Busa weight reduction on 99-07 Gen I?

I've got a list of things I did that pretty much everyone else has more or less have done but not record the weight differences. I used a calibrated hanging fish scale for consistency.

For now I'll use my Gen I 2006 pre-turbocharged bike which is pretty much stock. This will include any weight I added right back from some aftermarket stuff.

So with that said, with absolutely no fuel in the tank, my bike currently weighs 500lbs. Plus the bike still has stock dual exhaust. I weighed every bit of weight removed, cut out or added down to the ounce. There are still some other stuff I can still do without making the bike appear hacked.

So fuel being roughly 6.25lbs per gallon and the tank capacity at 5.5 gallons, add about 34lbs back to the bike and you get 534lbs. Some people say the Busa weighs 550lbs with fuel. I removed a little over 21lbs of weight, thus putting the bike's stock weight up to 555lbs which includes the added performance parts. So it seems pretty accurate when everyone says that a stock Hayabusa weighs 550lbs full of fluids.

That 21lbs can equate to a .1 and 1mph in the qtr.

On my old 2001 Busa I had a Brock/Hindle exhaust w/TI canister, it weighed 8lbs where the stock exhaust weighed in at 30lbs. 22lbs weight savings there. That's the extremely thin stainless. Some TI exhausts are a little lighter by a few lbs at most.

After the inexpensive stuff has been done then you best go out and get a nice big credit line of credit cause it aint cheap from here on.

Get lightweight wheels such as Forged Aluminum Marchesinis and there will be about a 7lbs difference from both front and rear wheels total comparing complete wheels to complete stock wheels. BSTs or Dymag Carbons you see about 12lbs total or a little more. And don't forget the reciprocating advantages in those wheels. Carbon fiber body parts and some more weight. Drilled Titanium bolts, nuts and washers and a few pounds can be lost. Titanium brake rotor bolts will lose 1/4lb over stock.

Last edited:
Back