <span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>and the Kimber "Desert Warrior".</span>

004_39_LG.jpg

Hrmm, sounds like killing two birds with one stone.  I get a sweet Kimber Pistol and a Shiney New AR?
rock.gif

smile.gif
 Win WIN Me thinks.
NOooooowwWW yer talk'in!
biggrin.gif

I already have a Walther P99 .40 S&W, and an IMI Desert Eagle .50 AE. I already have two very good sidearms, but I could use one to fill the gap from the .50AE and the .300 Win Mag. I like the AR, but I'm still leaning toward the FN2000 for the uniqueness. Maybe I'll save up and get both the FN2000 and the AR!
biggrin.gif
After I get new tires for the Vette.
sad.gif

004_39_LG.jpg

Hrmm, sounds like killing two birds with one stone. I get a sweet Kimber Pistol and a Shiney New AR?
rock.gif
smile.gif
Win WIN Me thinks.
NOooooowwWW yer talk'in!
biggrin.gif
Yeah My bro Picked up a real nice Kimber .45 awhile back and has been raving about it ever since. I've always been a fan of 9mil easy accuracy and ability to stay on target, but the Kimbers have a real nice feel to em' and I know that .45 is more effective in a defensive role round for round. I tell you though I do cling tightly to my SIG226, for me it's the most natural, most accurate pistol I've had.

One of the things I liked about the Kimber was the .22 conversion supplied by Kimber, what a great way to develop your skills and familiarity without spending a ton of money.

004_39_LG.jpg

Hrmm, sounds like killing two birds with one stone.  I get a sweet Kimber Pistol and a Shiney New AR?
rock.gif

smile.gif
 Win WIN Me thinks.
NOooooowwWW yer talk'in!
biggrin.gif
Yeah My bro Picked up a real nice Kimber .45 awhile back and has been raving about it ever since.  I've always been a fan of 9mil easy accuracy and ability to stay on target, but the Kimbers have a real nice feel to em' and I know that .45 is more effective in a defensive role round for round.  I tell you though I do cling tightly to my SIG226, for me it's the most natural, most accurate pistol I've had.  

One of the things I liked about the Kimber was the .22 conversion supplied by Kimber, what a great way to develop your skills and familiarity without spending a ton of money.
good....now here's a couple info links for you rev concerning...

The .223/5.56X45 VS .308/7.62X51 ammo performance...

http://www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm#762

and here's the main link for everything you'd ever wanna know about 5.56X45/.223 ballistics and performance...

http://www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Damn Lots of reading there... yeah some of the input is straight from the "Tin-Foil hat" crowd, recommending "5-6 20round magazines loaded at all times for home defense." But for the most part, great links and I appreciate the information with a sense of humor and without all the hollywood BS.
thumbs-up.gif

Damn Lots of reading there...  yeah some of the input is straight from the "Tin-Foil hat" crowd, recommending "5-6 20round magazines loaded at all times for home defense."  But for the most part, great links and I appreciate the information with a sense of humor and without all the hollywood BS.  
thumbs-up.gif
whelp?..sign me up and write me off as part of the "tin foil hat crowd" LOL!!! as i live the "be prepared" thing..remember?...and cool rifles w/ MT mags ain't worth a dogs azz...also remember...that someday?...the "rose colored sunglasses crew" might be happy as he11 we have a "tin foil hat crowd" here in this great nation!
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill
cool.gif

Damn Lots of reading there... yeah some of the input is straight from the "Tin-Foil hat" crowd, recommending "5-6 20round magazines loaded at all times for home defense." But for the most part, great links and I appreciate the information with a sense of humor and without all the hollywood BS.
thumbs-up.gif
whelp?..sign me up and write me off as part of the "tin foil hat crowd" LOL!!! as i live the "be prepared" thing..remember?...and cool rifles w/ MT mags ain't worth a dogs azz...also remember...that someday?...the "rose colored sunglasses crew" might be happy as he11 we have a "tin foil hat crowd" here in this great nation!
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill
cool.gif
It's the implication that just cracks me up. 5-6 20rnd mags, ready to go? I mean just what kind of late night break in are they expecting? Or are they just really bad shots? This is what I mean. It's like Guns&Ammo recommending a "Roll-Out" kit hfor home defense with a Bullet resistant vest, tactical flashlights, mobile phones, yadda yadda.... Just so much overkill for home defense. If there is a major interuption in civil services, IE Hurricane etc, then it almost starts making sense. But beyond that the language so many writers and pro-gun folks use does come across as Foil hat wearing "Big-Brother" paranoia. It's messed up.

