Balsa wood parts for weight reduction .

It is much cheaper with a bike! Car wise, for any given E.T. it will be cheaper to get there with chevy stuff, just the nature of racing. Chevy parts are more plentiful because they interchange better from the factory, more stuff = cheaper. A small block is a small block (mostly), parts will swap at least until you get to LS stuff, same with big block stuff.

Chevy Parts... Cheaper or Better? There are countless Foxbody's on the drag strips. I know five or six guys running foxbody's. None of them are poor. All are Chevy powered. Really how many Foxbody's did Ford make? Maybe to many.:) Either way I have ridden in a couple cars that run the high 8's. I am fine doing the same on a bike. I do not feel comfortable doing it in a car. To much crap to get away from if things go bad.

Chevy Parts... Cheaper or Better? There are countless Foxbody's on the drag strips. I know five or six guys running foxbody's. None of them are poor. All are Chevy powered. Really how many Foxbody's did Ford make? Maybe to many.:) Either way I have ridden in a couple cars that run the high 8's. I am fine doing the same on a bike. I do not feel comfortable doing it in a car. To much crap to get away from if things go bad.
Better because they're cheaper. To run a given number requires X amount of power, it can be made any number of ways, but GM parts will cost less than Ford for the same amount of power. Almost everyone is on a budget, where you spend counts....

Better because they're cheaper. To run a given number requires X amount of power, it can be made any number of ways, but GM parts will cost less than Ford for the same amount of power. Almost everyone is on a budget, where you spend counts....

I think my best answer and last answer to this is we can agree to disagree... I have been on drag strips for a little over 50 years. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. But I do have a clue... Anyway thank you for explaining that to me.

Last edited:
I did
I think my best answer and last answer to this is we can agree to disagree... I have been on drag strips for a little over 50 years. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. But I do have a clue... Anyway thank you for explaining that to me.
I didn't mean to offend.... I haven't been racing for 50 years, but it's not my first day either. Some people have no idea what drag racing is actually about, even when they think they do.
Explain to me how Chevy parts are better?

Time to step into the 21st century man. These prototype Mirror Extenders I 3D printed in PLA weigh ~26grams each before paint. I did a straight version early on that just push the mirrors straight out 1" which weighed ~13grams. PLA is not even the best or lightest material for these. I would eventually like to print them out of Carbon Fiber PLA or Carbon Polycarbonate, but thus far these have been on the bike for nearly two years now and they're still perfect.

3D printing allows you to make things that you simply cannot make using conventional construction methods. And small Printers are available for well under $200 now.
Capture2.jpg
Capture.JPG

Time to step into the 21st century man. These prototype Mirror Extenders I 3D printed in PLA weigh ~26grams each before paint. I did a straight version early on that just push the mirrors straight out 1" which weighed ~13grams. PLA is not even the best or lightest material for these. I would eventually like to print them out of Carbon Fiber PLA or Carbon Polycarbonate, but thus far these have been on the bike for nearly two years now and they're still perfect.

3D printing allows you to make things that you simply cannot make using conventional construction methods. And small Printers are available for well under $200 now.
View attachment 1589198View attachment 1589199

I love 3D printers but the problem I always had was finding a user friendly modeling program.
D.

And it is this right here that sets c10 apart from many others. Ask and ye shall receive, this was a direct response to WuzzaCBX jokingly suggesting balsa wood parts. Well there you have it c10 has incorporated balsa wood parts briefly on his bike lol. If nothing else he now has some cool decorations for his christmas tree. Hayabusa mirror extender ornaments.

It's been a few years but everyone used to say "use Blender" I tried blender and what a nightmare it was to use. I'll look into the two you mentioned and see if I can make time to invest in the learning curve.

I'm old school ,and 3d print is just to much for me to deal with . I already struggle with computers / programs in fire alarm work . I have a good friend who does 3D print . Big tool would you share your file so I could have him print me the straight version you made please ?

All in guys the balsa was a joke , but do like the light weight options it has produced :)

I'm old school ,and 3d print is just to much for me to deal with . I already struggle with computers / programs in fire alarm work . I have a good friend who does 3D print . Big tool would you share your file so I could have him print me the straight version you made please ?

All in guys the balsa was a joke , but do like the light weight options it has produced :)

Hey, who was joking?:laugh:

Back