Busa VS R1

Duanne

Registered
Well here's my story, I'm a proud owner of a 2012 Busa with K&N air filter R-77 exhaust, a guy I work with is talking about getting a 2015 R1. He says he's going to smoke my ass on his new bike and I said to him if you think today is your lucky day, (oh, by the way, the guy is pushing 250-260 lbs), and I'm a scrawny 169 in my birthday suit, I told him you were hauling ass on that R1 when I blew by you........but we all know that R1 will never get the drop on the busa. So, just wondering what all your thoughts are on this subject.....:laugh:

lmao.... I sure hope ur gonna put some skin on that cause the R1's is pushing out a whopping 160 rwhp IF that. and with his weight thats like 130 rwhp. tell him $1000 or stop running his mouth.

I think it would come down to the riders of each. You weigh less but your bike weighs more. The new liter bikes are no joke. Did you get your bike remapped after you put on the aftermarket parts?

lmao.... I sure hope ur gonna put some skin on that cause the R1's is pushing out a whopping 160 rwhp IF that. and with his weight thats like 130 rwhp. tell him $1000 or stop running his mouth.

Watch out, that new R1 has titanium rods! :banana:

Is he getting the R1m edition?? That bike is no joke...:whistle: can't remember all the specs offhand but I think it was pushing 195HP and weighed in wet around 430lbs. Launch control, traction control, and quickshifter come with along with a bunch of other goodies. Don't know your skill level or his but I wouldn't be so quick 2 dismiss that bike. Especially based on the parameters of the race?? We talking 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, rolling start? A Lot of variables that may or may not playout in your favor......

Make sure when this battle goes down you Gopro it and post it up 4 us to see!! :thumbsup:

Is he getting the R1m edition?? That bike is no joke...:whistle: can't remember all the specs offhand but I think it was pushing 195HP and weighed in wet around 430lbs. Launch control, traction control, and quickshifter come with along with a bunch of other goodies. Don't know your skill level or his but I wouldn't be so quick 2 dismiss that bike. Especially based on the parameters of the race?? We talking 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, rolling start? A Lot of variables that may or may not playout in your favor......

Make sure when this battle goes down you Gopro it and post it up 4 us to see!! :thumbsup:
at $22k I highly doubt thats wat he's gettn but even if it is what he gettn thats still 180 hp to the wheels at best and at 255 lbs vs. his 170 lbs it really wudnt make a difference if its 1/8th, 1/4 or a roll from any speed. their weak! ask Frank at Powerhouse. he dyno's them turds all the time.

What do you think a Gen2 busa makes @ the wheels with a slip on exhaust? They make around the same HP only difference is the busa will make more torque. But as I mentioned previously I don't know who is the more skilled rider. So if they are racing from a dead stop the guy with the traction/launch control will not have 2 worry about nothing but hammering the throttle meanwhile on the busa you will have to use actual skill and control with both the clutch and throttle 2 produce the same result. There is an 85lb difference between rider weights but that's cancelled out on account of the R1 being over 100 lbs lighter than the busa.

That new R1m put out #'s close to the BMW and you seen that video of how fast that beamer pulled out in front of that busa initially. Yeah the Busa eventually over took it way down the road but depending on the distance of the agreed race he may not have time to over take him especially if it's from a dead stop and he can't launch it effectively.

It would depend on the kind/length of the race, and be realistic, on paper is one thing, but in the real world... it is just another.

best

-D

traction control doesn't mean he will launch better. it means he will spin less out of a corner which yes I'm sure is helpful when riding in circles for hours.

the busa is longer and makes FAR more torque. torque gets u moving horsepower keeps u moving. the busa has more of both. I wud assume they will do it from a roll but either way ur assuming that the 1% of riders out there will actually be riding the R1m. thats pretty unlikely and the chances are he will be on a regular R1 which is an absolute turd imo. but, ur right, rider skill can play a HUGE role in any race.

the R1m is a GP styled MC not a drag bike or a roll racing bike. so from a dig I really don't see any chance of the R1 winning and from a roll he wud have even less of a chance.

be curious to see the BMW up against the R1m but imo the R1m will be no match for the BMW. yamaha has been a joke for many years as far a fast street bike is concerned. its too bad they just don't offer the standard R1 with 200 hp. all I know is wen they get dynoed they are really weak in HP and even weaker in torque.

What do you think a Gen2 busa makes @ the wheels with a slip on exhaust? They make around the same HP only difference is the busa will make more torque. But as I mentioned previously I don't know who is the more skilled rider. So if they are racing from a dead stop the guy with the traction/launch control will not have 2 worry about nothing but hammering the throttle meanwhile on the busa you will have to use actual skill and control with both the clutch and throttle 2 produce the same result. There is an 85lb difference between rider weights but that's cancelled out on account of the R1 being over 100 lbs lighter than the busa.

That new R1m put out #'s close to the BMW and you seen that video of how fast that beamer pulled out in front of that busa initially. Yeah the Busa eventually over took it way down the road but depending on the distance of the agreed race he may not have time to over take him especially if it's from a dead stop and he can't launch it effectively.

how far? 1/4 to 1/2.ehhhhh he might but his weight compared to yours is like a boat anchor.. after that though he should be only able to read your license plate. lol...

