R1 vs. ZX10r vs. GSXR1000

I have just bought an '09 GSXR1000 - wicked. Suzuki makes the best motors on the planet. Yamaha always sounds like a sewing machine and Kawy, well lots and lots of issues with them.

Like I said I had a 954rr, and that was fun. good wheelies. Crude machine though.

and If Im gunna buy an 09 its gunna be that cross-plane R1 ahahah

Sadly that Porsche is gone, but I'll be in the market

Well I finally got a chance to ride both the 07 gsxr 1k ( a Friends) and the 09 Gsxr 1k (mine)! I didnt go out and run them hard due to road conditions, but took each one out on the same test loop and driving style.

2007 Gsxr 1k with 4600 miles. Slip-on, PCV, and -1 tooth up front.
2009 Gsxr 1k with 2000 miles. Full system, Afr tuner, and -1 up front.

The 09 1k is better in the seat to bar relationship. More comfortable, but not night and day better, but noticeable in all the right areas! You sit more into the bike then on top of it like the 07.The dash layout is much better in every way! Tach is larger, speedo indication is larger, and the font of the digital numbers is nice! The brakes are more positive too. The 09 feels smaller as well as looks smaller width wise. Its narrower in the tank and frame. Your knees are closer together. The engine is stronger it seems up top once on the move compared to the 07.

The 07 1k has a better head light pattern at night over the stock 09 pattern. The engine is slightly smoother and stronger from 3k-6k then the 09. Bore and srtoke being the cause. Longer stroke and smaller bore for the 07, and shorter stroke and larger bore for the 09. It seems smoother and a little more responsive. The 07 is easier to take apart then the 09 in some ways. Paint finish seems a little nicer too. A little thicker on the clear.

Both bikes are very nice, but I am happy with the one I have. But had I gotten the 07 first and never rode the 09. I would be very happy it too.

Last edited:
great write up warbird, ur right down to the tee on the stuff i wanna hear in a comparison test...:thumbsup:

I try to be fair and not opinionated when doing things like this! I went through this with buying the busa to the zx14 in 08. I also did this in 09 when I was looking at a new 1k. I buy by what feels right to me when I sit on a bike first, then performance, then looks.

Last year was a great example:

I sat on the 09 ZX10. Hated it. Seat was hard and its shape was wrong. Edge of it cut into my thigh. Didnt like the gauge layout. Then the turn signal on the mirrors from the seated position looked funny! It bothered me. Then the bike to me looked cross eyed!

I sat on the Honda CBR1000. Was happy with the ergos, but the seat was too hard and not comfortable like all honda seats from the 929-954-1000 cbr models. Dash was nice, but not wow wee in any way! All about function. It felt like a 600. Fit and finish very nice! But looks wise, it was ok!

I sat on the R1. Was like wow, it fits pretty nice. Dash was nice to look at too. Fit and finish was nice. The front end looked cross eyed too. A turn off. But the noise it makes... WOW! Sounds great!

I sat on the 09 Gsxr 1k. Was like wow, it fits pretty nice too! (like the R1) Dash looked great! Fit and finish not like the R1 or Honda. But o.k.! I sat on it and then the R1..... and Then on it again....and then the R1! The three things that did it for me in buying the Gsxr 1k over the R1 were: I was slightly more comfortable in the seat and bar on the Gsxr 1k to the R1. It looked better, and the power was better then R1's.....and didnt have the problem of roasting your rear like the R1 did too!

funny cuz i sat on everything too except the R1, just not that into yamahas, dont hate em, very nice bikes with very nice sounding motors, but just not me, and exaclty what u just wrote is what i thought about the cb, zx and gsxr....u had me laughing with the cross eyed thing, i noticed that about the cbr....to be honest, i like my 05 1k cbr better in style than the new ones....but then i walked by the busa, and walked back...said no way, not into bike bikes like that, then i walked back and sat on it...then i went home to sleep on which 1k i wanted, decided on the gsxr on the way back to the dealer....happen to walk by the busa again on the way in, and it was a wrap...she came home....:rofl:

funny cuz i sat on everything too except the R1, just not that into yamahas, dont hate em, very nice bikes with very nice sounding motors, but just not me, and exaclty what u just wrote is what i thought about the cb, zx and gsxr....u had me laughing with the cross eyed thing, i noticed that about the cbr....to be honest, i like my 05 1k cbr better in style than the new ones....but then i walked by the busa, and walked back...said no way, not into bike bikes like that, then i walked back and sat on it...then i went home to sleep on which 1k i wanted, decided on the gsxr on the way back to the dealer....happen to walk by the busa again on the way in, and it was a wrap...she came home....:rofl:

When I was looking at the Gen 2 in late 07 in Sport Rider Magazine.... I didnt really think I was going to buy one a few months later. I go to the D.C. Bike show each year, and there it was sitting there! The Blue/Black/Gold. At first I hated it in person. The rear looked funny.. like the front! But I sat on it! And it felt like a big 02 Gsxr 1k to me! I was like man this feels right! Liked the dash too! I sat on it like 5 times before I left the show. My friend saw that look in my eye. I called him 2 weeks later to see what type of deal he could get me. I then went to the local bike shop and sat on the Zx14 and then the busa.....back and forth I went on each bike. After 30 minutes I knew which one I was getting. It was just down to price and location of picking it up. We know which one I got!:laugh:

Are you buying new or used...?

All of them are great and have pluses, get the one that fits you the best... ;)

Back