These "experts" have home owners ready to roll out in fatigues wearing body Armor with their Weapon, Side-arm, and backup. Clearing their house like they know what the hell they are doing. It's comical in a sense, the FEAR that so many gun owners seem to live with, so many of these folks are ready for that "off the Grid" cabin in the woods that it's kind of funny.

I guess it's extremism really, on one side we have idiots who believe that local law enforcement is willing and able to actually "Protect", completely ignoring the fact that the Police show up after a crime has been commited, you know "Law Enforcement" NOT Crime prevention...

But then on the other extreme we have the "Gun Nuts". The folks writing books about being "READY" for the collapse, how we need "SAFE ROOMS" and how the "Government is going to come after ya so you need that high capacity magazine", Blah Blah Blah... You know what I mean I bet. The Weekend warrior, the guy whos been to a couple "shooting Camps" and is now a certified sniper... Folks that have been victimized by the campaign of fear, they bought it hook line and sinker, and thought that gun ownership means not having to be afraid only to learn that they are still scared.

Somewhere in the middle live most of us. Weapons for home defense, but not living in fear 24-7. Enthusiasts, not Foil hat wearers...
thumbs-up.gif

I'm all for being ready, it's just that there is a balance between between "ready and able" and "Loopy and Strange".
smile.gif

I'm not lumping you in there, I'm not pointing fingers hell my Dad is a definite Foil hat wearer I think, but I'm just saying...

Anyway I'm rambling

thumbs-up.gif

Well I am trying to keep it on the down low cause it isn't here yet...
mad.gif

I actually sorta Crawfished on this one and went back to the beginning in a sense. I'll post up when it arrives or when I get tired of waiting.
thumbs-up.gif

Actually You know what I am getting tired of waiting....

I got the FN FS2000...

I wasn't planning on it, I just thought it was interesting. BUT, FN Hosted an open house just up the street from me a a couple weeks after my initial post and I got to shoot the PS90 and the FS2000. Well, I was already pretty pumped up about the FS2000 just from a handling, balance, look and Feel POV. After putting 20 rnds through it??? I was in love... It's just a sweet shooting accurate weapon, I had to have one.

BUT, That lil' fugger is pricey, so I was draggin a little bit until the FN rep mentioned 10% off. Now 10% isn't much but it more than covers the taxes and it brought the bill down to a reasonable level. Well, a Level I would have reached soon enough with an AR and a bunch of (Anti-Zombie) additions.

So I ordered one up and have been waiting ever since. *Sigh* I suck at waiting...

NOW The Question is Optics? I will probably be going with Troy Industries BUIS as the stock Iron sights aren't really up to par, but then the question becomes, What Optic to use???

I've got 2500 rnds of Lake City M193 waiting, with no rifle to shoot it outta.
thumbs-up.gif

I'll be ready for them Zombies though no doubt.

I dunno whose FS2000 this is (TOP) but it's a good picture and it shows how compact this thing is. Front Ejection port is visible up by the muzzle. 17.5" barrel and it's still only 29" long. I'm going to have the barrel shortend by an inch and re-threaded for AR standard flash hiders, will probably have the stock dyed black, and Then Figure out whats next and start building my AR from a stripped lower.
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155049137 -->

411746_bigysmall.jpg

M1A1 is an awesome piece of equipment. Just a little bit of advice from your running mate.
biggrin.gif

Niiiiice.....
thumbs-up.gif

Just when I thought I had you figured out, bro...I was sure you were gonna lay hands on the AR.

The FN is pretty fuggin sweet, though...looks like it's gonna be hella fun to pump the rounds outta that one.
thumbs-up.gif

Looks like I owe you dinner.
biggrin.gif

thumbs-up.gif

Niiiiice.....
thumbs-up.gif

Just when I thought I had you figured out, bro...I was sure you were gonna lay hands on the AR.

The FN is pretty fuggin sweet, though...looks like it's gonna be hella fun to pump the rounds outta that one.
thumbs-up.gif

Looks like I owe you dinner.
biggrin.gif
Yeah Zen Sounds good... ya sure you don't wanna try the Rock-Paper-Scissors again?

thumbs-up.gif

Back