Busa VS R1

Well I don't really know about their reliability but I always sort of felt that the x-plane crank was not ready for prime time especially after they had so many of them blow up right off the bat. I think the Ti internals will work though.

I guess we will have to wait and see. IMHO, I think Yamaha should stick to making pianos . . .:laugh:

The Busa in stock form isn't that fast anymore...almost every 1000cc super sport bike has similar power, less weight and more rider aids.
I don't even try taking on mates on newish sports bikes from anything but moderate road speed....they can just pin the throttle and go from a standing start.
I tried my V4 Tuono APRC against a racer mate on my Busa from a standing start and the Tuono with its launch control took off ...wasnt til well over 100mph that the Busa caught up.
Your mates weight might help but if he can use the electronics of the new R1 and hold on then your in trouble.
Now try the same with a pillion and the torque of the Busa comes into it against any 2up bike.

As for the x plane crank idea....it works...ask Josh Hayes..smoked everyone on his R1

I tried my V4 Tuono APRC against a racer mate on my Busa from a standing start and the Tuono with its launch control took off ...wasnt til well over 100mph that the Busa caught up.
Your mates weight might help but if he can use the electronics of the new R1 and hold on then your in trouble.
the small amount of spin a street bike a Busa will have on the street will far outweigh any launch control MOD any R1 is gonna have. Modding your left hand is the best launch control money can buy....:whistle::moon: if ur 150 whp V4 is out running ur Busa even in stock form then id say ur friend can't ride for shiit!

the small amount of spin a street bike a Busa will have on the street will far outweigh any launch control MOD any R1 is gonna have. Modding your left hand is the best launch control money can buy....:whistle::moon: if ur 150 whp V4 is out running ur Busa even in stock form then id say ur friend can't ride for shiit!

The Busa should have a torque advantage from a standing start, but it comes down to skill. Most of us never ride to that extent, as per the poll link below.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/149188-full-throttle-through-1st-2nd.html

i take it few of you have really tried a modern lightweight sports bike with launch control, quick shifters and so on....doesn't matter who the rider is..it will do the same sprint times every go and regularly do 10.2 quarters and you don't even need to do a practice....its takes a lot more than an average rider on a stock Busa to get anywhere near that never mind the likes of my racer mate who has maybe only ridden a Busa etc 2 or 3 times.
Torque is great but the Busa is still almost 70kg heavier and that makes a difference.
The new R1 is factory fitted launch control derived from the GP bikes so not a MOD....if its anything like the APRC system Aprilia use you just select Launch mode and open the throttle..once it sees the revs beyond 9k the engine is under ECU full control til the bike passes 90mph and the quick shifter enables totally seemless changes.
No idea what tyres or roads some of you use to get a small amount of spin doing sprint starts but on my local roads the Busa is still trying to spin by 3rd gear on the BT015's and if the weathers cold its almost unrideable

i take it few of you have really tried a modern lightweight sports bike with launch control, quick shifters and so on....doesn't matter who the rider is..it will do the same sprint times every go and regularly do 10.2 quarters and you don't even need to do a practice....its takes a lot more than an average rider on a stock Busa to get anywhere near that never mind the likes of my racer mate who has maybe only ridden a Busa etc 2 or 3 times.
Torque is great but the Busa is still almost 70kg heavier and that makes a difference.
The new R1 is factory fitted launch control derived from the GP bikes so not a MOD....if its anything like the APRC system Aprilia use you just select Launch mode and open the throttle..once it sees the revs beyond 9k the engine is under ECU full control til the bike passes 90mph and the quick shifter enables totally seemless changes.
No idea what tyres or roads some of you use to get a small amount of spin doing sprint starts but on my local roads the Busa is still trying to spin by 3rd gear on the BT015's and if the weathers cold its almost unrideable

Why bother putting a rider on it, might as well use a Robot? :whistle:

Why bother putting a rider on it, might as well use a Robot? :whistle:

In some ways very true but would you say the same about every GP rider...though I see they are planning a shake up of the racing rules to focus more on rider skill than electronics.
Look at cars etc with ABS and traction control etc...come the winter snow and the bulk of modern drivers ( in the UK at least ) can't drive without these features...even then they just burn out clutches and brakes

In some ways very true but would you say the same about every GP rider...though I see they are planning a shake up of the racing rules to focus more on rider skill than electronics.
Look at cars etc with ABS and traction control etc...come the winter snow and the bulk of modern drivers ( in the UK at least ) can't drive without these features...even then they just burn out clutches and brakes

Big difference between launch control down a straight line, just holding on while the bike does everyting and a Moto GP rider who has to pick the correct line, overtake, brake at exactly the right time and accelerate at exactly the right time. ???

Zombieland had a quote, it was "Nut up or shut up"

We can argue this until we are blue in the face, but the real world is different than paper

-D

The intrusion of electronics into the sport bike field has - in many ways - created more of a problem. Ecu flashing guys love it - we spend our time de-restricting and otherwise disabling all the "features" put there by manufacturers to "unleash" bikes and make them run right. We were doing seven-second quarters in the mid eighties with eight valve Kaws and NO electronics, not even multistage clutches, no boost controllers, no two-steps, nothing. We learned how to launch, how to clutch, how to listen to the motor and feel the bike. There was no substitute for talent. The good old days!:whistle:

My bad! Sorry about that, I mis-read what you were saying. You know the BMW was supposed to be a bad-a** bike, I'm not too impressed with those, either. And having built late model R1 engines, I would expect their newest engine to be true to their heritage of making hand grenades! I am not surprised when someone calls me about a "noise" in their R1 engine that turns out to be a rod knock . . .

I've yet to see a stock,swb BMW get out of the 10's at our local track in Fontana(and with experienced racers),traction control on and they tend to bog/turned off and all they do is wheelie through the first 3 gears.I ain't all that impressed with them either since swb,stock geared,piped Gen II's run 9.60's there all day long.

Jon Lombardos BMW walks away from my Busa with a Brocks pipe. I don't know if the bikes worked or stock. I do out weigh him by 100 pounds.

When I bought a new bike, what I bought was a Starting Point. After the first service, which is usually 2 easy days, it got at least a pipe, filter and fuel management..Now. it just gets a turbo.

Jon Lombardos BMW walks away from my Busa with a Brocks pipe. I don't know if the bikes worked or stock. I do out weigh him by 100 pounds.

With you and your bike outweighing him and his bike by probably 200 lbs. I can see it,especially from a roll on in 2nd or 3rd gear...that's a lot to overcome.:laugh:

The Busa in stock form isn't that fast anymore...almost every 1000cc super sport bike has similar power, less weight and more rider aids.
I don't even try taking on mates on newish sports bikes from anything but moderate road speed....they can just pin the throttle and go from a standing start.
Now try the same with a pillion and the torque of the Busa comes into it against any 2up bike.

As for the x plane crank idea....it works...ask Josh Hayes..smoked everyone on his R1

I think it was just Josh Hayes's year.
When was that, 6 years ago?
I remember being at VIR and watching in disgust, as the only thing worse than an R1 winning again, was that it's an R1 that sounds like a Harley.
They make no power til about, say 200 rpm before redline, and they need steering wheels instead of handlebars.
Because they require wayyy too much bar movement to turn.
Junk, junk, junk.
I hate an R1!
Just me, no offense:laugh:

Back