2000 Yamaha R1 vs 2019 Hayabusa

r1ace2000

Registered
I own a 2000 Yamaha R1: It is stock with the exception of a slipon Yoshimura can. I also own a 2019 Hayabusa (500 miles on it) with Yoshimura slipons. The math says that the Hayabusa has more horsepower per pound than the R1. The R1 pulls noticeably harder (from a stop) than the Busa. The Hayabusa definitely pulls harder at 70 plus mph. Is this gearing, break-in, or something else? I was under the impression the Busa would take an R1 across the range.

I rode past one during a high speed run one day but we were already doing 150+ when I opened it up. I shifted into 6th as I passed. Mine only has 160whp. Of course there (could) be a difference in riders. :) When I stopped down the road so did he and the 600s that were chasing. He asked if I was doing 180 when I went by.

I own a 2000 Yamaha R1: It is stock with the exception of a slipon Yoshimura can. I also own a 2019 Hayabusa (500 miles on it) with Yoshimura slipons. The math says that the Hayabusa has more horsepower per pound than the R1. The R1 pulls noticeably harder (from a stop) than the Busa. The Hayabusa definitely pulls harder at 70 plus mph. Is this gearing, break-in, or something else? I was under the impression the Busa would take an R1 across the range.
You just have to learn to SAFELY twist the throttle on the busa like u do the r1. And make sure your not riding around in c mode :lol:. All seriousness tho shouldn't be no way that r1 should pull harder from a stop, are you sure your not just spinning the tire?

Not only does the Hayabusa have more hp but it has a lot more torque and that's what puts the pull on your arms...

But you have to remember the R1 is lighter and smaller so the feel of power is broadcasted differently...and the Hayabusa has a semi-slipper clutch.

When I'm out on the Busa, I always think I'm just bumbling along then I look down at the speedometer and think "holy crap, I'd better slow down"

Back