Weight reduction

V8N3T

More mods plz..
Donating Member
Registered
Hey again, I was reading around on a couple of things. And I remember GPW telling me how important weight is, and how "and dont quote me on these exact numbers" each pound of weight loss = gain in 2lb's of torque. And I wanted to ask how that equates to HP, if it does at all. Or how that help you out, But I was told by some1 who may be wrong that a whole lot of torque is bad for your clutch.

Also, a stock busa weighs 480'lbs roughly, and a stock GSX1000R weighs 365'lbs roughly. So my question is this, to get a busa weighing 100'lbs difference or even 65'lbs difference, what does it take? I know key components would be Rim's and Rotor's and Shocks (front/rear). But what else? And if you know any recemendation's, can you list your part's weight in comparison to the stock weight of that part's origin. Thanks a bunch yall, just doing some research on weight reduction (food for thought). I'll see if I can sneak a view of this thread from work today, but with us getting a Bird(aircraft) into phase(type of special work) we may be pretty busy. Thanks again yall.

or if you are built like me, you could just go on a diet
laugh.gif

Well ya can save about 12lbs with a set of Carbon Fiber wheels...they will cost ya
about FOUR GRAND
wow.gif

Might want to think about that diet
rock.gif
unless you gots some big $$$

It's gonna cost money to reduce the weight, but you can offset it by selling the stock stuff. Greg (GPW) just did it with his and is doing it with DJ's bike, so just PM him and ask.

Listen I am usually pretty level headed but if you are going to quote me based on a phone conversation, which I don't want you doing anymore after reading this post, get it right. I said losing "1lb. of un-sprung mass is almost equal to 4lbs. of sprung mass" and thats theory not physics. There is a correlation between weight and horsepower loss and I don't know the actual quote, so I am not going to mis-quote.

On motorcycle forums you are only as good as what you know or how you go about finding answers to your questions. This is the second time you have opened a thread quoting me incorrectly. Also, torque and your clutch are two different ball fields. Spend some time reading first, the answers you seek are here. Not being an arse, I like your enthusiasm but...........think before you type please.  
newbie.gif

<!--EDIT|GPW
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156361484 -->

Listen I am usually pretty level headed but if you are going to quote me based on a phone conversation, which I don't want you doing anymore after reading this post, get it right. I said losing "1lb. of un-sprung mass is almost equal to 4lbs. of sprung mass" and thats theory not physics. There is a correlation between weight and horsepower loss and I don't know the actual quote, so I am not going to mis-quote.

On motorcycle forums you are only as good as what you know or how you go about finding answers to your questions. This is the second time you have opened a thread quoting me incorrectly. Also, torque and your clutch are two different ball fields. Spend some time reading first, the answers you seek are here. Not being an arse, I like your enthusiasm but...........think before you type please.  
newbie.gif
newbie.gif

rock.gif

newbie.gif

GPW, Not only will I not try and use any information here on this forum as if you were helping me, so that way you will not be assosiated with a non-spelling NEWBIE like me. I wont try and quote you at all. I am sorry for pissing you off, just trying to learn something on this forum. Everyone has to learn somewhere. And not all of us have the time Civilians have to sit down and read and read and read, so I have to ask some of these questions so Im not killing time trying to find something thats NOT on this forum that ive looked for.

My original question was in regards to weight loss and how it effects acceleration and the formula you told me about. But nevermind anything I have ever brought your name up in about. Nor will it ever happen again.

newbie.gif
Maybe ya could send him a PM
rock.gif

And I remember GPW telling me how important weight is, and how "and dont quote me on these exact numbers" each pound of weight loss = gain in 2lb's of torque.
GPW, in all fairness to VN83T, he did say "and don't quote me" when regarding the figures you provided.

Please..post away. I am a newbie here as well. Just leave....me out of it please.

<!--EDIT|GPW
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156365475 -->

And I remember GPW telling me how important weight is, and how "and dont quote me on these exact numbers" each pound of weight loss = gain in 2lb's of torque.
GPW, in all fairness to VN83T, he did say "and don't quote me" when regarding the figures you provided.
+1
My Dad told me there is never stupid questions .just stupid answers. If you dont ask you will never know...And he only used your name as an example what i got from his post is that he could not actually rember your excact quote so he was asking for more info on the subject ...No harm no foul lifes to short to get bent over that...We are all here to learn i for one have asked alot of dumb questions on here .i will be the first to admit that..
beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|BusaSamurai
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156366348 -->

I had a bad day today I apologize for being snappy...
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|GPW
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156367637 -->

beerchug.gif

Reducing rotating weight will gain the most benefit. Wheels, tires, brake rotors. Reducing the weight of rotating/moving parts in the engine will also gain an advantage. As far as static parts go (non rotating/moving), the single most effective weight reduction can come from replacing the stock exhaust with a performance 4 into 1 system. Stock system is very heavy. A new exhaust will also add a few ponies of its own for your troubles, but you'll be needing to add the PCIII at this point.

Hope this helps!

Back