We do roll racing every weekend during the summer here in NY (just for fun no $) and so far BMWH4 piped mapped and tuned will not touch a 14r with a pipe from a 2nd gear roll at 60 over a 1/2 mile , a zx10r is close to the 14r but still a loss , and than we get into our turbo/ NA bikes , Turbos win almost all the time vs anything unless something happens like your plenum pops off lol seen it happen more than once ! All the new bike make big HP numbers but way on top like 14,000 rpm

Yamaha claims "around 200" for HP on the new R1 (haven't seen any dyno numbers yet) and wet weight should be around 440. And with the rider aids it will be a huge leap over the previous R1. It could very well beat you...but probably not with his fat ass on it.

Yamaha claims "around 200" for HP on the new R1 (haven't seen any dyno numbers yet) and wet weight should be around 440. And with the rider aids it will be a huge leap over the previous R1. It could very well beat you...but probably not with his fat ass on it.

Easy now. Some of us "fat ass" guys still know how to ride.

The $16K "standard" 2015 R1 has 200hp and a wet weight of 442 lbs. It also has full throttle launch control stock. The way I see it your buddy has an advantage. My 2009 has 182hp at the rear wheel with Yoshi full exhaust, so you are probably down as much as 20 hp on a bike that weighs 100 lbs more. The new liter bikes will smoke a busa IMHO unless you are a much superior drag racer. If you want to rule the road you have to go turbo.

The $16K "standard" 2015 R1 has 200hp and a wet weight of 442 lbs. It also has full throttle launch control stock. The way I see it your buddy has an advantage. My 2009 has 182hp at the rear wheel with Yoshi full exhaust, so you are probably down as much as 20 hp on a bike that weighs 100 lbs more. The new liter bikes will smoke a busa IMHO unless you are a much superior drag racer. If you want to rule the road you have to go turbo.

Sorry FA, I have to call you on that. I have never seen any R1 make 182 rwhp. In fact, a stock "cross plane" R1 with a great tune and full pipe has trouble breaking 160. The most I have ever seen on a 2009 was 168rwhp - and that one had an unleashed ecu. When Yamaha went to the cross plane concept, they lost 10 or more horse. For them, it wasn't about rwhp, it was about power pulses to the rear wheel, and road racing. And in trying to mimic a V-twin, they did succeed in that respect. What was the torque on that 182 hp pull? If you indeed have the most powerful stock-engined R1, I would love to see you post the dyno chart!:whistle:

I said my Busa has 182 WHP, not a 2009 R1. According to MCN, the new R1 is competive with the BMW and Ducati all of which claim 200 WHP. I re-read my post and I can see how you thought I meant a 2009 R1. I have never owner an R1, only Suzukis for me!

BTW: Yes the crossplane crank was used to even out the power pulses to the rear wheel (mimic a V twin) but it also reduced the destructive forces inherent in an inline 4 crank. There are times when this configuration is actually working against itself. The crossplane reduces these forces so the engine winds up smoother and faster. The problem Yamaha had is that manufacturing technology made the crossplane difficult to make and much weaker than a normal crank. So the original crossplane R1 could not take advantage of the corssplane configuration (run at higher RPM). Apparently Yamaha has solved this issue and the new R1 sounds like a real screamer. Can't wait for the comparison between the R1, 1000RR, and the Ducati. Its funny because the inline 4 guys are trying to get their bikes to act like a V-twin and the V-twin guys are trying to get the V to act like an inline 4! Meanwhile the V4 already screams and has bottom end, so it is the natural best sportbike motor. I still was pissed when Suzuki abandoned the V4 GSV1000 for the inline 4 GP bike. I had dreams of a 1400 V4 Gen 3 Busa!

I said my Busa has 182 WHP, not a 2009 R1. According to MCN, the new R1 is competive with the BMW and Ducati all of which claim 200 WHP. I re-read my post and I can see how you thought I meant a 2009 R1. I have never owner an R1, only Suzukis for me!

BTW: Yes the crossplane crank was used to even out the power pulses to the rear wheel (mimic a V twin) but it also reduced the destructive forces inherent in an inline 4 crank. There are times when this configuration is actually working against itself. The crossplane reduces these forces so the engine winds up smoother and faster. The problem Yamaha had is that manufacturing technology made the crossplane difficult to make and much weaker than a normal crank. So the original crossplane R1 could not take advantage of the corssplane configuration (run at higher RPM). Apparently Yamaha has solved this issue and the new R1 sounds like a real screamer. Can't wait for the comparison between the R1, 1000RR, and the Ducati. Its funny because the inline 4 guys are trying to get their bikes to act like a V-twin and the V-twin guys are trying to get the V to act like an inline 4! Meanwhile the V4 already screams and has bottom end, so it is the natural best sportbike motor. I still was pissed when Suzuki abandoned the V4 GSV1000 for the inline 4 GP bike. I had dreams of a 1400 V4 Gen 3 Busa!

My bad! Sorry about that, I mis-read what you were saying. You know the BMW was supposed to be a bad-a** bike, I'm not too impressed with those, either. And having built late model R1 engines, I would expect their newest engine to be true to their heritage of making hand grenades! I am not surprised when someone calls me about a "noise" in their R1 engine that turns out to be a rod knock . . .

Well I don't really know about their reliability but I always sort of felt that the x-plane crank was not ready for prime time especially after they had so many of them blow up right off the bat. I think the Ti internals will work though.

Edit: I hear mixed things about the BMW. Some say it's the fastest thing ever others not. There was a stretched one at VIR once (was on display - not riding at VIR!) and apparently it was smoking everything according to the sponsors. I forgot who the sponsor was.

Back