Weight reduction

Curious to know..

How much lighter is the Hayabusa when the stock exhaust and headers are swapped with a full exhaust?
With the Akropovic Evolution you save 20 lbs on a California model and 18 lbs lighter for all the other states
wink.gif

In my opinion probably 75% of the people that own busa's can't even ride the bike to its fullest potential. Myself being one of them. But am constantly learning what the busa can and can't do, and then getting better at my weaknesses. If youi want to mod the bike for weight I'd say change the exhaust and get a PC3. After that take some riding courses and actually be able to push the bike to its potential. All the mods in the world cant make up for a lack of riding skill.:)

Wow ... I'm a little shocked and surprised by the mixed reactions to my "Ronin Make-Over Project". I thought I was doing a good thing?? The idea came into my head last year when Yamaha created the special edition R1. I just wanted a lighter, better handling, and better braking Hayausa. Hayabusa being the keyword. So I commissioned Greg to make this happen for me. Haven't most of us put these mods on our wish list for the next Hayabusa? Are some of you saying that Yamaha should have directed their customers to an R6 versus buying their special edition R1?? In any case, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind that thinks these mods on a Busa are a waste, just expressing my reasons for doing so by comparing my mindset to what Yamaha might have been thinking with their R1 project. I'll be writing a detailed report after riding it this weekend.
Peace ... DJ
i like what you are doing and am looking forward to reading your report...what you are doing doesn't fit my particular riding style but if it works for you-more power to you...

as far as buying a 1000, some of us don't fit on them real well or like the way they ride so to get what we want, it works better with a 'Busa as a base...

to repeat what several previous posts have said-figure out what you want first, then find the most efficient way to get there

i bought my 'Busa last year and spent some time trying to learn how to ride it (first sport bike owned)...during that time, i looked, listened, and tried to pick people's brains (read a lot of old threads here also-thanks for all the info folks
smile.gif
)now i've started with the mods and i think i know where i'm headed with it

good luck bro...i think you'll be happy with what you have when you are done...and don't forget the write-up and pics
biggrin.gif

Wow ... I'm a little shocked and surprised by the mixed reactions to my "Ronin Make-Over Project". I thought I was doing a good thing?? The idea came into my head last year when Yamaha created the special edition R1. I just wanted a lighter, better handling, and better braking Hayausa. Hayabusa being the keyword. So I commissioned Greg to make this happen for me. Haven't most of us put these mods on our wish list for the next Hayabusa? Are some of you saying that Yamaha should have directed their customers to an R6 versus buying their special edition R1?? In any case, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind that thinks these mods on a Busa are a waste, just expressing my reasons for doing so by comparing my mindset to what Yamaha might have been thinking with their R1 project. I'll be writing a detailed report after riding it this weekend.
Peace ... DJ
i like what you are doing and am looking forward to reading your report...what you are doing doesn't fit my particular riding style but if it works for you-more power to you...

as far as buying a 1000, some of us don't fit on them real well or like the way they ride so to get what we want, it works better with a 'Busa as a base...

to repeat what several previous posts have said-figure out what you want first, then find the most efficient way to get there

i bought my 'Busa last year and spent some time trying to learn how to ride it (first sport bike owned)...during that time, i looked, listened, and tried to pick people's brains (read a lot of old threads here also-thanks for all the info folks
smile.gif
)now i've started with the mods and i think i know where i'm headed with it

good luck bro...i think you'll be happy with what you have when you are done...and don't forget the write-up and pics
biggrin.gif
+1

Does anyone reading this remember the all carbon Hayabusa that I think was on Nick Slicks (could be wrong) website a few years ago? That bike was the epitomy of what is being discussed here. I think it was Sub 400LB fueled. And V-A-S-T quantities of cash to get there!

Now for a really off the wall question. Does anyone know off hand about how much difference in weight there is between a 180 and a 190 rear tire for a given make (call it Pilot Power)? Minute I know but hey thats what were talking about here once you get past wheels and exhaust.

the 190-50-17 is 12.64 lbs.   the 180-55-17 is 12.22 lbs.   so you would save .42 lbs.

<!--EDIT|semicps
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156523484 -->

Do you remember that feeling when you picked up and rode your first Busa? That is how I felt this morning when I went to take Ronin for it's second maiden voyage. As you can see from the before and after first pics below, just the cosmetic mods put a huge smile on my face. I am knocked off of my feet by the attention to detail that GPW has shown my bike. Trust me, we did not post all of the little but important cosmetic changes he did to Ronin. Anyway, after fixing my face and adjusting to that renewed "Busa Grin", I fired it up and listened with happiness to the growl of my new Brock pipes ... kickstand up and immediately felt the weight loss as I took off for the closest curvy road. More to grin about as I came to the first stop sign and touched the front brakes ... now I have REAL brakes. Leaning into the first tight curve was effortless compared to before. Now I feel that I can easily do 3 or 4 twelve hour rides back to back in the twisties (and I'm an old man)! Next we rode over to Cycle Connections for my man Shawn to hook me up with a custom map for the Brocks. The first run was a 153 hp, Shawn did his magic with the air fuel ratio and fuel settings and my last run was a 166 hp ... see pics below.

