The wheel thread...weights

teezy

Registered
Been trying to find out info about lighter then stock BUSA wheels and options. Also the gains and such. See if I can get most of it all in one thread.

The GSXR 1000 wheels: Thanks to 02BLKnBLU for the info..

The FRONTS will include the weight of the wheel, bearings, and tires. NO ROTORS. The Front Tires are all 120/70/17.

Front Busa Chrome: 1/2 Tread Shinko 005
19.8 lbs
Front Busa Black: New Shinko 003
19.6 lbs
Front 1000 Blue: New Battlax 15
18.0 lbs

The REARS will include the weight of the wheel, bearings, tires. Sprocket and Rotor are specified. The Rear are all 190/50/17.

Rear Busa Chrome: Bald Shinko 003, OEM Rotor, OEM Sprocket
35.4 lbs
Rear Busa Black: 1/2 Tread Shinko 003, NO Rotor, Alum Vortex Sprocket
30.8 lbs
Rear 1000 Blue: Near New Battlax 15, OEM Rotor, OEM Sprocket
31.0 lbs

The thread on it

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/busa...busa-wheel-weight-comparison.html#post2461317

If your looking to do the swap here is a link

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/busa...sxr-1000-hayabusa-wheel-swap-thread-pics.html

Thanks to PROFESSOR for the link to after market wheel weights. Professor said he dropped about .015 when I went to Marvics and gained 2hp on a back to back dyno pull.

MARVIC claims- We have documented improvements in both ET and MPH in drag racing applications. For a hayabusa one would expect to see your ET drop by .015 with a MPH increase of 2mph which is roughly 3hp.

Suzuki
Weight: front: 10.28 lbs.; rear: 16.80 lbs.

Blackstone Tek
Weight: front: 5.50 lbs.; rear: 10.38 lbs.

Carrozzeria
Weight: front: 9.42 lbs.; rear: 14.02 lbs.

Dymag Custom Carbon
Weight: front: 7.30 lbs.; rear: 12.38 lbs.

JB-Power
Weight: front: 6.86 lbs.; rear: 11.62 lbs.

Lightcon Twin System
Weight: front: 11.64 lbs.; rear: 19.56 lbs.

Marchesini forged aluminum
Weight: front: 8.82 lbs.; rear: 13.80 lbs.

Marchesini forged magnesium
Weight: front: 6.54 lbs.; rear: 11.12 lbs.

Marvic Penta
Weight: front: 7.46 lbs.; rear: 12.16 lbs.

Marvic Piuma
Weight: front: 7.16 lbs.*; rear: 11.84 lbs.*

O*Z HL02
Weight: front: 8.40 lbs.; rear: 15.54 lbs.

Performance Machine Gatlin
Weight: front: 14.56 lbs.; rear: 19.48 lbs.

Performance Machine Revolution
Weight: front: 9.14 lbs.; rear: 13.16 lbs.

PVM Forged Aluminum Y5
Weight: front: 7.96 lbs.; rear: 13.44 lbs.

PVM Forged Magnesium Y5
Weight: front: 5.60 lbs.*; rear: 9.76 lbs.*

RC Components Seabring
Weight: front: 10.42 lbs.; rear: 15.42 lbs.

If you want to read the whole article
Hoop It Up: Sportbike Wheel Comparison - Sport Rider Magazine[/QUOTE]

Thanks to DNGRUMPY for these weights {99-07}

Stock wheel weights:
front, no rotors, w/ valve stem 10lbs 7oz
rear, w/ cush and steel 40t sprocket 19lbs 7oz

Carrozzeria wheel weights:
front, no rotors, w/ bolt-in steel stem 7lbs 11oz
rear, w/cush and steel 40t sprocket 15lbs 12oz

Savings of 6lbs 7oz (roughly 6 1/2lbs)

Drag racers can give you their opinions on ETs and mph, and the gains aren't dramatic for the guy who just likes to drag race for fun.
The most noticeable improvement is through curves when flicking side to side, as the bike will feel lighter and smoother.
I've ridden 1000s with aftermarket wheels and it was a noticeable improvement. I'de love a set of BSTs for the Busa.

Biggest diff I noticed was the 'flickability'. Before with factory wheels the bike was alot harder to change lanes and maneuver quickly.

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between Marchesini magnesium and aluminum wheels?
Any particular distinguishing marks or emblems? From reading weights above I'm just curious because the above I didn't safe as much as it states I should have. I did buy them off ebay from a fairly reputable seller but you never know. Other than taking a metal scraping for testing what else can I do?

Blanca, any stampings/markings on the rims? In addition to size/dimensions, maybe those letters/numbers also indicate TYPE of metal??

Blanca, any stampings/markings on the rims? In addition to size/dimensions, maybe those letters/numbers also indicate TYPE of metal??

Don't know. Gonna inspect them tonight. Isn't there some sort of metal meter that you can simply touch metals with that will tell you what kind it is?

Blanca Busa said:
Isn't there some sort of metal meter that you can simply touch metals with that will tell you what kind it is?

I just happen to have access to one. Send me a 1/2" diameter chunk and I will test it. :)

Suzuki
Weight: front: 10.28 lbs.; rear: 16.80 lbs.

If I remember correctly this was for an OEM 1000 wheel Up to about 2007. Current wheels are lighter
A Gen 1 busa rear will be quite a bit heavier (as you posted) The Gen II wheels will fall in between.
Also I have pretty good reason to believe that the 1999-and possibly 2000 busa rear wheels are lighter than the 2001-2007 Busa wheels. I’ve still have a chrome on that came off of Dave O’s 99. I think I’ve posted the weights on it before. Picture is of the wheel we are talking about. Even chromed it was lighter than other 4 rear wheels I had. I also another wheel that was dated 2000 by the chrome that was light.

911-brock02.jpg

The R1 wheel mod is the best bet dollar for dollar. They are lighter than the gsxr rims. Theres a couple threads that compare the weight

Back