Seriously, I could write forever about how happy I am with Ronin's makeover after 3 1/2 years and 20,000 miles. I don't have the right words to do Greg's work justice, so I'm just going to go ride and let my smile speak for me. Hopefully, Tom and Warren will take Ronin for a spin tomorrow and give their opinions. My riding skills in the twisties were average at best (No chicken strips on my tires), but now with the weight loss, the upgraded suspension, and the upgraded brakes, I expect my confidence level will go up and so will my level of riding. Much thanks to Greg (GPW) and to Tom (Postal), John (Hogger), and all of the vendors we used to make Ronin's transition a successful one.

* there are some pics in my Ronin Makeover thread *

DJ

I knocked off 30 lbs:
- Stock Ca Exhaust
+ Akrapovic Ti Exhaust & Powercommander
- Stock rearsets
+ Vortex adjustable Rearsets
- Stock undetail/lights/signals
+ Hotbodies undertail w/integrated signals
- PAIR
cost around $2.5k

<!--EDIT|Caveman-6
Reason for Edit: "Akrapovic spelled Acro"|1157068560 -->

30 pounds? How with those items? I can understand from the stock exhaust and undertail getting rid of some unwanted (dead weight). But thats a lot. Can you give specific weight on each item please? Just wondering.

The stock system is about 30 lbs. It may be more. The ackra TI system weighs roughly 7 lbs.

i installed a 4 to 1 full titanium exhaust and I immediately noticed the difference in the weight just sitting on it in the driveway. The stock system weighs about 18-20 lbs, and the one I put on weighs almost half of that. Feels better in the corners too.:cool:

GPW....I think i saw you Quote..."If you put moth balls in ur gas tank at night it will give it more horsepower"
laugh.gif

30 pounds? How with those items? I can understand from the stock exhaust and undertail getting rid of some unwanted (dead weight). But thats a lot. Can you give specific weight on each item please? Just wondering.
I kept a record. Give me a day to find it,and I'll list the deltas.
+ Note that I have the california exhaust so I saved around 20 lbs there (will post exact tomorrow).
+ The rear undertail/lights/signals were also very heavy (lots of metal screws and casing in that Brake light assembly) and the Hotbodies replacement made a big difference.
+ The PAIR and plumbing is several pounds while the blockoff plates are just a few ounces..

<!--EDIT|Caveman-6
Reason for Edit: "better picture and explanation"|1157045893 -->

rear_view.jpg

Here are the differences (to the nearest 1/2 pound):
1) Exhaust
- Stock CA Exhaust = 31.0 lb
+ Akro Evo Ti Exhaust = 9.0 lb  
savings  = 22.0 lbs
2) Undertail
- Stock undertail, lights and signals = 3.5 lbs
+ Hotbodies undertail w/integrated signals = 0.5 lbs
savings = 3.0 lbs
3) Rearsets
- Stock = 4.5 lbs
+ Vortex adjustable = 2.5 lbs
savings = 2 lbs
4) PAIR
- Pair and plumbing = 2.5 lbs
savings = 2.5 lbs

Total =29.5 lbs

you can get 3 more pounds if you remove the kickstand and use a chock at the track.

I also had a bar riser I pulled that was 1.5 pounds

these two get me down a total of 34 pounds.

For the track you really want to go lighter - a turbo (see post above) wont help you on a tight track.

<!--EDIT|Caveman-6
Reason for Edit: "fixed typo"|1157125002 -->

e2703_std.jpg

add...lightweight wheels, sprocket and chain to that formula and she is almost as light as she can get. The un-sprung (things that don't move with the suspension) is where you want to hammer weight loss the most. Good work!

Mine is down to 450 full of fuel. Thats with the smaller tank only holding 3.5 gallons. Aluminum subframe, all unnecessary stuff cut off, magnesium wheels (carbon ones later today), Turbo setup, no exhaust except for dump pipe, All carbon everything, no rear seat capability, and lots more I cant think of at 2am.

(clrwtrbusa @ Sep. 10 2006,23:58) Mine is down to 450 full of fuel. Thats with the smaller tank only holding 3.5 gallons. Aluminum subframe, all unnecessary stuff cut off, magnesium wheels (carbon ones later today), Turbo setup, no exhaust except for dump pipe, All carbon everything, no rear seat capability, and lots more I cant think of at 2am.
Which (what manuf.) carbon wheels did you go with ?
Frankly, I'm scared to run carbon wheels on the track or at high speed. Do you have any experinece/statistics about Carbon wheel reliability/failures ?
Thanks!

Back